Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #57
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
even my truck has a different serpentine belt diagram printed under the hood for an A/C delete, so it must've been a pretty big deal. them yankees don't necessarily have to have it. heck, it's only warm enough to roll the windows down a couple days a year anyway
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #58
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Any word on what the numbers are on an LS9 Camaro does? Did Henessy finally deliver one or what? I want to know was it worth it or not.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #59
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
Any word on what the numbers are on an LS9 Camaro does? Did Henessy finally deliver one or what? I want to know was it worth it or not.
Yep, see: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43826
Old 09-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #60
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
you are welcome..lol..if its not supercharged i will be a fan of it
THANK YOU!!! Another N/A guy!! Give me the LS7 with all the goodies.
GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinkin g:
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #61
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
THANK YOU!!! Another N/A guy!! Give me the LS7 with all the goodies.
GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinkin g:
I want to see a N/A Z/28 and a Supercharged LZ1......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #62
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
My vote is for the supercharged GT500 fighter to be a ZL1 or something. Save the Z28 for a lighter, but still powerful, version with trick suspension.

You guys clamor for low/no options but as far as I can tell a bluetooth unit doesn't weigh much, nor does A/C. I want to drive my car daily in the mid-atlantic and no A/C is a deal breaker about 3-4 months of the year. Not to mention defrosters don't work well when you don't have the dehumidification that A/C provides. And I have removed the air conditioning from a modern car ('95 Formula). It didn't weigh much at all. 25lbs *tops*.

Put forged 19" wheels and a carbon fiber hood on it with an LS7, maybe some aluminum suspension pieces and hollow sway bars and we're talking 150lbs at least. I'd pay more for that. Swap the exhaust and maybe we're in the 200lbs less than an SS range. Hell yeah I might even be able to take it autocrossing at that point!
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #63
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
I'm not sure how much weight can really be gotten out of it. Especially if there is a supercharger added.
At any rate, if they don't use the Z28 name, then rename the SS the Z28. Cobalt SS is on it's way out. Does anyone ever see an Impala SS?
Any Chevy can be an SS. Only a Camaro can be a Z28.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #64
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
1LE A/C Delete.... you would be shocked at how many of these parts have been sold. (In the 4th Gen Camaros lifespan).
Air conditioning was standard on 1LE f-bodies from '96 on. I've never seen one built MY96+ that was a delete car. Not saying they don't exist, but there used to be a bunch of 1LEs running around the SCCA Solo circuit so I had a decent sample group for reference.

I have seen an A/C delete B4C, though. Weird. I think it was from way up north.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #65
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
I was thinking if they came out with "track pack" option of their own, they could name that one 1LE. It's hard for me to believe they'll build a "super Camaro" and make it stripped. You just don't see stripped cars anymore. And i'm in Arizona. I can't even imagine a no A/C car out here. Maybe they could put some lighter weight wheels for one. But you know weight shouldn't inhibit the car totally. The new GTR is 3,860. The Ferrari 599 is right at 4,000 pounds. The Aston Martin DBS is 3,800. Not to mention the GT500 at 3,990. And it's live axle. Put lower profile tires, drop the car a quarter of an inch, and you'll pick up some handling right there.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #66
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEnos View Post
My vote is for the supercharged GT500 fighter to be a ZL1 or something. Save the Z28 for a lighter, but still powerful, version with trick suspension.

You guys clamor for low/no options but as far as I can tell a bluetooth unit doesn't weigh much, nor does A/C. I want to drive my car daily in the mid-atlantic and no A/C is a deal breaker about 3-4 months of the year. Not to mention defrosters don't work well when you don't have the dehumidification that A/C provides. And I have removed the air conditioning from a modern car ('95 Formula). It didn't weigh much at all. 25lbs *tops*.

Put forged 19" wheels and a carbon fiber hood on it with an LS7, maybe some aluminum suspension pieces and hollow sway bars and we're talking 150lbs at least. I'd pay more for that. Swap the exhaust and maybe we're in the 200lbs less than an SS range. Hell yeah I might even be able to take it autocrossing at that point!
I think you have the right Idea, I would like to see a carbon fiber roof & Fenders and light wieght seats. I don't think a carbon fiber hood would cut much wieght, by my understanding it is not that heavy. I say they would have to cut about 300lbs of weight if they make the Z28 a N.A. car, and the LS7 will need to get a hp bump up to about 550hp. Forge alluminium 20" wheels with CTS-V brakes would be nice.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #67
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
I want to see a N/A Z/28 and a Supercharged LZ1......
I could live with that....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #68
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I could live with that....
We need to start a group....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #69
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
I would say that America is a little different now than it was 40 years ago. Comparing what worked in '69 to what will work now is pretty poor idea. Back then a/c was an option on all cars. Most Camaros back then didn't come with a/c. Nowdays, I can't think of a single car that doesn't come STANDARD with a/c. Times have changed a little. GM would be pretty stupid to predict sales based on what worked 40 years ago.
Well gee, perhaps they shouldn't even build a new Z/28, after all, that's a model that came out 42 years ago! Sure America is a little different (actually a whole lot different, but that's a different thread/forum about how different), what you are not understanding is that the Z/28 based on the ideas/proposals we have seen will NOT be a high volume, mass market vehicle. Many of the "performance junkies" that will be the target market for the new Z/28 are less likely to be overly concerned about having every available amenity, most will be more concerned with the performance numbers. And in spite of a high percentage of the vehicles having AC on them in the late '60s, Z/28s sold well with no AC available. And you're losing the focus of the new Z/28, it's not so much what comfort options will or will not be available (and I think most will be available), it's about performance. You chose to focus solely on my mention of the original Z/28 not being available with AC, but it was also not available with auto transmission or in a convertible (and let me guess, you'll now be stating that people didn't buy those either "back in the day"). I worked at two dealerships back then and saw what was on the lots and what people were buying, I think I have a pretty good idea about how cars were equipped back then.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #70
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
I think you have the right Idea, I would like to see a carbon fiber roof & Fenders and light wieght seats. I don't think a carbon fiber hood would cut much wieght, by my understanding it is not that heavy. I say they would have to cut about 300lbs of weight if they make the Z28 a N.A. car, and the LS7 will need to get a hp bump up to about 550hp. Forge alluminium 20" wheels with CTS-V brakes would be nice.
Depends what you quantify as 'much' weight. In the vendors section, a new vendor has a replacement carbon fiber trunk lid and it saves somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 pounds. A hood is way bigger than a trunk deck, so I could see saving in the area of 50 pounds... give or take a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote