Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Dylan Quizzy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, Nightfury Cam,
Bad Vibration @50+ Need Answers!

Long story short, I have a 2010 Camaro SS cammed FBO - 76,000 miles - 6 speed manual. I have read countless threads on people with similar issues. Still no answers.

Problem: Feeling vibration around 50mph and anything faster it stays the same. Under full throttle I rarely notice it. But the key issue is that it randomly occurs. Sometimes Its hardly noticeable. But is occurring about 85% of the time now. Usually it gets better throughout a drive and can be randomly violent the first time I accelerate to 50 but once I brake come to a stop and speed back up it won't be as bad.
The steering wheel shakes side to side, I can feel it in my seat, shifter, pedals. It feels like a deep drivetrain vibration. When I brake it goes away.

My axles are a bit loose when I grab them. I know they will slide in and out a bit but Im able to move them around in a circular motion. (Yes those need to be replaced) But I'm not sure that will cause the whole thing to vibrate.

Attempts to Fix:
- 8 months ago I had my driveshaft pilot bearing go out so I replaced that. It feels similar in vibration. This time I put an aluminum DSS one piece in it. No change.
- Got an alignment and wheels balanced. No change.
- Got new wheels and tires balanced and aligned. No change
- Checked tie rods and anything that could be worn out when I installed lowering springs 2 months ago. Nothing looked bad. (Im no mechanic so I will be revisiting this issue with a pro)

Conclusion:
Everything I have read points to - alignment - wheels/tires out of round etc - driveshaft going out - tie rods worn out - wheel hubs - Steering rack issue?
What should be my next step? Anyone have any insight at all?!? When I drove my friends 12' SS I realized how bad the vibration was and how I'd gotten used to it because his car felt so smooth and I really want my car to feel that way...
I bought the car as a project that needed a lot of love and now its my daily but this issue drives me insane! Im going to get the car on the lift and inspect all of it with a GM tech soon.
Dylan Quizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Yes, axles definitely cause a vibration.
I had the left rear axle shaft come loose on me. Only vibrated on acceleration at first, but it soon got worse and could be felt all the time.
Tightened up the axle nut with a new nut and a bit of loctite and it's good to go.
BMR 1" lowering springs, trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified FULLY 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Many possible causes, of course. If the steering wheel shakes but you have addressed balance, you could have blown-out struts or loose front bearings.

Maybe you have more than one aging parts problem. You haven't mentioned whether a pro has diagnosed the car.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
My first step would be a visual/physical inspection. Look and shake all of the drivetrain. If nothing shows up jack the back end of the car up and spin the wheels under power and see if there is any vibration. Check the wheels for out of round by putting a board against the back and sides of the tire. If nothing shows up on the back, at least you have narrowed things to the front. Put the front tires on the back and spin them again, and see if you have vibration or wheels out of round. If still nothing, I would start looking at the front hubs.

If nothing shows up after this, I guess I would expect transmission or motor problems.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
CamaroBarb

Drives: cheby Camaro
Check the lower control arm bushings.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #6
Dylan Quizzy

I will add the LCA to my list, I believe my back left strut is beginning to give out because looking at wheel to fender clearance there is probably almost half an inch of difference between the left to right side. This is done on multiple surfaces and inclines.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #7
Dylan Quizzy

I am leaning towards having a front wheel hub going out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Many possible causes, of course. If the steering wheel shakes but you have addressed balance, you could have blown-out struts or loose front bearings.

Maybe you have more than one aging parts problem. You haven't mentioned whether a pro has diagnosed the car.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Build up of pad material on the brake rotors will cause this. It will stick and then create a balance rubbing issue. After hard braking it will remove it and go away until next time. What kind of brake pads and rotors do you have on it?
Old 03-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #9
Dylan Quizzy

I don't actually know, I have a new set siting in my living room though, I will install those in the next week. Previous owner installed them, they have about 25k on them and have seen 160mph numerous times. So that needs to be changed anyways
Old 03-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
When did it start?
Forged 376, E85, milled GMPP ported heads, Night Fury, Vmax TB, GPI rod mod manifold,Improved racing,Melling,ATI, DSE, DW, BTR, Smith Brothers, McLeod twin RXT, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Vararam OTR intake,Tick,Elite CC,Kooks headers/HFC,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017,Continental Extreme Contact, Nitto555R
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote