Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #281
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Out of curiousity, let us know what the OEM manifolds end up weighing.

I know the V8 ones are close to 38 lbs.

Ivan
4.5 lbs each for the D/T shorties. 7.2 lbs each for the stock manifolds. I didnt weigh the heat shields but they are light maybe a lb or so total.

Last edited by VR Baron; 09-03-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: d
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #282
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Once again..I'm thinking the DTs plus your Magnaflows will =
Picked up the car at 1:30 today after D/T shorties installed. OH BOOOYYY!!Not what I expected from an item that may give 5-6 peak hp but man the bottom end is strong! The tip in throttle response is like the modified airaid cai gave if not a bit better, and I mean not just the mod but the whole cai effect, and with 85 degree air, 210 degree water temp and hot stop and go traffic!! This is not long tube powerful but I just didn't expect the results to be that much as my shorties on my LS1 didn't do much.
The next welcome surprise, and KMPrenger you may be able to relate here as we have the same exhaust and intake, is that the drone or more accuratly the smooth boom sound from the magnaflows which the Xpipe reduced in the cabin at low rpms is now gone as far as I can tell. Now all of the exhaust sound is out back where it belongs, not coming up through the trunk! I need to drive more to reconfirm but I noticed this right away.
And next on the suprise list is the car is not louder, its more quiet! Go figure! But I like it, you have to stick your ear down toward the tips to here it but the headers did change the tone for the better! more "header like" You can here the exhaust pulses a little more clearly. It is now back to about stock levels at idle but better sounding but when driving you here it out back now better do to no interior sounds coming through the trunk.
Now as far as getting on it I haven't been able to much, traffic where I live is bad and slow, even in 45 mph areas!! and that is at 2pm.But as you roll from a stop in a normal fashion you can feel the extra torque,and more tip in throttle response. Its like my v8 in a way, it has a solid I have more guts backing me up feel as you slowly press down on the go pedal and accelerate more. The exhuast tone as gotten deeper and more defined with more growl then before, much better!!

As you accelerate more up to 3000 rpm the sound of the headers takes over more from the cat and sounds just sick!!!

I hope I haven't over embelished anything but I truly didn't expect all this!! I think it all comes down to needing the complete cai/ header/ cat combo to give the best overall results. Well thats it, I need to go now and drive some more, see ya later!!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #283
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Went for another short drive but same traffic
The sound is great, a little louder and more throaty when getting on it.
Tip in light driving response still there
The cabin drone is definitly gone
The car is more quiet when cruising(the drone gone)
still Feel s like the improvement I got from the cai
This all with 85 degree weather which is important because this is more like what I got in 70 degree weather before the headers.
All in all a nice addition to the rest of the componants I have done
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #284
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Nice blackbee! Thats good stuff! Now sorry but here come the questions lol.

So would you say it is actually quieter at idle and cruising, but more loud and pronouced when your on the throttle? (cause I'd hate to install these and find out the sound is actually LESS than what I already have lol).

Currently I start to hear that nice low tone around 2,000 to 2,500 RPM....so is that still there?

Lastly, can you defintely hear more pulse...or "rumble" as I like to call it? I was worried the perforated X might cancel it out too much.

Really happy to hear about the performance gains!

Man I'd love to hear your exhaust.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #285
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

D/t shortie headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Nice blackbee! Thats good stuff! Now sorry but here come the questions lol.

So would you say it is actually quieter at idle and cruising, but more loud and pronouced when your on the throttle? (cause I'd hate to install these and find out the sound is actually LESS than what I already have lol).

Yes you have it exactly, quieter when you want and a bit more loud but deeper and a little more throaty when you get on it. I still need to go on the freeway to check the 65+ sounds though.

Currently I start to hear that nice low tone around 2,000 to 2,500 RPM....so is that still there?
Yes but more quiet I believe and deeper, then louder as you get on it.

Lastly, can you defintely hear more pulse...or "rumble" as I like to call it? I was worried the perforated X might cancel it out too much.
Yes not major but it is there, it enhanced the roar we gotbefore but I think now deeper, more throaty and a more defined sound, not as "muffled" as with just the muffler/x pipe. Again I hope I'm am describing it right as its a kind of you had to be there thing.

Really happy to hear about the performance gains!
Thanks, get the headers!!
Man I'd love to hear your exhaust.
I dont know if the camera will do it justice! I hope all the above helps!

Last edited by VR Baron; 09-03-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #286
bluedevil02

Drives: 2LT/RS
just got mine installed today....couldn't be any happier...great product...NO CEL....big diff. on throttle response...exhaust note got deeper and cleaner..overall would highly recommend these puppies...awesome quality...THX AGAIN IVAN!!!!
bluedevil02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #287
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil02 View Post
just got mine installed today....couldn't be any happier...great product...NO CEL....big diff. on throttle response...exhaust note got deeper and cleaner..overall would highly recommend these puppies...awesome quality...THX AGAIN IVAN!!!!
Ain't it cool!! (John Travolta)
Old 09-06-2010, 03:17 AM   #288
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil02 View Post
Muwahahaha!

You're welcome and thank YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
Ain't it cool!! (John Travolta)
Heck yeah they are...a totally different low end for the V6 crowd!

Thanks for the patience again guys! Had to bring a phenominal product out in force!

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #289
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
still got the videos anywhere? they no longer work and I am about to install these...
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #290
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos30 View Post
still got the videos anywhere? they no longer work and I am about to install these...
Should be some working vids in the link below and at the doug Thorley website.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33104
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #291
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
i have these on my car....and i definitely notice a HUGE reduction in rasp and drone in the cab

as far as exhaust sound...MUCH throatier...not as tinny as before and much less carbon deposit in my tips

cold start to idle its a very OLD SCHOOL Camaro sound...sounds even more cool with the ghost cam at idle

50% throttle you can definitely hear the sweet fluttering sound of epic airflow

as far as looks...i tell you these put the icing on the cake for shows...apply a little detailer once warm to touch and they really stand out in the engine compartment

weight...well no brainer here...if you think about the weight savings ive already experienced when eliminating the OEM exhaust, OEM airbox and OEM springs...and replacing them with performance items of each....gettin those BRICKS outa the engine compartment really adds to that....i would say total...the car is probably 150lbs lighter than stock...oh oops...maybe 110...i got a 40lb sub box in the trunk now...

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #292
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
LMAO, Thread resurrection from hell huh?!?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #293
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
I think this calls for:

Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #294
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos30 View Post
Thats the good thing about DT shorty headers. They pretty make any exhaust sound better, whereas long tubes add more power, but they add so more volume and aggression to the sound you really have to plan ahead to get a good non-raspy sound from them.