Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
nseldy

Drives: '99 M6 SS
Stupid Y-pipe....

I came across some of the factory performance options and noticed they offered a factory cat-back exhaust. Not sure if the picture I saw was accurate but it looked like a stupid Y-pipe! Similiar to what came on the 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies! This is a brand new car with the newest technology! why would it have a Y-pipe!!? I know the performance of a large Y-pipe is similiar to true-duals but IMO they sound like shit!! Sorry for the bitchfest but, my current LS1 has true duals with X-pipe and I would never go back to a shitty Y-pipe. It should have true duals from the factory, just like the Corvette. Can anybody validate whether or not it does in fact have a Y-Pipe? Thx
nseldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I think the one you say was for the V6...
Look for the thread" I saw one, sat in one, ordered one"
In there you will see a lot of pictures, one of which shows under the car and what looks to be a X-pipe!!!! I think you will be much happier after you see those pictures.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
whats wrong with a y-pipe? im running one right now. and honestly depending on the power you are pushing, true duals w/x-pipe is almost overkill. however the size of the exhaust comes to play. a 3" y-pipe will out flow a 2.5" true dual setup. but not by much.

you gotta realize that this car is not just for the enthusiast. its for everyone. and not everyone wants a true dual setup.

not to mention for the v-6... true duals dont make it sound like a v-8, neither does a y-pipe, but still...lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
The Camaro v6 and v8 will both have x-pipes. If you ask me that was just a pic they slapped on there without thinking too much about it. I thought the same thing for a while though, and then decided I'm probably going with Bassani or Kooks with Spintech anyways. Usually, not always...but usually, manufacturer exhaust systems aren't the best out there, and still close to the same price. Same for Intake. But I WILL be gettin' the Hurst 6spd
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
nseldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
In there you will see a lot of pictures, one of which shows under the car and what looks to be a X-pipe!!!! I think you will be much happier after you see those pictures.
whew thats good to hear!! THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
whats wrong with a y-pipe? im running one right now. and honestly depending on the power you are pushing, true duals w/x-pipe is almost overkill. however the size of the exhaust comes to play. a 3" y-pipe will out flow a 2.5" true dual setup. but not by much.
you gotta realize that this car is not just for the enthusiast. its for everyone. and not everyone wants a true dual setup.not to mention for the v-6... true duals dont make it sound like a v-8, neither does a y-pipe, but still...lol
Y-pipes aren't all that bad, but they not gonna increase performance over a properly sized true-dual set up. All the Vettes have true duals, that should speak for itself. The main thing i don't like with Y-pipe is sound. IMO true-duals just sound better, buts thats just my opinion. To each his own
Old 10-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
arent h pipes supposedly better?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
arent h pipes supposedly better?
I think the X pipe makes more power but the H, sounds "better" IMO. My friend had a H on his mustang and it sounded loud and great. But then he added an X and some of the great sound changed and its not a loud as it was before.
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
nseldy

I dont' care if it's X or H pipe.....just not a Y pipe
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I hope its not a y-pipe, that would be ok, but I much prefer X. H would be cool to but I just don't think the majority of buyers want their car to be that loud.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post

hey...that's my thread!!
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nseldy View Post
I dont' care if it's X or H pipe.....just not a Y pipe
So you wouldn't mind a U pipe? I'm joking.
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I believe it's been said that that was just a generic image they had; not representative of the actual catback. If you compare images of the exhaust (well, the chassis) there's not really a practical way for that catback to be installed on the car. My point - that image was generic and we'll be getting true dual exhuast with an X-pipe; that's at least what I've personally put together. Everything up to now points to that, anyways...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Yes, JohnnyCamaro said that was just some pic they had. It is an X pipe.

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
This is the best image I can find of the exhaust that's been released and it seems clear to me that when comparing this image with others that have been posted here that the catback on GM's accessory board is probably not representative. Dual exhaust with an X-pipe (and this is on the V6 model)
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote