Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
Do you really want GM to buy back your Camaro Convertible and crush it? Would you want to sit there and watch them do it? It's a cruel world sometimes but cruelty to Camaro Convertibles can be prevented.
Sure why not? After all they are just care and not living, breathing organisms. I wouldn't just watch, I'd ask if I could take part. If my car is going to be crushed I'd like to be the one "putting it down."
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #16
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
Sure why not? After all they are just care and not living, breathing organisms. I wouldn't just watch, I'd ask if I could take part. If my car is going to be crushed I'd like to be the one "putting it down."
You should be ashamed of yourself. You even have an RJT.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #17
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Here's a question I don't think anyone has thought of investigating:

What about the company called NCE that converted an Inferno Orange Camaro Coupe into a "prototype: Convertible a couple of years ago? I wonder if they'd be a good source to approach about a good top maker. Worth a shot, anyway.

3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
If we think back to 2009 when the 5th gen came out, we were told that the vert was close behind and then it kept being put off and put off till spring of 2011.

It was because the top maker that GM had planned to make the tops went under and they had to find an alternate. I'm wondering if they went with a lesser company in order to give us what we waited so long for instead of saying we are going to wait till we have a maker that's good enough for us.

I'll bet they are regretting the decision to go with the current company and I hope they have found another for 2013.
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
On the other hand, my Vert DID end up with the rub marks, but my dealer did an outstanding job of reolacing my top.
No rub marks since then and no other problems either.
No wind noise issues, no rib #5 issues, etc, etc

The car now has around 12k miles on it and I love it.

Even if they decide to discontinue the Vert and not make it anymore in 13, it'd just mean that the Verts we have will be a bit rarer.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #20
1COR.1:18
Whosoever Will

Drives: 2010 1LT Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
On the other hand, my Vert DID end up with the rub marks, but my dealer did an outstanding job of reolacing my top.
Then you should let us know what dealer did such great work.
1COR.1:18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

The car now has around 12k miles on it and I love it.

Even if they decide to discontinue the Vert and not make it anymore in 13, it'd just mean that the Verts we have will be a bit rarer.
and that dealer should hire themselves out to other dealers to teach them how to replace tops.LOL

I think GM should be holding training sessions for certain dealers approved for top replacements and make sure it is done right.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
mouse

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs conv, L99/Automatic
One Question!, since when is $43k considered a cheap car? I have the dreaded rub marks too, and have them documented, but I am not worrying about it until 3-yrs or 36k miles. whichever comes first, then I will get a new top, hopefully by then "Generous Motors" will have fix'd the problems.
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #23
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I realize there is a lot of bitching going on here but If you we're to read the entire posting as most people. You would learn a lot about the camaro convertible and what to look for if you would ever chose to go with a convertible. I for one have gathered much from this thread that I have shared with both the trim shop and dealership preventing them from implementing outdated TSBs that were out there. This info wasn't available when I had my top replaced if it were things would have been different. I hope my trials and tribulations help other vert owners make good decisions in their repair.
And if I were you and had, let's say a gas problem, I would educate myself to get it fixed correctly and not necessarily rely on the guy fixing it.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #24
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Since I started this post I better comment again. That guy is a tool. First year problems I expect. Not on the 2nd year. My 2012 needed a new top after 6 weeks. Field rep was just at the dealer dropping the tops on the new 2012's and said they are worse than mine was with no miles on them.
2 tops in 3 months of ownership is just plain wrong on a 40k car. This top should last at least 10 years.
Do your damn research on the Lemon Law also. In Minnesota you just have to have your car in the shop out of service for 30 days in 2 years. I'm at 23 in 3 months. Boy that's acceptable isn't it. When it comes out of storage it's back in for a new top, water leaks, window regulator, window trim, and wind noise, All on a car that was driven for 2 months and 2000 miles. Yep, car is great. Who are we kidding. It's quality is a piece of SHIT!!! Love the car, hate the problems.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #25
95birdible

Bab you just said what I have been saying all along. The original maker went out of business while GM was going thru their problems. Then they had to rush and find a new maker of the tops and mechanisms. In order to meet deadlines it was rushed out January of this year. If they would of waited and did more testing and not in the winter I don't think these problems would have occurred.
That is why the car was delayed. Remember this car was engineered from the beginning as a convertible also. So what happened? A rush to market with a poor design that wasn't tested enough in real world settings with a company that was thrown in for top production after the original went out of business.
Just my opinion but I believe is very plausible.
"Green Flash"
Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #26
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
One Question!, since when is $43k considered a cheap car? I have the dreaded rub marks too, and have them documented, but I am not worrying about it until 3-yrs or 36k miles. whichever comes first, then I will get a new top, hopefully by then "Generous Motors" will have fix'd the problems.
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #27
Clustergear

Drives: 68 Camaro, 2011 Conv.
I been reading this post and I am going to put my two cents in about the Camaro being a cheap car. I have the rub marks in my top and the dealer has address them, I have also done all the mods about the top in the convertible forum. So far I happy and problem hasn't gotten worst. But the post about the Camaro being a cheap convertible and if want a car with no top marks get a BMW or Lexus convertible. Well I own both the Camaro and 2011 BMW convertible. I'll take the Camaro hands down any time. The BMW has nothing over the Camaro. The wife got the top gammed half way down in a parking lot this summer. BMW wanted to send a flat bed and tow it 40 miles on interstate. I bet the top would be all the way down by the time it got back to dealership, 40 miles at 70 mph. I called service department and asked how to release top or gain entry into trunk. They knew nothing and were going to check for me. Hooked up a trailer and when to pick up wife and car. By the time I got there wife had figured out how to get into trunk. There is a release in car. I was able to get a towel out that had gammed top. Next day dealer call back and asked about the car, I told the wife figured out how to get into trunk and I had fix it.. The BMW just looks like another couple, not like a convertible.
Attached Images

Clustergear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #28
95birdible

I have been emailing with Al O. and Jack Pantaleo. What's your point? False impression of a car and bitter folks. Damn right I am. Paid 41k cash for mine that has spent 1/3 of the time in the shop. You wouldn't be pissed? My 95 convertible Firebird that I had for 14 years looked like new the day I sold it this year. Especially the top. I only paid 12,5 for it also. Hmmm. What say you now?
"Green Flash"