Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #29
AutomaticZL1

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
Dude I think you summed it up with "my wife wouldn't let me get a standard"
You yourself are hating on the auto by implying that you really wanted a stick, but had to settle for the auto. That's the same thing everybody does.
People don't hate the auto, as much as the reason why they have to get the auto.
Yeah, but I know the automatic is supposed to be quicker just by a bit so I could bring myself to terms, I just always thought standard for a camaro just because that's all I've ever known, but hey I can get used to not shifting gears in traffic!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #30
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
It's a personal preference. With that being said, I believe most people relate a muscle car to having a stick shift. You drive what you like, I'll drive what I like.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #31
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
For me, it's my DD and when I drive in Houston traffic I am so happy it's an auto.

However if it didn't have paddle shifters then I would probably be in a manual. At least with the auto trans they put in the ZL1 I have the option to shift into or out of a gear when I want.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #32
1985airborne
One Slow Automatic

Drives: 2017 GS 2010 CAMARO SS
Besides preference; Lambos and Ferraris are automatics so who cares...
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #33
magzx12r

Drives: 2017 Dodge Viper
I got rid of my GT500 and bought a ZL1 so I could get an auto. Got tired of the manual in stop and go Houston traffic. I don't miss the manual shifting one bit. I shift enough on my motorcycles.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #34
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Dude, just a piece of avice. Don't lead your first post on this forum with "my wife wouldn't let me"

Anyone says they would dd their car and rather have a stick in the traffic I deal with around DC would be lying.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #35
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by magzx12r View Post
I got rid of my GT500 and bought a ZL1 so I could get an auto. Got tired of the manual in stop and go Houston traffic. I don't miss the manual shifting one bit. I shift enough on my motorcycles.
That's interesting, I was all set to purchase to GT500 a few years ago,but heard about the auto ZL1 coming out and waited.I was set on the auto because of LA traffic, but after a test drive and listing to people ( who don't drive a stick every day by the way ) that I should get the stick or I will regret it. This will be my secondary vehicle. So I have been thinking stick but now kinda back to auto. I have a little time I am ordering a 15. Man it's a hard call, both are cool in there own way.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #36
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe_C_RS View Post
I wouldn't say I dislike automatic transmissions per se. However, like Rod knock, I feel more engaged and aware of my vehicle when driving a manual. All too often driving an auto I find it easy to allow myself to want to be distracted (playing with the radio, the phone, etc.) or more likely putting my mind on auto pilot and zoning out while driving. I just feel like a manual makes a better and safer driver.
I'd agree but I would do all of those things when I used to own nothing but manuals. After a short while you don't even know you are shifting because it becomes absolute reaction so I found myself on 'auto pilot' mentally anyway.

Once I got my first auto I did slam my foot on the break a few times thinking it was time to shift. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr pogo View Post
sometimes life makes the choice for you
Damn. I agree with the other guy too, great user name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
My wife wanted me to get a standard trans. She said "what better theft protection,no one can drive a standard car anymore!" I laughed about that then last week I saw on the news where some dudes broke into a car in florida to steal it and had to leave it cause none of them could drive it because it was a standard trans! Anyway I wanted an auto because I read all of the info I could about the ZL1 before I ordered mine and saw it was quicker {all though not much} but I also thought the resale would be better when the day comes when I sell the car.
See, I don't get that. I've heard things like this but it seems improbable. Thieves are typically not that stupid. All you have to do is look in the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
Dude I think you summed it up with "my wife wouldn't let me get a standard"
You yourself are hating on the auto by implying that you really wanted a stick, but had to settle for the auto. That's the same thing everybody does.
People don't hate the auto, as much as the reason why they have to get the auto.
I was on the fence. I did want the feel of shifting gears in a powerful car because I drove 18 wheelers for 10 years so I wanted to shift with some power. But like I said, the thrill is gone shifting gears. So I almost just flipped a coin. But I found a reason to push me to the auto. The remote start was good enough to tip the scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubsworth View Post
For me, on a performance car doing the gear shifting myself is an important and enjoyable part of the driving experience. I totally understand the practicality of an automatic but my reasons for owning a Camaro do not include practicality. In the future there will be cars that steer themselves, and this will obviously add another element of practicality, but each driver must decide how 'engaged' they want to be in the driving experience.
Well said. I agree.

BUT, you can get engaged drifting around a corner whether plugged in or not. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
It's a personal preference. With that being said, I believe most people relate a muscle car to having a stick shift. You drive what you like, I'll drive what I like.
Most people maybe but I had never owned or driven a muscle car that was stick. I had an old 73' Camaro and a friend of mine had a 67' and another friend had an old Malibu and they were all auto. Later, in the military, I knew a guy who had an old mid 70s Camaro with an auto. BUT, every import I drove including the ones I owned and the little sports cars my friends had were all stick.

Literally I always equated stick shift to Ricers.

Coincidence? I don't know. But the fun of driving a stick, to me, was always in the turns. Which 'muscle' was never known for.

I have been on these boards for a long time so I know I can catch hell for that but that's my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
For me, it's my DD and when I drive in Houston traffic I am so happy it's an auto.

However if it didn't have paddle shifters then I would probably be in a manual. At least with the auto trans they put in the ZL1 I have the option to shift into or out of a gear when I want.
Manual transmission in the ZL1 baylor sucks and they might be faster shifting baylor sucks but it was built for the twisties baylor sucks and a lot of people buy them for baylor sucks.

But I use my paddle shifters every time I drive.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #37
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Manual transmission in the ZL1 baylor sucks and they might be faster shifting baylor sucks but it was built for the twisties baylor sucks and a lot of people buy them for baylor sucks.

But I use my paddle shifters every time I drive.
ohhhhh I see what you did there.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #38
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
I don't think anyone is hating on the autos. People just get shit for buying them because their wife said so.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Old 01-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #39
Rod Knock

Drives: 2003 Dodge Viper/2011 IOM SS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
....Anyone says they would dd their car and rather have a stick in the traffic I deal with around DC would be lying.
Then I guess you think I'm a liar because I like shifting even in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic.

In you narrow minded view of things I could say "Anyone says they would drive their car and rather have an automatic on a twisty road or even in traffic would be lying or lazy"

But I don't believe that to be the case and the type of tranny anyone chooses is up to them
Old 01-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #40
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr pogo View Post
sometimes life makes the choice for you

+1, arguably the best response I've ever seen to this question.

Mr. Pogo, you are awesome

Nick C.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #41
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
I don't think anyone is hating on the autos. People just get shit for buying them because their wife said so.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  20.9 KB
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #42
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I tell you what, anyone who has driven this automatic like it is built will tell you how much they love it. It actually senses the level of aggressiveness of your driving and adjusts accordingly and the paddles are fantastic in certain situations. And most importantly, it is faster.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, automatics, camaro, manuals, zl1