#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
BMR Tech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTNUF View Post
BMR - Is 1/4" enough clearance under the hardest acceleration and maximum motor torque travel and not hit the brace? Just asking. At rest, all looks good, just covering all of the bases.

Doesn't state the weight, but it states "tubing" which makes me believe that it's hollow. I rather have hollow as it's been proven that hollow is stronger than what most people give it credit. Being that it's square, this helps allot with strength vs round tubing. We use both types of tubing everyday in our manufacturing processes and I can tell you square is very strong.

From BMR site -
"Manufactured from 1-x2-inch stainless steel tubing"

Before ordering, just want to make sure my question on top is answered. Hate for it to hit under full acceleration....
I cannot guarantee it will not make contact. The amount of movement with the stock hydraulic engine mounts will vary with temperature, allowing more movement with heat as the viscosity changes in the fluid. However with our engine mounts(MM009 or MM010) there is little to no movement. The STB020 weighs 12lbs shipped which includes the box and packing materials.
BMR Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #16
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Very curious to see if anyone can offer up driving experiences with and without the brace. Meaning, on the ZL1, how much of a difference does this actually make?
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:25 AM   #17
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
Very curious to see if anyone can offer up driving experiences with and without the brace. Meaning, on the ZL1, how much of a difference does this actually make?
I have this similar question posted in the "ask AL" section due to the fact that not all convertibles across the line have one either, surprisingly the ZL1 convertible doesn't have one.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511376
Old 11-16-2017, 08:05 AM   #18
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by soceur77 View Post
Aluminum in this application has ZERO advantage of steel. Why?

Aluminum and steel have the same stiffness, given the same amount of weight.

It will take the same amount of weight in aluminum (and thus a bigger bar) to provide the same amount of stiffness as the equivilant weight steel. Aluminum strut braces, floor bars, fender braces, and so on - would have to be unreasonably large to add any real stiffness.

So, yes, you absolutely should try to find a SOLID, steel-based brace whenever possible, or have one constructed for you.

Aluminum strut braces are okay, as long as they are bulky and solid with no hinge - they're better than nothing, but I'll take a steel version any day over the aluminum.

Excerpt from http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...rs-and-braces/
You do know that there are different types and grades of both steel and aluminum, right?

So you're statement is not totally true.

Btw, Don't believe everything you read on the internet, (especially an un-sign/unqualified internet article from a Tuning site that specializes in Motorcycle Small Parts who talks about Chassis dynamics). But again, I could be wrong and I'd like to see the guy's cred's. A Good Machinist is not always a Good Engineer and Visa Versa.

Quote:
What does Mad Science do? What doesn't Mad Science do!

Specializing in CAD design and CNC machining, I primarily make parts for Freestyle Stunt bikes, but I look for ways to improve anything I am interested in. I created this page to serve as a nexus to show the world my projects, show off my creations, and market the products I sell.
PH
(Lifetime and Practicing Member of the SAE)
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #19
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Daily driver's would see a major difference. Bu under Race/Extreme conditions t will make a difference. (This why I have repeatedly been "Asking Al" what "Tweeks" his Team made to the 1LE during the Nurburgring run).

If you look at the Red Zl1 1LE picture at the Ring where the chassis demonstrates maintaining stiffness while under G-Forces (where the car's off the ground and all four tires are at the almost same equal distance off the ground), this will tell you how a Brace/Chassis set up keeps everything in "Plumb" and performing, per se.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #20
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
You do know that there are different types and grades of both steel and aluminum, right?

So you're statement is not totally true.

Btw, Don't believe everything you read on the internet, (especially an un-sign/unqualified internet article from a Tuning site that specializes in Motorcycle Small Parts who talks about Chassis dynamics). But again, I could be wrong and I'd like to see the guy's cred's. A Good Machinist is not always a Good Engineer and Visa Versa.

PH
(Lifetime and Practicing Member of the SAE)
Never said I believed anything, just posted an article I found with hopes of discussion.
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #21
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I have this similar question posted in the "ask AL" section due to the fact that not all convertibles across the line have one either, surprisingly the ZL1 convertible doesn't have one.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511376
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Daily driver's would see a major difference. Bu under Race/Extreme conditions t will make a difference. (This why I have repeatedly been "Asking Al" what "Tweeks" his Team made to the 1LE during the Nurburgring run).

If you look at the Red Zl1 1LE picture at the Ring where the chassis demonstrates maintaining stiffness while under G-Forces (where the car's off the ground and all four tires are at the almost same equal distance off the ground), this will tell you how a Brace/Chassis set up keeps everything in "Plumb" and performing, per se.
I think the bottom line is nicely pointed out in the referenced thread by Pete from BMR. In it's stock format, few owners are going to be able to push the ZL1 to it's track limits on a road course. Once you learn to get the car at or close to that point, then perhaps adding one of these braces would bring you some additional benefit on the track.

If you're just looking for a nice under the hood look, then adding one of these might fit the bill.

For me, I think I'll hold on for brake upgrades, training and other things to help on the track first.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #22
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
I think the bottom line is nicely pointed out in the referenced thread by Pete from BMR. In it's stock format, few owners are going to be able to push the ZL1 to it's track limits on a road course. Once you learn to get the car at or close to that point, then perhaps adding one of these braces would bring you some additional benefit on the track.

If you're just looking for a nice under the hood look, then adding one of these might fit the bill.

For me, I think I'll hold on for brake upgrades, training and other things to help on the track first.
yep, it would still be interesting to see what the differences are between the the convertibles and why the zl1 convertible doesn't have a tower brace
Old 11-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #23
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
yep, it would still be interesting to see what the differences are between the the convertibles and why the zl1 convertible doesn't have a tower brace
My guess is that the bracing that's in place and ties to the firewall is all that GM felt was needed.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #24
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by soceur77 View Post
Take a look at OEM-designed strut braces and in almost all cases (especially where an engineer was asked), they are SOLID pieces, generally steel in construction.

Why steel? Well, for one it's cost. However, and this is the other thing that bugs me about most aftermarket braces - Aluminum in this application has ZERO advantage of steel. Why?

Aluminum and steel have the same stiffness, given the same amount of weight. In other words, if you go to the hardware store and pick up a piece of 1" bar aluminum, you'll find that while it is much lighter than the same size piece of steel.... it's a great deal flimsier.

It will take the same amount of weight in aluminum (and thus a bigger bar) to provide the same amount of stiffness as the equivilant weight steel. Aluminum strut braces, floor bars, fender braces, and so on - would have to be unreasonably large to add any real stiffness.

So, yes, you absolutely should try to find a SOLID, steel-based brace whenever possible, or have one constructed for you.

Aluminum strut braces are okay, as long as they are bulky and solid with no hinge - they're better than nothing, but I'll take a steel version any day over the aluminum.

Excerpt fromhttp://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/09/getting-stiff-strut-bars-and-braces/
The factory 5th gen brace was aluminum
Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #25
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
The factory 5th gen brace was aluminum
Yep all the OEM braces have been aluminum. Even my 350k trans TA1 trans am car has all aluminum sway bars front and rear.
Attached Images

Victoryred1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #26
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
BMR. Make a CF brace please. If you need the funds or want the funds to produce one, let me know. I'll cover it. Then we can work out a deal for % of revenue from that particular brace. I'm local, so I can just drop a check off. Let's do it!!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #27
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
BMR. Make a CF brace please. If you need the funds or want the funds to produce one, let me know. I'll cover it. Then we can work out a deal for % of revenue from that particular brace. I'm local, so I can just drop a check off. Let's do it!!
Dude! +1!!! But they’re in Seffner, Fl by me suckkaaa lol
Victoryred1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #28
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoryred1le View Post
Dude! +1!!! But they’re in Seffner, Fl by me suckkaaa lol
Eh, u are right. I was thinking of Phastek. Either way. I'll mail a check out. No BS BMR. I don't fk around when it comes to making $. My offer is on the table. I'll fund it.

They'll prob say no. They have the funds to produce one anyways. haha. Why give up a % right?