Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Top has been down for the sixth time today. No sign of rub marks but you can tell it has been down by the wrinkles in the back. That is normal. I only have 325 miles on it in 13 days of having it home so far. Supposed to be in the mid to upper 70's the rest of the week so I am sure I should have some good seat/top down time. I will be sure to keep you all posted.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
95birdible

Documentation is the key to everything. Make sure to cover your butt in all situations and have documentation to back up what you are saying. Pictures and videos are worth a thousand words. Make sure to copy yourself on any emails you send out and have a delivery confirmation. Always request a copy of any service invoices after it is done and have them in a folder by date. I also created an Excel workbook for my old and new car. Helps with dates etc. at a quick glance should you need it. Yes I have OCD but for 40 grand why not?
"Green Flash"
Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I can say that since I got the whole top and mechanics replacement I do not have anymore rub marks but there are fold marks on the rear quarter panel area when I have the top down for a day or more at one time. These are similar fold marks I have had on other convertibles I have owed with a canvas top. These marks slowly go away once the top is up for awhile.
I still believe that this is the only real fix to tops with the serious rub marks. I have seen a couple vert that have no rub marks after the TSB so it is worth doing. GM is still doing the full replacement only as a last resort.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
95birdible

Agreed Nut. I have the folds also but I will take them any day over what I went through with the last one.
"Green Flash"
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
ctinatx

Drives: 2014 SS Sedan
I had my top replaced once and the top looks the same as the pics in the first post.
The part behind the driver rear window came out and they fixed it, and I just had to push the part behind the passenger rear window in this past weekend.

I have not had my car in for the "fix", as I have not had the time to schedule it.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
The Ratchet

Drives: 2011 RJT Vert 2LT/RS
FWIW, the tops aren't made of magic alien fabric. Depending on dirt, weather temp, humidity, frequency of use, leaving it down a long time, or whatever- there's always going to be something you can maybe see in the top, because...and I know this sounds crazy and all, but - it's made of FABRIC!

Know anyone that owns a Ferrari 360/430 spider? Ask them sometime about their tops. Tons of leaks (though less than the 355 spider) and all kinds of fabric binding/scrunching/etc. They say 'the price doesn't buy perfection' and ain't that the truth, and those cars stickered new at 500% the price of the Camaro.

At some point it just gets to 'as good as it's gonna be'. And then you either just live it with it and drive it, or sell it and get a hard top convertible of some other make.
The Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #21
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ratchet View Post
FWIW, the tops aren't made of magic alien fabric. Depending on dirt, weather temp, humidity, frequency of use, leaving it down a long time, or whatever- there's always going to be something you can maybe see in the top, because...and I know this sounds crazy and all, but - it's made of FABRIC!

Know anyone that owns a Ferrari 360/430 spider? Ask them sometime about their tops. Tons of leaks (though less than the 355 spider) and all kinds of fabric binding/scrunching/etc. They say 'the price doesn't buy perfection' and ain't that the truth, and those cars stickered new at 500% the price of the Camaro.

At some point it just gets to 'as good as it's gonna be'. And then you either just live it with it and drive it, or sell it and get a hard top convertible of some other make.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #22
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ratchet View Post

One thing I've noticed as a Camaro vert owner is that I'm now acutely aware of convertible tops in general. Almost every time I see a convertible in a parking lot, I walk over and examine the top. One conclusion I've come to is that irregardless of manufacturer, fabric tops are prone to marks and wrinkles. As The Ratchet so eloquently points out, they aren't made of some "magic alien fabric".

Here are some tops I've come across in the past week. The first photo is from a Toyato Solara, photo 2 is a Mercedes Benz and photo 3 is Nissan 370Z. All three had marks and wrinkles to varying degrees.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #23
The Ratchet

Drives: 2011 RJT Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
One thing I've noticed as a Camaro vert owner is that I'm now acutely aware of convertible tops in general. Almost every time I see a convertible in a parking lot, I walk over and examine the top. One conclusion I've come to is that irregardless of manufacturer, fabric tops are prone to marks and wrinkles.

Here are some tops I've come across in the past week. The first photo is from a Toyato Solara, photo 2 is a Mercedes Benz and photo 3 is Nissan 370Z. All three had marks and wrinkles to varying degrees.
This is one the best things anyone could do - a reality check. And as the photos show, it's just the way it is, and it certainly doesn't improve with time lol. Serious indentations or literal holes/punctures is one thing, but the typical inherent nature of these types of canvas/fabric convertible tops is....just what it is.
The Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
mikeec

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Vert IOM/IOM
Ratchet,
I agre whole heartdley that this isn't made of "alien fabric". Should my top have those marks and like I stated, in the very first pic is an indentation (look north/on top of the coke truck reflection) that is only going to get worse. The stitching is already wearing. I've had this top down twice (2)!!! One of the rub marks is already becoming an indentation and will eventually form a hole. Once again, the top has been down twice (2)!!! That should not happen that quickly. I can live with wrinkles for the most part. I realize it is fabric like a pair of pants. Considering this car leaves the garage once a week if that much. These marks should not be as brutal as those daily drivers.
mikeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
95birdible

I cry BS on it. My 95 Firebird Convertible that I purchased in July of 98 and drove for 75,000 miles with the top down did not have one rub mark nor creasing etc. when I sold it in May of 2011. GM knows how to make a convertible. Having the original manufacturer go belly up 6 months before production didn't help. Hence the reason it was delayed. Don't believe me about my Firebird? Here are pics of it and the top.
Attached Images

"Green Flash"
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #26
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I cry BS on it. My 95 Firebird Convertible that I purchased in July of 98 and drove for 75,000 miles with the top down did not have one rub mark nor creasing etc. when I sold it in May of 2011. GM knows how to make a convertible. Having the original manufacturer go belly up 6 months before production didn't help. Hence the reason it was delayed. Don't believe me about my Firebird? Here are pics of it and the top.
I see wrinkle marks on the right side.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
95birdible

Wrinkles are normal. Holes are not. Plus that was the original top. Not bad for 16 years of total top down time. I hardly ever drove the bird with the top up. From mid May to early October it was always down.
"Green Flash"
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I see wrinkle marks on the right side.
damn you drank the kool aid...
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote