Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
Mattzkatz

Drives: Not yet, but soon
2015 #750

What’s the best source to research a car/VIN/build if it isn’t listed in the registry in the stickies? The “closest” Z/28 for sale around me is a procharged car and going FI on the 427 has been debated through the threads here almost as heavily as the need to fix the heads I’m not against a built car for what I’m going to be using it for, but would want to know what it’s been put through and where it came from. Obviously, the shop doing the build & tune vs being a “garage build” would need to be verified as well.

If this car has already been asked about, forgive me & delete...I tried searching a handful of different ways and wasn’t getting any hits via the search link

Here’s a link for anyone that wants a peek...

https://www.sampiercechevy.com/Vehic...-IN/3493258183
Mattzkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzkatz View Post
What’s the best source to research a car/VIN/build if it isn’t listed in the registry in the stickies? The “closest” Z/28 for sale around me is a procharged car and going FI on the 427 has been debated through the threads here almost as heavily as the need to fix the heads I’m not against a built car for what I’m going to be using it for, but would want to know what it’s been put through and where it came from. Obviously, the shop doing the build & tune vs being a “garage build” would need to be verified as well.

If this car has already been asked about, forgive me & delete...I tried searching a handful of different ways and wasn’t getting any hits via the search link

That's some tall grass for car with 23k on the clock. You can have your pick of an un modded one for 20k less and sleep at night. JMHO
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:14 AM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Agreed. I'm sure those were not "gently driven" miles either. Be patient.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2020, 04:58 AM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:

Along with a VIN check, make sure they have the real Z28 wheels, hood, CF hood vent, etc. The Z28 parts are becoming scarce. But if that’s what your looking for then great. I believe you were looking for a DD for a short commute. You can find a much better one for less that hasn’t been molested, imho. But I’d never tell someone what or how they should spend their $$$.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:13 AM   #5
DBHWT

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
I agree w/above.....be patient. Try n get stock parts included w/any sale
DBHWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Get past the distance factor. Do not let that be your obstacle or barrier to entry with a quality and worry free purchase.

Fly or rent a car to go buy one you want. Ship it if needed. Less than 20 listed on autotrader currently. Without question, I do not want the one closest to me.

Modified cars are not worth anymore than a stock car. Even with a blower on them. Imo, they're worth less. Especially with bodywork and wheels that are hard to obtain missing. No clue on the engine work, tune, how clean the environment was when it was torn open. Lots of variables impact longevity.

If you're willing to spend $60k on a car... Go get a new discounted zl1 1le or a used example
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Agree with Jon here for the money you could get into a Zl1 1le. But like others have said better to find a stock clean car for 20 k less than that price.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #8
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
There are much much better examples for sale by forum members in just about all colors(a white one in Utah, black one in Florida) I’m sure a few more I’m forgetting about. Like previously stated, don’t let distance play a factor. None will be perfect but that’ll give you some enjoyment to do whatever little tinkering that’s needed. But to pay the asking price and not have an almost zero mile well taken care of Z28, is not my cup of tea. Many decades ago, I was taught that mods actually decrease the value of collectible automobiles. That’s why I enjoy listening to folks say how they have $30k extra into a vehicle and so they ask for $30k above blue/black book. It just doesn’t work that way, except at auctions with lots of $$$ and alcohol. Pretty good timing for buyers as even some more of us might be looking to sell depending on current global situations.

Good luck
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
Mattzkatz

Right...I think for that price they’ll be sitting on it for a LONG time and by no means plan to even entertain that kind of price for that car or any car for that matter, my budget from momma for a car isn’t going to be in that range!

I just wasn’t sure if anyone knew the car or where it was built? I know this is a pretty small community of cars and that some of the guys on here have some pretty phenomenal records and ways of tracking these cars. I wasn’t coming up with anything with the ways I was checking.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
Get past the distance factor. Do not let that be your obstacle or barrier to entry with a quality and worry free purchase.

Fly or rent a car to go buy one you want. Ship it if needed. Less than 20 listed on autotrader currently. Without question, I do not want the one closest to me.

