Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #29
Bradrulz

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT IOM
Elite ..... Looks great, design for emptying is much better than RX, and the quality seems better also
MRT2.0 with Helmholtz Pipes, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 4-Pack Gauges, Flat Black Stripes, Added Spare Tire Kit, Elite Catch Can, Chrome 20" Wheels, HUD, ABL Doors, GM Dovetail, Matte Black Gills, Rear Fascia Blackout
Bradrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradrulz View Post
Elite ..... Looks great, design for emptying is much better than RX, and the quality seems better also
I ask the same question I have to agree seems that ELITE is the best overall. But this is the only one I have personally owned.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #31
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Clean install!

We have them in stock for anyone interested.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #32
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed Sharaf View Post
I am still stock on my Camaro, what is the best catch can to install? Or at least from your experience what do you recommend?
While Elite and RX are good catch cans, I think that they both could be improved upon. With the different intake/performance setups that are out there, there is no single installation location that fits all setups. Even with each company's recommended installation location, it does not seem that well-designed. I've owned both cans. It's the kind of installation where you make a ton of adjustments-it won't be perfect but it will be good enough.

Installation Instructions
If you have to search the internet for other member's installation pictures, then the instructions that came with the can probably aren't that great. So you're basically on your own and hopefully you installed it correctly. People continue to ask daily what a catch can is and how they work. The RX instructions have a lot of text and there are a few member pictures that are dark and applies to very specific setups. The Elite instructions have a diagram of all the parts of the can but could include a diagram of the engine bay to explain what goes where. With some of the botched installations that still occur, some stuff could be clearly labeled or identified. Other members and I have offered suggestions already. No changes are coming.

Location/Design
Elite: surprisingly they did not test-fit their can on any LFXs. They assumed the LLT and LFX radiator shroud was the same but they're not. Customer service was top-notch though, they sent me all their brackets to play with and sent me the prototype LFX bracket. I thought I had a great installation setup figured out but another member actually found a better way. I don't know if any LLT owners have had any problems with the shroud location. The engine cover bolt seems pretty durable. I used 2 L-fittings for my setup.
RX: the passenger location for this can sits lower than the Elite location. The mounting bracket easily moves side-to-side. With the drain fitting at the bottom of the can, which is already in a low position, it's hard to reach easily. It's also hard to see if the drain fitting is open or closed. Like many other people, what I thought was closed was actually open. They could've used a different design, like something on the side with a quick drain fitting. I didn't like how the drain tube: how it had to be loosely zip-tied somewhere, how it spun when rotating the drain fitting, how it's stained with oil, and how there's no plug for it after you are done draining. It works for a lot of satisfied people but it was a real pain and messy process for me if I wanted to drain my can.

To sum it up, I don't think that a best catch can currently exists. To me, the Elite edges over the RX because of the quality of the can and how easy it is to drain. The Elite can is designed for aftermarket intake setups. Another member has the can with a stock intake and fitment is very close to some of the stock parts (might rub). Others including myself have already suggested the prototype bracket be adjusted a little bit more to accommodate the stock setup and to improve upon its current location in relation to the LFX engine cover. As far as I know, no changes are coming.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #33
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
My can is in route now as I type. Thxs again Tyler -JDP can't wait to install.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #34
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActNup NY View Post
My can is in route now as I type. Thxs again Tyler -JDP can't wait to install.
Be sure to post a few pics! I appreciate your support!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #35
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
I ask the same question I have to agree seems that ELITE is the best overall. But this is the only one I have personally owned.
Thanks for all the support
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #36
shadycamaro

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk55 View Post
While Elite and RX are good catch cans, I think that they both could be improved upon. With the different intake/performance setups that are out there, there is no single installation location that fits all setups. Even with each company's recommended installation location, it does not seem that well-designed. I've owned both cans. It's the kind of installation where you make a ton of adjustments-it won't be perfect but it will be good enough.

Installation Instructions
If you have to search the internet for other member's installation pictures, then the instructions that came with the can probably aren't that great. So you're basically on your own and hopefully you installed it correctly. People continue to ask daily what a catch can is and how they work. The RX instructions have a lot of text and there are a few member pictures that are dark and applies to very specific setups. The Elite instructions have a diagram of all the parts of the can but could include a diagram of the engine bay to explain what goes where. With some of the botched installations that still occur, some stuff could be clearly labeled or identified. Other members and I have offered suggestions already. No changes are coming.

Location/Design
Elite: surprisingly they did not test-fit their can on any LFXs. They assumed the LLT and LFX radiator shroud was the same but they're not. Customer service was top-notch though, they sent me all their brackets to play with and sent me the prototype LFX bracket. I thought I had a great installation setup figured out but another member actually found a better way. I don't know if any LLT owners have had any problems with the shroud location. The engine cover bolt seems pretty durable. I used 2 L-fittings for my setup.
RX: the passenger location for this can sits lower than the Elite location. The mounting bracket easily moves side-to-side. With the drain fitting at the bottom of the can, which is already in a low position, it's hard to reach easily. It's also hard to see if the drain fitting is open or closed. Like many other people, what I thought was closed was actually open. They could've used a different design, like something on the side with a quick drain fitting. I didn't like how the drain tube: how it had to be loosely zip-tied somewhere, how it spun when rotating the drain fitting, how it's stained with oil, and how there's no plug for it after you are done draining. It works for a lot of satisfied people but it was a real pain and messy process for me if I wanted to drain my can.

To sum it up, I don't think that a best catch can currently exists. To me, the Elite edges over the RX because of the quality of the can and how easy it is to drain. The Elite can is designed for aftermarket intake setups. Another member has the can with a stock intake and fitment is very close to some of the stock parts (might rub). Others including myself have already suggested the prototype bracket be adjusted a little bit more to accommodate the stock setup and to improve upon its current location in relation to the LFX engine cover. As far as I know, no changes are coming.

I agree with the above when working without an aftermarket CAI installed... I have the E2 (larger can design by elite)... with the LFX bracket it fits (tight/minimal rubbing)... but I had to play around with install to get it where I felt it was best.
shadycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #37
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
I ordered my Elite catch can yesterday. I've read as many posts as I could find and watched a video of an install (which was really well done). A question on cutting the stock tube. I have a utility knife and scissors. Is this good enough to cut the tube or do I need something better?
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #38
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen17 View Post
I ordered my Elite catch can yesterday. I've read as many posts as I could find and watched a video of an install (which was really well done). A question on cutting the stock tube. I have a utility knife and scissors. Is this good enough to cut the tube or do I need something better?
Utility knife is fine.

I'd suggest buying another from a dealer so you can go back to stock if you want.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #39
sstephen17

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Utility knife is fine.

I'd suggest buying another from a dealer so you can go back to stock if you want.
You wouldn't know the part number for the hose would you? Might order it online if it's cheaper than the dealer.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #40
sstephen17

I did a Google search and found this, compatible with a 2013. Anyone know if it's the same for a 2014?

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/chevrolet...pcv-valve-hose
Old 05-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #41
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen17 View Post
You wouldn't know the part number for the hose would you? Might order it online if it's cheaper than the dealer.
Post #5 in this thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269363
Old 06-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #42
Stittville Ed

Drives: 2012 Camaro
Thanks for the write up, very well done.
The pictures helped as far as how to align the fittings and where to cut the stock plastic line.

Thanks,
Ed
Stittville Ed is offline   Reply With Quote