Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #29
Wobble Goat

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Covid 19
Production of dies went down.
People stuck at home; demand for products that use these dies went up.

There are very few CPU Die (Integrated Circuit) Manufacturers.

Industries are trying to buy out these manufacturers so that they can control what specific dies are being made to supply their own demands. Hence the automotive industry is being blamed for slowing down the production of graphic cards for gamers.

Its all related to bitcoin. Bitcoin value sky rocketed causing massive purchases of electronic devices. Some people are even buying 100s of laptops to use for bitcoin mining farms because at its current value, its profitable.
Wobble Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #30
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
What is the excuse for lack of chips? Why the lack of production of chips?
Poor management in the gm corporate structure. Too much focus on tomorrow's vehicles and none on today's vehicles.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #31
Hitman84

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Poor management in the gm corporate structure. Too much focus on tomorrow's vehicles and none on today's vehicles.
even if this were remotely true go try and buy a brand new nvidia 3080 or amd ryzen zen 3 5900x chip. manufactured in the same way and damn near impossible to get if you're not willing to pay scalpers who used bots to get them to resell.

Its not just GM management, silicon is in higher demand then ever.
Hitman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #32
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
If they don’t have enough silicon or whatever or chips to make fossil fuel vehicles now. How are we going to switch over to all electric do they use less silicon or chips. Seems like demand is only going to go up if they’re not prepared now this could be an ongoing thing like gas shortages now it’ll be chip / silicon shortages.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #33
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
I wish you put 我开始说中文 in English
i thought that was the joke...damn chinese microchips.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #34
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
If they don’t have enough silicon or whatever or chips to make fossil fuel vehicles now. How are we going to switch over to all electric do they use less silicon or chips. Seems like demand is only going to go up if they’re not prepared now this could be an ongoing thing like gas shortages now it’ll be chip / silicon shortages.
Which is true and they are "all in" on the electric vehicle scam. When you create a shortage, real or imagined, costs go up too. These people need to slow their future expectations down so they can service what we currently have. I personally don't care for the "Squeeze" being placed on the consumer by politicians and businesses. It is unamerican.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #35
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Saw on news this morning that the truck line lack the ICs for the hardware that provide increased fuel mileage, but they are going to produce and sell them anyway and giving the customer a $50 rebate. Wow! Don't spend it all in one place. But seriously, I would expect they would install the correct hardware when available.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:57 AM   #36
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Saw on news this morning that the truck line lack the ICs for the hardware that provide increased fuel mileage, but they are going to produce and sell them anyway and giving the customer a $50 rebate. Wow! Don't spend it all in one place. But seriously, I would expect they would install the correct hardware when available.
If I was buying a truck I'd thank them for not building mine with that junk.

I have actually thought of buying a pickup, and it would only be used. Pre-2008, so none of that variable displacement garbage or other "fuel saving" crap.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:03 AM   #37
KSA464

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
What is the excuse for lack of chips? Why the lack of production of chips?
Pandemic was one reason, but THIS is the real reason for the shortages. Everything is impacted:

https://www.audioholics.com/news/fir...o-chip-factory
KSA464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:19 AM   #38
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
It's the supply chain and manufacturer shortages, the huge demand over the past year for home electronics whether for work or entertainment, the ridiculous cost of bitcoin and the unreal mining setups that people are putting together to mine the stuff, and the fact that consumer demand has remained stronger than anticipated in areas like the car industry.

It's not just cars and trucks getting the shaft...it's all kinds of things.

Great example is computer graphics cards. I'm running a GPU in my computer that I bought about a year ago for $260 (that actual retailed at the time for $230) and I hated paying over MSRP for it, but it was slim pickings back then. Now it's impossible...unless you want to pay dearly. If I wanted to today, I could turn around and sell my USED GPU for $450 to $500 on Ebay. But that would be foolish because there is nothing on the market/eBay or otherwise to replace it for less cost that performs the same or better. For fun, I tried to get my hands on a new GPU that hit the market a few weeks ago. It was instantly sold out everywhere...and I mean instantly. I was looking at four sites it was supposed to be sold on and it dropped at 11AM. Two of the sites crashed because of high traffic. Now that same GPU that retails for $330 is selling on Ebay for $800 or more. No Thanks.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:42 AM   #39
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
It's the supply chain and manufacturer shortages, the huge demand over the past year for home electronics whether for work or entertainment, the ridiculous cost of bitcoin and the unreal mining setups that people are putting together to mine the stuff, and the fact that consumer demand has remained stronger than anticipated in areas like the car industry.

It's not just cars and trucks getting the shaft...it's all kinds of things.

Great example is computer graphics cards. I'm running a GPU in my computer that I bought about a year ago for $260 (that actual retailed at the time for $230) and I hated paying over MSRP for it, but it was slim pickings back then. Now it's impossible...unless you want to pay dearly. If I wanted to today, I could turn around and sell my USED GPU for $450 to $500 on Ebay. But that would be foolish because there is nothing on the market/eBay or otherwise to replace it for less cost that performs the same or better. For fun, I tried to get my hands on a new GPU that hit the market a few weeks ago. It was instantly sold out everywhere...and I mean instantly. I was looking at four sites it was supposed to be sold on and it dropped at 11AM. Two of the sites crashed because of high traffic. Now that same GPU that retails for $330 is selling on Ebay for $800 or more. No Thanks.
This is true and is why I own Nvidia stock 😀
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:42 AM   #40
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Give me back the analog world. Carbs and points/coils, turntables with simple motors and belts and switches, and stereo receivers with real potentiometers and switches. Lamps and dials, tuned radio circuits, vacuum tubes and big capacitors.

That stuff sounds better than all the digital crap anyway.

Seriously, isn't this all a reminder that maybe the old analog, carbureted world wasn't so bad after all? Stuff just worked, it wasn't literally rocket science, and when it broke you could fix it.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #41
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Give me back the analog world. Carbs and points/coils, turntables with simple motors and belts and switches, and stereo receivers with real potentiometers and switches. Lamps and dials, tuned radio circuits, vacuum tubes and big capacitors.

That stuff sounds better than all the digital crap anyway.

Seriously, isn't this all a reminder that maybe the old analog, carbureted world wasn't so bad after all? Stuff just worked, it wasn't literally rocket science, and when it broke you could fix it.
Yeah but that stuff would never pass emissions nowadays.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:47 AM   #42
JitteryJoe

Drives: 21' LTI, '18 Traverse, '15 Mazda 6
Looks like I got my LT1 just in time :-)
JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote