Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 08-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
couple things....
loosly speaking is a funny way of saying "i own an LS1 and its the best thing out there"

LT is not necessarily an "adaptation" the LT1s and LT4s were completely new motors (Gen II series) which were loosely based off the Gen I sbc. but had numerous technological advances. ie:reverse flow cooling, optical spark distributor, higher compression ratio,

LS series started the Gen III motor technology.

they are some of the best engines created. but keep in mind, its all relative. just like prior to the LS1 coming out, the LT1/LT4 was the best out there. regardless, they are still better than a 4.6 with a blue oval. lol

also just to let you know.... there is an LSX block. It offers displacements ranging from 364 cubic inches to 511 cubic inches (4.25" Bore x 4.5" Stroke) and is capable of withstanding 2500+hp

also there is an LT5 that was a DOHC that was a bad@$$ motor.

and there is also an LT-1 available from 70-72
The LT-1 was the ultimate 350 V8, becoming available in 1970. It used solid lifters, 11:1 compression, a high-performance camshaft, and a Holley four-barrel carburetor on a special aluminum intake to produce 370 hp that was available in the Camaro Z28 and the vette.

but as for the actual meaning of LS1, LT1, LB9, LQ4, LQ9, L99, etc, it is just a designation given to that motor.
The LT5 wasn't that the ZR1's engine that had to be hand built, but was well worth all of the time that went into it? that car still holds records around the world for speed and lap times...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinCamaro View Post
Heh, I knew that would get some reactions
Fun facts, RS was RPO Z22, SS was RPO Z27.
So to settle the debate which is better SS or Z28... Z28 is one better!

RS was Z26

and yes as ive stated NUMEROUS times. the Z28 is the top dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
cool, thanks for the info.
its what im here for

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
They're just trims. Names are meaningless. Power is what counts.
power means nothing without suspension
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
The worst GM design in HISTORY!!!!!!!
tho it does have its downfalls, the opti has proven itself in applications of over 1000hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS9CamaroSS View Post
The LT5 wasn't that the ZR1's engine that had to be hand built, but was well worth all of the time that went into it? that car still holds records around the world for speed and lap times...

yeah, the LT5 was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad motor.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
so where can i get me an LT5 to put in a Firebird or Camaro? I cant afford a ZR1 Vette...

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-phoenix View Post
so where can i get me an LT5 to put in a Firebird or Camaro? I cant afford a ZR1 Vette...
eBay, though unless you have unlimited funds and are a glutton for punishment, I wouldnt bother. They are physically big, heavy (compared to an LS) and are way pricey to buy and to mod.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-phoenix View Post
http://www.lt5-parts.com

occasionally ebay and also there's a guy on some vette forums who used to be a direct dealer for Mercury Marine that has a whole inventory of stuff. he was selling an LT5 for roughly 10k (brand new still in crate)
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Just get a LS6 off ebay!!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #21
Wanna-Be_Fast

Drives: 1993 Z28
"They don't mean anything... GM just uses combos of numbers and letters to denote things. Z28 doesn't mean anything either."

Actually Z28 does have a real meaning. Back in the day when sport trim models first got 2 names ie Firebird Trans Am (which also has a meaning), mustang cobra ect. Camaro was about to put on the show room floor thier entry........ It was to be called the Camaro Panther! Just before it was released to the public the powers that be came to thier senses and realized how hokie that sounded. With only a matter of days left before they "had to committ to a name" someone in the room said the project designation "Z28" sounded pretty good after the Camaro name. Everyone agreed and the "Camaro Z28" was born!!!!

You have to have been reading Hot Rod for more decades than I care to admit to know useless trivia like this
Wanna-Be_Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna-Be_Fast View Post
"They don't mean anything... GM just uses combos of numbers and letters to denote things. Z28 doesn't mean anything either."

Actually Z28 does have a real meaning. Back in the day when sport trim models first got 2 names ie Firebird Trans Am (which also has a meaning), mustang cobra ect. Camaro was about to put on the show room floor thier entry........ It was to be called the Camaro Panther! Just before it was released to the public the powers that be came to thier senses and realized how hokie that sounded. With only a matter of days left before they "had to committ to a name" someone in the room said the project designation "Z28" sounded pretty good after the Camaro name. Everyone agreed and the "Camaro Z28" was born!!!!

You have to have been reading Hot Rod for more decades than I care to admit to know useless trivia like this
As I understand it, Panther was to be an alternative name to the Camaro. See this thread: The Day the Panther Died Also, could you explain again the special meaning that Z and/or 28 have for the Camaro? I'm sorry but 'sounding good' doesn't give a term meaning.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
As I understand it, Panther was to be an alternative name to the Camaro. See this thread: The Day the Panther Died Also, could you explain again the special meaning that Z and/or 28 have for the Camaro? I'm sorry but 'sounding good' doesn't give a term meaning.

Panther was the original name for the camaro. but thanks to SEPAW, we dont have to worry about it being called that. there was no Camaro Panther, there was almost a Panther, but it became the Camaro.

the Z28 started as just an RPO code for the "Special Performance Package" but the cars ordered with it got the Z28 badges, which then led to a Camaro Z28. the same way that the Z27 RPO is the code for Super Sport. Tho the SS didnt come about until 69, and no one calls it a Z27 Camaro, (tho i have heard a few friends call it that). the Z28 was there from the get-go as an RPO performance package

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #24
Wanna-Be_Fast

As I remember reading it (it was a loooong time ago) I thought the now Camaro Z28 was originally supposed to be the Camaro Panther.... I may be wrong about Panther ...... It may have been something else that just didn't sound good...... When an alturnitive had to be got as I remember reading (like I said a long time ago, prolly in the 70's in Hot Rod) the Z28 came from the project designation. I guess when GM started using this method of tagging projects, the first project was before it was given a consumer name(if it ever did go into producton) was A01 then A02 - A99 then B01-B99 when the special package for the Camaro came out they were on Z28. Like I said.... something I read in Hot Rod I think from a staff writer not a reader writing in. Ture or not I wouldn't bet my life on...... I'm just sharing what I read. I wonder if they still use the same method where they are now..... GGG37?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #25
Wanna-Be_Fast

By saying Z28 had a meaning.... I didnt mean as in a difinitive word..... I ment there was something behind it not just a letter and number they pulled out of a hat...... And thanks for the accual facts of the issue Greg, you stated it more acuratlly than I knew how
Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #26
Wanna-Be_Fast

One last thing and I'll shuddup ..... according to this link It was originally to be called a Panther not Camaro (my error) the link talks about Gen1-5 ...... The part I like best is in the origin section where when GM was asked by the press what Camaro means GM reply'd .... A small vicious furry creature that eats mustangs
Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #27
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
As I remember reading it (it was a loooong time ago) I thought the now Camaro Z28 was originally supposed to be the Camaro Panther.... I may be wrong about Panther ...... It may have been something else that just didn't sound good...... When an alturnitive had to be got as I remember reading (like I said a long time ago, prolly in the 70's in Hot Rod) the Z28 came from the project designation. I guess when GM started using this method of tagging projects, the first project was before it was given a consumer name(if it ever did go into producton) was A01 then A02 - A99 then B01-B99 when the special package for the Camaro came out they were on Z28. Like I said.... something I read in Hot Rod I think from a staff writer not a reader writing in. Ture or not I wouldn't bet my life on...... I'm just sharing what I read. I wonder if they still use the same method where they are now..... GGG37?
yes and no. the codes are all RPO or Regular Production Order codes, there wasnt A01-Z99 listed for every vehicle, however some RPO codes do transfer between different

here's a good list of GM RPO codes

http://www.nastyz28.com/gm-rpo-codes/

and a camaro specific rpo listing
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-RPO-Codes.asp

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: