Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2022, 07:22 PM   #1
Armyavi8r

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Improperly installed catch can?

I attempted to clean out my Mishimoto catch can and discovered it was as clean as new (4,000 miles after installation). Upon further examination, it looks like GPI tech may have installed it incorrectly. The hose coming off the crank case is connected to OUT port and the hose connected to IN port is also connected to the vacuum off the Vararam air intake. Does this seem ass-backward? Can this screw anything up or degrade performance?
2010 2SS/RS A6. GPI SS3 VVT Cam, 228/246 / AFM Delete / Circle D 4C 36-3800 Stall / Stainless Works LTHs, High Flow Cats, X-pipe, Borla Pro XS Mufflers and Quad Tips / Vararam CAI / Soler 95mm PTB / AAM 3.91 gear / GPI Ported Heads / GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake Manifold/ Smith Bros. Trunnions / GPI 5/16" hardened push rods, 7.425"/ Chevrolet Racing Lifters / Melling 10355 Oil Pump / Powermaster XS Torque Starter / Derale Xmsn Cooler / 1LE Suspension Upgrade System / BMR Strut Tower Brace, Trailing Arms and Toe Rods / Powerbond 25% UDP / Mishimoto catch can / iDatalink Maestro.

Last edited by Armyavi8r; 03-28-2022 at 12:03 AM.
Armyavi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I have my Elite catch can In hose in the rear of the driver's side valve cover. The out hose gets mounted into the S/C intake.

2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.

Last edited by sscamaro; 03-29-2022 at 01:37 PM.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I have my catch can In hose in the rear of the driver's side valve cover. The out hose gets mounted into the S/C intake.
This is where mine Is connected, as well. Out hose is to the TB.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:51 PM   #4
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyavi8r View Post
I attempted to clean out my Mishimoto catch can and discovered it was as clean as new (4,000 miles after installation). Upon further examination, it looks like GPI tech may have installed it incorrectly. The hose coming off the crank case is connected to OUT port and the hose connected to IN port is also connected to the vacuum off the Vararam air intake. Does this seem ass-backward? Can this screw anything up or degrade performance?
I would say it's backwards for a standard, primary, catchcan setup. In should be dirty, out should be from catchcan to intake, a vacuum source. Should not hurt anything, but the effectiveness of the can will be reduced. Can you post pics of "the hose from the crankcase" and the Vararam? But here is what I believe is going on. The connection on the Vararam does not have much vacuum. So, what they did can be correct. Here's why. The crank needs fed with clean air. So the clean air would come from the Vararam nipple, supplying the crank with fresh air. Which I believe the feed for the L99 is on the passenger side valve cover. Under high RPMs, pressure in the crankcase can increase and cause a reversion, actually pushing dirty air back through the normally fresh air supply. So, this catchcan would capture those vapors. There's a chance, if you do not run your car hard or even if you do, there would be little to nothing in that can. This is usually the second can installed. Do you have 2 cans? The primary catchcan, the one I believe your thinking of, should be connected to capture vapors from the crankcase, driver's side valve cover, to the intake manifold side of the throttle body. That provides a lot of vacuum at that location, due to the pressure differential with the throttle body plate closed or partially closed. But at wot, you lose that differential and thus vacuum. So when you build pressure in the crank, reversion, as mentioned earlier, can occur.
Look at the drawing on post #17. I believe the can that is installed in your car is for the clean side, green line. You need to have a dirty side can installed as well, the orange side being in, the yellow line being out.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...php?p=10398435
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock

Last edited by Badbubba; 03-29-2022 at 12:03 AM.
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:23 AM   #5
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
This is where mine Is connected, as well. Out hose is to the TB.
0stones0 is correct, OUT goes to the throttle body. I have a clean side separator so the IN port is going back to the PVC but I have an Elite Catch Can and I know the Vararam is little different.