Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #29
wildcat767676

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Great recap Jess! Thank you for taking the time to write all that.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I love the ZL1 but I do a lot of track days in my BMW and the Camaro just felt so so heavy and big. I keep thinking about whether its worth the extra money to step up to the Stingray as well. It's not a DD so the size doesn't matter. I just love the mean look of the black Z. The Stingray looks softer to me comparatively. I'd like to drive them back to back but it's hard to get a dealer to let you do it more than around the block...

Anyone else have personal experience having or driving both??
wildcat767676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #30
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
If I was going from a ZL1 to the Stingray it would have to be the Z06 or Z07.

Having driven FI car it would be hard to go to a none FI even the base Stingray.

And once you take a base Stingray and add the 3LT package plus Z51 goodies (mag ride and bigger brakes) plus the performance exhaust your almost at the base price for a Z06 anyways.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #31
wildcat767676

Damn good points. I'm getting addicted to the FI feeling. My last BMW was twin turbo 450hp and I miss that thrust in the M roadster. The Stingray feels so light compared to the Z and nearly as powerful with only 455hp but around town mashing the gas with a supercharger and 305's is pretty nice too...

What a great time where we have too many choices from GM that are all amazing! Way to go GM!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #32
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat767676 View Post
Anyone else have personal experience having or driving both??
Yes.

Comparing the C7, Z51, 3LT to a ZL1 (both manual coupes).

Shifting - very similar in smoothness and throw of shifter. Stingray is quicker in lower gears.

Cornering - there is nothing I've ever driven that corners better than the Stingray. The faster and harder you corner, the lower down the stingray squats. It's pretty nuts.

Visibility - almost identical, except everything you see from the stingray is from a much lower position!

Power - my ZL1 is still under 1500 miles, so I'm acquiescing to stay under 4000 rpm and 80mph. Bottom line, you aren't going to run out of umph in either car!

Technology - Stingray has newer and more gadgetry on the interior. But ZL1 is pretty impressive having not changed to the 6th gen yet.

There are a lot of similarities between the two vehicles. Camaro rides and feels like a comfortable but very powerful car. Stingray is small and low to the ground, you feel the ground under you a lot more, and it's a lot more agile. You pay the price of a small cockpit and no back seats, but with the coupe - actually plenty of hauling room. Interior quality - 3LT in the vette, surrounded by all leather is amazing, but the ZL1 is no slouch.

If I were going to the track or looking for a weekender, I'd pick the Stingray. It is definitely daily drive-able, but I think there are limitations - 2 hours a day of daily driving in a vette is a stretch - been there, done that.

For a fun and comfortable and powerful DD, where you can put small kids in the back and also go to the track, I don't know that there's anything better than the ZL1.

Oh yeah - Stingray gas mileage rocks!!!
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:55 AM   #33
wildcat767676

Great post thank you!
Old 04-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #34
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy

Lately my wife and I think that we made the wrong decision by replacing our 2014 Camaro ZL1 for a 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 A6.

Our prior Camaro ZL1 with the A6 transmission was a great car and with a very solid power train that never gave us any headache. But our C7 with only 30,000 miles on a trip to see our Son at San Antonio TX got overheated suddenly while we where on heavy traffic with an external 90 F weather. After the car was towed to the dealer, the diagnostic was bad fan and water pump, which was replaced under warranty, but after performing a multipoint inspection the cash amount grew up to $3,440. Requiring me to replace tires and provide alignment to the car, brakes, service the GDI induction system, service transmission and rear differential fluid. My car has been only in one DE event the rest is just DD.

This really make us think that maybe we made a wrong mistake of replacing our faithful Camaro ZL1 which never gave us any problem and was a great car. Which was replaced just for a pretty faced Stingray.

I even wonder if the new 6th generation Camaro would be as weak as the Stingray since both share the same powertrain compared to the bullet proof 5th gen Camaro ZL1?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 04-09-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #35
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Lately my wife and I think that we made the wrong decision by replacing our 2014 Camaro ZL1 for a 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 A6.

Our prior Camaro ZL1 with the A6 transmission was a great car and with a very solid power train that never gave us any headache. But our C7 with only 30,000 miles on a trip to see our Son at San Antonio TX got overheated suddenly while we where on heavy traffic with an external 90 F weather. After the car was towed to the dealer, the diagnostic was bad fan and water pump, which was replaced under warranty, but after performing a multipoint inspection the cash amount grew up to $3,440. Requiring me to replace tires and provide alignment to the car, brakes, service the GDI induction system, service transmission and rear differential fluid. My car has been only in one DE event the rest is just DD.

This really make us think that maybe we made a wrong mistake of replacing our faithful Camaro ZL1 which never gave us any problem and was a great car. Which was replaced just for a pretty faced Stingray.

I even wonder if the new 6th generation Camaro would be as weak as the Stingray since both share the same powertrain compared to the bullet proof 5th gen Camaro ZL1?
One was designed to run on the track with min failure, one was made to look pretty, guess which is which.. All kidding aside, not fair to compare the two, ZO6, ZR1 , maybe..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #36
rmcbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
I got a ZL1 and the wife has C7 Z51 Vette. Would not trade either one. Both are great cars.
I thought you were going to include the wife in that statement
rmcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #37
XxshadowdawgxX

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoo7 View Post
As the title says. I'm just a little curious as to how did you like it or didn't as well as pros and cons. I have done many of searches just looking for a non bias answer. I don't track the car (course or drag) but I do drive spiritedly it's also my DD.
I enjoy my ZL1 more than my GS.
Attached Images

376CI Built Bottom End LSA (10.1:1) Ported LSA Heads, BTR STG 3 400+ CI Camshaft, F1X Procharger - Cogged, Holley Sniper High Rise Intake, 1 7/8” TSP Headers, 1700CC ID Injectors, Fore Innovations Triple 450lph, DSX Flexfuel Sensor. Making 1000+rwhp. Tuned by Tuning by Shane Hinds LLC.
XxshadowdawgxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #38
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Both car are very special in their own way. They are very different.
5th gen ZL1. Very special, great muscle car looking, that not even a 6th gen Camaro could match its looks, solid and secure feel driving, very stable and good handling because of wider tires and wheels, very strong and bullet proof drivetrain, great sounding exhaust. Heavy but fast.
C7 Stingray: beautiful looking car a combination between a bat mobile and Ferrari looks, great lower seat driving feeling, combat jet style cockpit., great sounding exhaust, agile and fast handling. Very fast straight line runing sensation even that is 460 hp compared to the 5th gen ZL1 580hp. But it compensates by beign super lightweight. And I believe that both straight line numbers are similar or maybe the Stingray would be faster in stock form, just check the magazine numbers or fastest laps numbers, even on YouTube there is a straight line comparation done in Rusia region and Stingray won. But the powertrain does not feel as long term compared to the indestructible 5th gen ZL1.
Every time I was on my ZL1 didn't care about 6th. gen Camaros but I couldn't keep my eyes off on the Stingrays they are beautiful. I had a chance to test drive a 5th. Gen ZL1 and a Stingray 7 speed manual transmission. And the Camaro 6 speed manual transmission it's way more precise in shifting, on 7 speed there's always the sensation of missing a shift. By the way I'm 5'8 tall and fit perfectly inside of the Corvette wearing a helmet, no problem at all. My A6 automatic transmission C7 overheated several times at the track, shifted greatly but needs improved cooling for that purpose.
We like our C7 very much, but yes we miss our ZL1 was a very special and dependable sport car, always practical when a rear seat is needed.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #39
Bosse'sBoss

The short life expectation and high cost maintenance of the GDI engine (found on the new Corvette Stingray, 6th. gen Camaro) VS the prior PFI V8 longevity. Including the trashy new A8 transmission from GM VS the prior dependable A6 transmission from GM. If I had all this information before, I never would have replaced my trusted 5th. gen Camaro ZL1 just for a nice looking Stingray. Dam decision!
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 07-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #40
Bosse'sBoss

Angry

Just to follow up, with just 33K on the odo, my '14 Corvette Stingray Z51 has made a second long trip to the dealer for warranty related stuff. The first time was during a trip that my car overheated and had to replace the water pump and engine's fan. Now I have a longer trip with AFM failure (which helps the new LT1 engines V8 to switch to V4 for saving gas purpose). Homelink failed, rear hatch rubber strip coming off, right vanity broken hinge, while cold engine taking longer to start, brake pads and rotors premature need of change, etc. I have an A6 transmission that came on the first year of the Stingray only, but have been reading of all nightmares related to the A8 transmission failures, failures of the electrical steering wheel on some '17 manufactured Stingrays. Probably the quality standards of the 5th. gen Camaro were built better than the new generation Camaros and Corvettes. I was thinking that the Stingray was going to be my last car to keep, but it doesn't look that way, for sure I would just keep the Stingray just for another year of usage while still is under warranty then I'm going back to my old trusted friend the 5th gen Camaro ZL1, for sure that is going to be a keeper.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 07-29-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #41
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Thanks for the info. That was the car I was looking at if I ever decided to "upgrade". Not anymore.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:19 PM   #42
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Good choice, keep your ZL1 masterpiece
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera