Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
vicks17SS

Drives: 17' SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Performance Shops in the SoCal area

Hello Camaro family!

I have finally paid off my 17 Camaro SS and eventually I was thinking of trading it in towards the end of the loan but had a change of heart and decided to keep it and just start adding mods to it. I just love it and still feels like day #1 for me. However, I am looking towards adding performance mods. I am looking for shops in the Los Angeles area of close enough vicinity. Does anyone have recommendations for shops that would offer and help me choose Super Charger / Tune packages?
vicks17SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
You have to keep in mind you're in California and our emissions laws are not getting any looser, especially now. Keep your stuff compliant when you make changes. I've seen roadside emissions checks in the past.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i went to ryne cunningham when he still had his shop he still tunes and consults but has his buddy shop in hemet do all of his installs

you can also check out new era performance in la alot of guys go there
Old 02-13-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
Vega$69

Drives: 2017 Corvette ZO6 & 2021 Camaro LT1
X2 for Ryne
Vega$69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:33 AM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Ryne and that shop he uses in Hemet is about it. Most out of business. There is one in Filmore north of LA but forget the name. If you do sc get a smog legal Maggie. Nothing here in kali is legal but a few parts. Leaving mine stock after modding a fifth gen to be legal, and there wasn’t much on the mod list ��

Here is my suggestion, to get the best work done send the car to JDP in Utah, they did my car and many others here . You have to pay for transport but well worth it. They only do GM vehicles.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #6
SS_1LE

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Ryne Cunningham for sure. Ive been sending all my cars to Ryne since my c6 Zr1 days. I now live in Texas and he still remote tunes my cars. He will have answers for you when it comes to installs.
SS_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Wouldn't do New Era after my experience on last 6th gen

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #8
BAUSS 1LE

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
Wouldn't do New Era after my experience on last 6th gen
What was your experience with New Era? I am thinking about taking mine to them for a tune, and possibly heads/cam in the future.
BTR 225 cam, West Coast Cylinder Ported Heads, Kooks LTH with high flow cats, Lethal Garage flex fuel, LT2 ported IM, 95mm TB, Rotofab intake, AWE track, Mighty Mouse catch can, Eibach lowering springs.

Built by Red Barn Racing
BAUSS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #9
SloCal

Tune just didn't feel good - car did not feel any faster dyno reading was weird with hp way below torque and was just dead even with cars that i was dead even roll racing with prior to going bolt ons. Gains weren't there and when I asked some questions just got hit with yeah i do 1,000 of these so i know what i'm doing

Told Alex about it and he just was not helpful at all/ said he didn't have time to look at it again. Whole thing felt pretty rushed and just didn't feel like I could go back with any issues/anything so looking for another shop for my 1le

EDIT: just went back and looked and my last email with them from a year and a half ago I had asked if i could come by sometime to get tune checked out since it just didn't feel right/felt slow - maybe pulling timing and never got a response. prior email was told it "just should feel better at this point." Was also on the phone the entirety of the time he was tuning my car

2nd 6th gen
Old 02-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #10
SloCal

My experience with shops in socal over the years has been that most of them are sheisters/not really as good as they play themselves up to be.

Not saying New Era are sheisters but just that if I'm going to blow my warranty and potentially have issues down the road I want to have that trust in a shop and experience some good communication with them on the front end. Majority of shops act like you're wasting their time and seem to throw a semi-canned tune on there and call it a day/you're basically ignored on the back end if you have any issues/want something checked out since they're so overloaded and just want the $$.

If there was someone like vengenace or JDP in socal I would go there in a heartbeat. UNfortunately Socal caters to shops that pump em out

2nd 6th gen
Old 02-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #11
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Not Socal but I’d contend the drive north to Caliber Customs is worth it. Besides building numerous record setting late model GMs, the owner and techs are really really good, honest people.......a rarity it seems in this industry. They frequently tackle fixing/completing socal cars after the cars owner grows frustrated with shop they started a build with. In-house, climate controlled AWD Mustang load dyno, and complete fab shop.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #12
SloCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Not Socal but I’d contend the drive north to Caliber Customs is worth it. Besides building numerous record setting late model GMs, the owner and techs are really really good, honest people.......a rarity it seems in this industry. They frequently tackle fixing/completing socal cars after the cars owner grows frustrated with shop they started a build with. In-house, climate controlled AWD Mustang load dyno, and complete fab shop.
Haven't heard of them -- they that good? Feel like I haven't seen their name floated in years on LS forums could just be me

Looks like they mostly do race builds but my car is still a semi-daily -- they work on daily type tunability too? know that's what cunnningham does well

2nd 6th gen
Old 02-17-2022, 03:43 AM   #13
Kenobi13

Drives: 2021 chevy camaro LT1
I think

SS Motorsports is the best for supercharger and all other upgrades only they do not do internal job. But they work with QMP so I heard they do good job. But I had a great experience with them and tried over 10 shops and all of them were so bad
Kenobi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:26 AM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
this is the shop i have been going to lately for all of my work the lsxdr works there and he is awesome they are in orange by angel stadium

https://www.facebook.com/AMPerformanceatPI/