Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Vinyl Racing Stripes looking dull

I see Adamís has a VRT that can clean vinyl stripes. Anyone use it?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #2
Dave-G

Drives: 2011 RS/2LT- manual
I have not, but I did see a post on another site where someone used it on their faded stripes, and they said it worked pretty well. His pictures definitely looked like there was a difference.
Dave-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-G View Post
I have not, but I did see a post on another site where someone used it on their faded stripes, and they said it worked pretty well. His pictures definitely looked like there was a difference.
Itís not expensive so I think I am going to try it. They canít look any worse, 8 years of northern Midwest life takes its toll on the exterior.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
Dave-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
Itís not expensive so I think I am going to try it. They canít look any worse, 8 years of northern Midwest life takes its toll on the exterior.
Worth a try! Post up the results when you do it.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #5
0stones0
It donít come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Old 08-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #6
Ernie70

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro 1LT
I have gloss stripes , and was told that using regular polishes is just fine . But , again that is for the gloss stripes , not the matt finish.
Ernie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:29 PM   #7
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Ordered and on its way. I will post some before and after pics.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:04 PM   #8
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Did a cleaning and application. Here is what I used and the before pictures. It got dark on me so I will take after pictures in the morning.

Started with the waterless cleaner then applied a thin coat of VRT. I will wait till morning for a full evaluation, but based on what I could see tonight there is little change. I have 8 years of oxidation, I guess I was asking a bit much from this cleaner.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2022, 10:05 PM   #9
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

It’s hard to see in the photos, but my silver stripes are white, gray and silver. Really blotchy.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:19 PM   #10
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

So…the product is easy to use. It cleaned up easily. But… the stripes are too far gone. Not the products fault, it’s not a miracle in a bottle.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
Dave-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
SoÖthe product is easy to use. It cleaned up easily. ButÖ the stripes are too far gone. Not the products fault, itís not a miracle in a bottle.
Bummer, but yeah, those stripes are definitely beat. What's next, remove and replace, or let it ride?
Old 08-17-2022, 10:02 PM   #12
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-G View Post
Bummer, but yeah, those stripes are definitely beat. What's next, remove and replace, or let it ride?
Havenít decided yet. If I take them off I will have to use compound to get an even color. Or I gotta find a shop that can do a good job with stripes.

Toying with the idea of vinyl wrap, or a paint job.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #13
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I removed my stripes with a steam cleaner that I bought off of Amazon for $30. The vinyl was old and brittle but with the heat It shrunk right up and came off essentially in 1 piece with little to no residue left over. I still need to do a paint correction, well, a polish really... but it was super easy to remove with the steamer gun. Highly recommend it if you go that route. I don't have ghost stripes as alot of people mention, but my car is Summit white, only has 40k miles on it and spends a fair amount of time in the carport. But, I can see where the stripes were in the reflection of the sun, so I need to buff the paint to remove those little lines.

Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, X-pipe and Mufflers. Cold air inductions Cold air intake with JRE intake scoop mod. Tuned by Redline Motorsports. MGW Shifter. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:29 PM   #14
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I removed my stripes with a steam cleaner that I bought off of Amazon for $30. The vinyl was old and brittle but with the heat It shrunk right up and came off essentially in 1 piece with little to no residue left over. I still need to do a paint correction, well, a polish really... but it was super easy to remove with the steamer gun. Highly recommend it if you go that route. I don't have ghost stripes as alot of people mention, but my car is Summit white, only has 40k miles on it and spends a fair amount of time in the carport. But, I can see where the stripes were in the reflection of the sun, so I need to buff the paint to remove those little lines.
Thanks for the heads up on the steamer, do you remember the brand? Iím still leaning towards painting new stripes on with an effect, like ghost flames or something. If Iím paying for paint itís going to be something different than the norm.