Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 11-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
sfzobie

Drives: -
Installed front Camera, Power Source Question

I installed a wireless front camera to help with parking, the 1LE front spoiler is pretty low, and after cracking mine I decided to try out this camera on amazon. It uses a wireless transmitter to get the signal to the screen which is built into a mirror that covers the existing rear view (bye bye onstar blue/red). The setup works great, but I am worried about power consumption for the transmitter as it's connected directly to the battery. Granted it's pretty low amperage, 200-250 mA draw according to the specs, but I'd prefer if I could find an ignition 12v source, meaning it's only on when ignition is on.

I have everything concealed by the battery area, so if there is a wire loom close by to that area that would be great. Thanks in advance
sfzobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Rooster OG

Drives: 2016
Why don’t you just tap into a fuse like 49, that’s for the heated steering wheel.
Rooster OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
sfzobie

Is 49 in the engine bay or the normal fuse box? I’m trying to not drill into anything
Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
Rooster OG

Engine bay. The diagram is in the manual.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
sfzobie

Thanks, sometimes the answer is right in front of your face. Much appreciated
Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfzobie View Post
I installed a wireless front camera to help with parking, the 1LE front spoiler is pretty low, and after cracking mine I decided to try out this camera on amazon. It uses a wireless transmitter to get the signal to the screen which is built into a mirror that covers the existing rear view (bye bye onstar blue/red). The setup works great, but I am worried about power consumption for the transmitter as it's connected directly to the battery. Granted it's pretty low amperage, 200-250 mA draw according to the specs, but I'd prefer if I could find an ignition 12v source, meaning it's only on when ignition is on.

I have everything concealed by the battery area, so if there is a wire loom close by to that area that would be great. Thanks in advance
I've been wanting to add a front camera, just haven't gotten a roundtuit. Can you post pictures and info on/links to components used?
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
I've been wanting to add a front camera, just haven't gotten a roundtuit. Can you post pictures and info on/links to components used?
There is a harness available.

http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Cam...ector-Harness/

You can get a round tuit on Amazon/.

https://www.amazon.com/Round-TUIT-To.../dp/B00J8KVHLY
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
sfzobie

Sure, so basically there seems to be several options for adding a front camera. One is to send in your head unit to have it reprogrammed and then you have to run a wire to the camera. One is to run a traditional camera and mount an external screen or my pick was to run a camera with a wireless transmitter.

I bought it on amazon for $140 and it had decent reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I have a 1LE, the only buttons on the existing mirror were the red and blue onstar lights which I really hated, especially on long night time drives, so I figured finding a screen built into a rear view mirror would be the best option. There are many posts regarding where to tap power for a radar detector so I just followed those instructions to get power from the overhead console. After some help from a fellow forum member I found a power source from the engine fuse box and ordered a micro fuse tap (I couldn't find it anywhere locally, and if you're ordering the mirror, you may as well add that as well). I mounted the camera in the center of the grill and just used zip ties to secure it. The whole goal here is to create something that is easily removable and not to drill any holes. I tested everything before securing and liked the image that I have.

Two things of note. Almost all of the backup cameras that are sold show a mirrored image, meaning when you're looking forward, things are on opposite sides. It doesn't have any effect when you're parking as the front spoiler is the center of the screen, but if you turn it on while driving, the car in the right lane will appear on the left lane on your screen. The other is that it's rigged to turn on when the backup lights turn on (that's how the instructions tell you to wire it), which makes sense, put it into reverse and the camera turns on, just like a normal car. So I just installed a switch on the back of the camera, again, nothing drilled or anything too fancy, but when I am coming up to a suspect curb, it takes two seconds to flip the switch and the camera is activated.

Overall for an hour of install and $150 I am pretty happy that I won't ever have to buy another $450 front bumper again. The only thing I may do in the future is enclose the switch and epoxy to the mirror to clean it up a little, even though you cannot see it when sitting.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
Rooster OG

That looks good, nicely done!
Old 11-17-2017, 11:32 PM   #10
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
how does the rearview mirror attach?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
sfzobie

It uses rubber straps and is very secure. The problem is that the fuse I used actually is linked to the skip shift module even though it’s listed as steering when heater. So I need to find another power source.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #12
Sboston4

Drives: '17 LT Nightfall Grey
Just to clarify... This is a screen built into a rear view mirror that attaches and covers the existing factory rear view mirror? If so, it looks very clean and you can't even tell it's not a new rear view mirror.

The link is no longer valid so I can't see which one you bought from amazon which might answer the question.

For my Impala, I bought a rear view mirror that physically replaces the entire rear view mirror but let me tell you, it's a beast and a lot larger than the OEM one in the Impala or my Camaro. I've had the mirror in the Impala for over a year and I'm now in the process of changing the way it mounts to the factory bracket so that it is up and tighter to the headliner so its out of my line of sight when driving.

I have enjoyed having the rear view camera and display in the Impala and I'm in the process of adding a front facing camera to my Camaro and didn't even consider a display in the mirror due to the size of the beast I put in the Impala.

If it straps on and looks as good in person as it looks in the pictures you posted, this could be an excellent solution for us all to keep us from hitting those darn curbs when we park.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #13
sfzobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboston4 View Post
Just to clarify... This is a screen built into a rear view mirror that attaches and covers the existing factory rear view mirror? If so, it looks very clean and you can't even tell it's not a new rear view mirror.

The link is no longer valid so I can't see which one you bought from amazon which might answer the question.

For my Impala, I bought a rear view mirror that physically replaces the entire rear view mirror but let me tell you, it's a beast and a lot larger than the OEM one in the Impala or my Camaro. I've had the mirror in the Impala for over a year and I'm now in the process of changing the way it mounts to the factory bracket so that it is up and tighter to the headliner so its out of my line of sight when driving.

I have enjoyed having the rear view camera and display in the Impala and I'm in the process of adding a front facing camera to my Camaro and didn't even consider a display in the mirror due to the size of the beast I put in the Impala.

If it straps on and looks as good in person as it looks in the pictures you posted, this could be an excellent solution for us all to keep us from hitting those darn curbs when we park.
Yes you’re correct, it’s basically a thin 5/8-3/4” mirror with camera embedded into it that attaches on top of existing mirror. It’s a nice easy setup and when/if I need to go to the dealer, I can easily remove in less than 2 minutes. I am still having an issue with finding a ign power source in the engine bay, I tried the sunroof fuse but that didn’t work. I have been traveling a lot so hopefully I’ll be able to troubleshoot this weekend.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
Sboston4

Drives: '17 LT Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfzobie View Post
Yes you’re correct, it’s basically a thin 5/8-3/4” mirror with camera embedded into it that attaches on top of existing mirror. It’s a nice easy setup and when/if I need to go to the dealer, I can easily remove in less than 2 minutes. I am still having an issue with finding a ign power source in the engine bay, I tried the sunroof fuse but that didn’t work. I have been traveling a lot so hopefully I’ll be able to troubleshoot this weekend.
Thanks for the info and good luck with finding the switched power. I bet someone here will know how to help you with that.