Modified cars are not worth anymore than a stock car. Even with a blower on them. Imo, they're worth less. Especially with bodywork and wheels that are hard to obtain missing. No clue on the engine work, tune, how clean the environment was when it was torn open. Lots of variables impact longevity.

If you're willing to spend $60k on a car... Go get a new discounted zl1 1le or a used example
Distance isn’t “really” a factor as far as purchase goes...was just using that as the closest example of one for sale that I could go poke around at. It isn’t worth a 200mi round trip to just go test drive or get the runaround from a dealership.

The fact that it’s built doesn’t necessarily scare me completely if the “right info” can be obtained & the right price can be agreed to. I'm sure there are some built cars here that are just as solid if not more solid than some of the un-modded cars. Realistically, I’d want to find a car with cam, headers, exhaust...if heads were also done and at a price I can swing then that would be an added bonus. For example, if this procharged car has heads, been sleeved or otherwise built to support the power then I’d be more than interested if it was an actually reasonable price “for me”. $60k for that car might be reasonable for someone somewhere, but that person isn’t me hahaha

Thanks for the tips/pointers guys!
Old 04-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
There are much much better examples for sale by forum members in just about all colors(a white one in Utah, black one in Florida) I’m sure a few more I’m forgetting about. Like previously stated, don’t let distance play a factor. None will be perfect but that’ll give you some enjoyment to do whatever little tinkering that’s needed. But to pay the asking price and not have an almost zero mile well taken care of Z28, is not my cup of tea. Many decades ago, I was taught that mods actually decrease the value of collectible automobiles. That’s why I enjoy listening to folks say how they have $30k extra into a vehicle and so they ask for $30k above blue/black book. It just doesn’t work that way, except at auctions with lots of $$$ and alcohol. Pretty good timing for buyers as even some more of us might be looking to sell depending on current global situations.

Good luck

Until recently I would keep my search radius somewhat tight, but after being cooped up for the last several weeks a west coast car purchase with a Route 66 cross-country drive would be pretty welcoming!! Working in a pharmacy during all of this has got me MORE THAN READY to get away from the public and have some peace and quiet
Old 04-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #12
CAMARO_HEAVEN
Big John

Drives: Wife 2013 Camaro 2SSRS / ME?
I had called that dealer when I was looking for mine back in august of last year.
They did not know anything about the mods done to the car at that time. Dont know if they do now or not as it had only been there for a couple weeks. I ended up finding one in Tennessee that was a good deal and even talked with the orginal owner to confirm some things. There is another one I seen recently in Nashville will add the link below and good luck and take your time.. it took me 2 years to find the one for me.

https://www.freelandchevrolet.com/in...fs1ee0e9699036
CAMARO_HEAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #13
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_HEAVEN View Post
I had called that dealer when I was looking for mine back in august of last year.
They did not know anything about the mods done to the car at that time. Dont know if they do now or not as it had only been there for a couple weeks. I ended up finding one in Tennessee that was a good deal and even talked with the orginal owner to confirm some things. There is another one I seen recently in Nashville will add the link below and good luck and take your time.. it took me 2 years to find the one for me.

https://www.freelandchevrolet.com/in...fs1ee0e9699036
Thanks for the info! That’s what I was hoping to hear (but not hear lol)...was hoping someone would know a little about it b/c if built correctly it could be a fun car to have and drive! I don’t know what they’ve got in it to risk sending to auction, but I don’t see it moving anywhere near that price lol. Definitely no rush & thanks for the link
Old 04-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
serviceguy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 # 89, 69 Camaro, 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Until recently I would keep my search radius somewhat tight, but after being cooped up for the last several weeks a west coast car purchase with a Route 66 cross-country drive would be pretty welcoming!! Working in a pharmacy during all of this has got me MORE THAN READY to get away from the public and have some peace and quiet
The "peace" is the sound of a NA 427 ! ......the "quiet" is staring at a low build bad ass track car knowing it's yours !
Hope you find what your looking for
serviceguy is offline   Reply With Quote