Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #15
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
I totally get where the op is coming from 100%. No you can not compare a Mustang A10 to a Zl1 and he wasn't doing that But...….. Bang for buck the A10 is a beast of a car for the majority. Let's face it who really has 65+k for a car to track only? I certainly don't and would never buy any car for dedicated track and quarter mile use (primary). The majority of ppl buy these cars to enjoy and use. How many (percentage) of Zl1's (not 1le's), Z06's, ctsv's, 5.0's gt350's will actually see a track more than a few times let alone for dedicated purposes? Most ppl either drive them like a Honda Accord except a few spirited runs here and there, or are like me and hit up Mexico regularly or have fun where it is considered forbidden. Now back to my point the A10 is a better buy for most people as most want a car to go fast and that looks badass. Get a base A10 for 31k ish and add another 8k in mods and you are beating majority of what is out there. Is the Zl1 a better car overall? That is a no brainer however if I was on a budget and wasn't as fortunate as I am best believe I would have an A10 in my garage and it wouldn't be stock lol.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #16
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
My 1LE under 40k then adding the Whipple with a few other mods in my sig walks quite a few being a 6spd and handles great. Wanted the best of bold worlds and this was before the 1LE ZL1 came out. I thought the car plus mod costs were in the right spot.... Until I blew up the engine and did a rebuild. Now I probably have one of the most expensive SS 1LE's. lol... Still love the car though but not a DI fan now.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #17
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
My 1LE under 40k then adding the Whipple with a few other mods in my sig walks quite a few being a 6spd and handles great. Wanted the best of bold worlds and this was before the 1LE ZL1 came out.
The ZL1 is essentially the 1LE chassis with the supercharger, except the ZL1 has bigger brakes to handle the increased power. This would have been "the best of both worlds". I can understand if you were not able to spend the money all at once, but the ZL1 is everything and more compared to what you put together. the ZL1 1LE is a more aggressive chassis tune/suspension.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:48 PM   #18
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The ZL1 is essentially the 1LE chassis with the supercharger, except the ZL1 has bigger brakes to handle the increased power. This would have been "the best of both worlds". I can understand if you were not able to spend the money all at once, but the ZL1 is everything and more compared to what you put together. the ZL1 1LE is a more aggressive chassis tune/suspension.
lol went after my pocket but ok. If the ZL1 1LE was introduced before I purchased mine I probably would have bought it but I would have not been satisfied with the LT4 SC. I would have enjoyed the forged pistons though.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Old 11-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
lol went after my pocket but ok. If the ZL1 1LE was introduced before I purchased mine I probably would have bought it but I would have not been satisfied with the LT4 SC. I would have enjoyed the forged pistons though.
I am with you here too! I bought my 2017 ss fifty before 1le and Zl1's were out and did a pretty big build (800+) rwhp bc I wanted the best of both worlds as well (this was before I bought my Zl1 obviously) Tbh if I had to do it all over again I would have either got a Zl1 or A10 5.0 and tossed a blower and bolt ons and called it good.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #20
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
I guess the question is how fast do you want to go? My ZL1 did a 10.79 at a hair under 133 mph in mediocre air with some minor bolt ons (headers,intake,TB). This was at stock boost levels. I’ve since done an upper pulley, and I’m quite confident it’ll be fast enough to get booted off the track for not having a roll bar.

I was one of those looking at doing a blower swap, but the car is plenty fast without. Not that I wouldn’t love a 2650 blower for it, but it just isn’t needed. Not for my goals at least.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #21
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I guess the question is how fast do you want to go? My ZL1 did a 10.79 at a hair under 133 mph in mediocre air with some minor bolt ons (headers,intake,TB). This was at stock boost levels. I’ve since done an upper pulley, and I’m quite confident it’ll be fast enough to get booted off the track for not having a roll bar.

I was one of those looking at doing a blower swap, but the car is plenty fast without. Not that I wouldn’t love a 2650 blower for it, but it just isn’t needed. Not for my goals at least.
I'm old lol and like driving the m6 and I know this thread is really about the a10. So for me I wanted the extra power to go fast straight, handle the turns, and enjoy running through the gears. Didn't mean to highjack the thread last night I had a few extra sips then I probably should.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #22
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
I'm old lol and like driving the m6 and I know this thread is really about the a10. So for me I wanted the extra power to go fast straight, handle the turns, and enjoy running through the gears. Didn't mean to highjack the thread last night I had a few extra sips then I probably should.
I'm young and enjoy rowing my own gears while hauling ass lol. my Zl1 and Z06 are both manuals!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #23
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyDog View Post
Today Car and Driver online has a piece on the two Mustangs with the new 10 speed, similar to our own transmission.

First of all, they are not impressed with the Ford A10 during spirited driving. Ford and GM both worked on it but I don't know what the differences are. I love mine for sure - no regrets.

Scroll down to the V8 model. The weight of the GT coupe is 3851 lb.

I can't help but to notice how quick that sucker is in a straight line. I know, I know, this is not what the ZL1 is about. For one thing I own a convertible so straight line is not my thing. Nonetheless that GT coupe gets mighty close to the ZL1 LE and vert auto with 200 fewer hp and torque (stick in one case and weight in the other enter into the equation of course, but even the coupe auto!). What gives? traction would be my guess. I admit I have not compared the other numbers, but they don't appear to be too far apart either if I recall. The skidpad # of the GT is sharply lower than the LE and the Coupe ZL1.

I realize that these are just numbers on paper, but nonetheless. The law of diminishing returns seems to be at play here. I have owned a few Mustang GTs back in the day. It has gone a long way for sure.

smh. makes no sense. The 2 aren't even in the same league as each other. First, the Zl1 sauces the 350 and 350R so. Can't imagine what it will do to a GT. Stop with this non sense.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:50 AM   #24
Chris Edwards

Drives: 2017 ZL1
A $30k Mustang GT with a $8k Hellion twin turbo kit will leave a ZL1 in the dust like it’s a transformers play toy. There are always faster cars. Who cares? Drive what makes you get your jollies off. As stated many cars will embarrass the ZL1 both on a drag strip and the road course. Ever seen the 4-door electric Tesla spank the ZL1 like it was a red headed stepchild? RWD will only take you so far. The ZL1 is a loud fast(ish) V8 boombox with a great transmission (A10). Enjoy it for what it is!
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #25
mexi

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Edwards View Post
A $30k Mustang GT with a $8k Hellion twin turbo kit will leave a ZL1 in the dust like it’s a transformers play toy. There are always faster cars. Who cares? Drive what makes you get your jollies off. As stated many cars will embarrass the ZL1 both on a drag strip and the road course. Ever seen the 4-door electric Tesla spank the ZL1 like it was a red headed stepchild? RWD will only take you so far. The ZL1 is a loud fast(ish) V8 boombox with a great transmission (A10). Enjoy it for what it is!
What car is whooping a Zl1 on a road course? What price range here?

RWD will only take you so far? fastest cars on the strip are RWD and front tires are not touching the ground.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #26
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
It’s all good. This thread isn’t exactly on topic. I was really just saying that the LT4 blower deserves more credit than many give it. My goal is a sub-10.50 @ 135 mph, which shouldn’t be a problem with the 8% upper.

I almost built my own SS 1LE like you did, but decided against it for various reasons. Mainly, it was my research into the LT1 and how they don’t hold up all that well to boost. That and I’m done with doing major modifications to new cars that I’ll likely sell within 5 years. I probably would have wanted to do pistons, fuel system, etc. That’s what’s awesome about the ZL1. A few basic bolt-ons, and it’s a seriously quick car.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #27
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
I don't get all the mustang fan boy stuff. If I wanted a mustang, I would have bought one. Simple as that.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #28
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
And if they made a 650hp convertible in 2016 or 2017, I would be driving one... and probably pissed about engine tick and driveline stuff failing.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote