Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbiz View Post
There is no reason to assume that the size of the can makes for more oil catching. What about the length would catch more oil? It's the filter medians in between the out going air and incoming air that matters. There is no way oil would be able to get out of the can. I'm not sure why you think it would catch 30% less oil tho.

James, your can is a work of art, but the size is the science. All you need to do is side by side tests with the Siku Micchi or RevX to see. Pick a car with known oil in the intake issues, run each the same amount of time with an inline clear fuel filter between the can and the intake. You will see any of the smaller mesh cans will allow small amounts of oil through, clear as day. That is not to say in ANY way someone should not use your can as it will & does catch the majority of the suspended oil (have tested every can I can find on the market). As for the size, it's all about the velocity, or speed of the flow through the can. A small can cannot allow the flow to slow enough to allow the greatest amount of oil to drop out of suspension...take a straw and blow through it, any liguid will exit as the small size creates faster flow (pinch a garden hose and watch the stream) than a 3/4" hose of the same length.

None of this is saying yours is bad, (I used & sold the same type cans for years before designing these and continue to improve the designs for the ultimate in function). yours is absolutely beautiful and far better than ANY of the ebay cheapo's, Just follow the science of everything involved in the principles of oil suspension in air flow and create one twice the volume and see for yourself.... it will function more effectively than the smaller ones. In fact I have shared my drawings and test results with many competetors, some ignore it & some have been very appreaciative. Unlike the normal cut throat corporate games.

And I would be proud of the quality of your product as well.

Peace.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #16
Team NoviStretch

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
James, your can is a work of art, but the size is the science. All you need to do is side by side tests with the Siku Micchi or RevX to see. Pick a car with known oil in the intake issues, run each the same amount of time with an inline clear fuel filter between the can and the intake. You will see any of the smaller mesh cans will allow small amounts of oil through, clear as day. That is not to say in ANY way someone should not use your can as it will & does catch the majority of the suspended oil (have tested every can I can find on the market). As for the size, it's all about the velocity, or speed of the flow through the can. A small can cannot allow the flow to slow enough to allow the greatest amount of oil to drop out of suspension...take a straw and blow through it, any liguid will exit as the small size creates faster flow (pinch a garden hose and watch the stream) than a 3/4" hose of the same length.

None of this is saying yours is bad, (I used & sold the same type cans for years before designing these and continue to improve the designs for the ultimate in function). yours is absolutely beautiful and far better than ANY of the ebay cheapo's, Just follow the science of everything involved in the principles of oil suspension in air flow and create one twice the volume and see for yourself.... it will function more effectively than the smaller ones. In fact I have shared my drawings and test results with many competetors, some ignore it & some have been very appreaciative. Unlike the normal cut throat corporate games.

And I would be proud of the quality of your product as well.

Peace.
I'll start off with saying, thank you, and I also appreciate the effort you've put into your product as well. BUT, you are make a few assumptions. While the size is the science when it comes to the way you've gone about stopping the air flow, it is not the science of catch cans. And again, thank you for the compliments, But I'm not in this game to compete against the eBay cheapos. I play with the big boys on the market, and would consider a comparison to anything but the expensive cans, as nothing more then an insult. Not saying that I felt you were insulting me in any way tho.

To MY knowledge, you have not done a side by side with my can. Correct me if I'm wrong. So you can't say that yours will work better, nor that you will see oil coming out of mine clear as day. Now, I have not put a clear filter at the end to check, but my clear test is looking into the intake manifold after many months of usage, and not finding a drop of oil, which to me suggests that no oil is getting through. Again, I don't mean to sound defensive or offensive in any way, but that's the truth. It would be nothing more then pure speculation with out actual hard proof saying this or that.

Would be like me testing two different types of engines, with one being a turbo set up, and saying that turbo set ups are there for better then all N/A because your engine shows more hp then the ones you've tested.

My can is not like the other mesh ones on the market. I do not use, nor have any use for the science of size, as I don't need that to stop the velocity. There is just no way for the oil to escape the second filter on the outlet side. But even if it did, we'd be splitting such small hairs at that point, that any arguments or conjectures would be nothing more then erroneous back and for sales tactics on our parts. We both know that engines can, have, and will survive with out a catch can. We provide a service for the people that want to do better then just survive. At the point that are cars are out, we are down to just semantics. If I were to agree with you in saying that your design catches more oil, how much of a % more oil are you claiming it catches exactly? Are we talking about an OZ difference over the lifetime of the car, or are we going into cups/liters/gallons?

Once we get past the nity gritty, we are left with personal preference on the part of the customer, and really, nothing more.

Last edited by Team NoviStretch; 05-05-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Team NoviStretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
Team NoviStretch

Drives: Camaro
One last thing. The science behind a good catch can, is having the most possible surface for the oil to be able to condense on. Not size it hieght or baffles
Team NoviStretch is offline   Reply With Quote