Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-05-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
DMan918

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible 6MT
Headers and cat back - anything specific for install?

Hi All,

Ordered up my stainless power catted longtube headers and solo sc catback. Comes in a few days. Anything else I should pick up for a smooth installation? Any gaskets etc? I only have basic tools so any specific tool that will make things a lot easier?

Thanks!
DMan918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
Rons1le

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE AGM
If I lived closer I would help. PM me for more questions.
I would order a new set of header bolts preferably socketed Allen head type. And a new set of factory manifold gaskets. Also to make it easier take two of the old manifold bolts cut the heads off and put them in the head as studs. Then you can hang the new gasket and the new header and start the other bolts then take the two studs out and put the new bolts in. Also don't forget to use a little bit of high temperature anti seize for the bolts. I have done 4 5th gens this way and one was a V6. Pictures for bolts size and part #s..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2015 2SS RS 1LE NPP/w Kooks headers, Procharged, ID1050X injectors, Katech belt tensioner, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, BMR subframe connectors, Matco driveshaft loop, AEM Wideband/Boost/Fuel gauges , Z/28 Splitter and Spoiler/w Wicker bill, Power Stop rotors and brake pads, MRR Z/28 Rep Wheels 20" w/p zeros 285 fronts and 305 rears, ZL1 addons Rock guards and Tow hook, Rear window louvers, Flags on the quarter windows and the moonroof, Billet aluminum door handles.

Last edited by Rons1le; 07-05-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Rons1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
DMan918

Thanks for the response. The stainless power headers come with new bolts. I figure I would use those. Yes I’ll order new oem gaskets to be safe. Good call. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons1le View Post
If I lived closer I would help. PM me for more questions.
I would order a new set of header bolts preferably socketed Allen head type. And a new set of factory manifold gaskets. Also to make it easier take two of the old manifold bolts cut the heads off and put them in the head as studs. Then you can hang the new gasket and the new header and start the other bolts then take the two studs out and put the new bolts in. Also don't forget to use a little bit of high temperature anti seize for the bolts. I have done 4 5th gens this way and one was a V6. Pictures for bolts size and part #s..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 07-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Get new gaskets for sure... Yeah, you could use the old ones but my guess is it that the new gaskets will conform to the new headers better than the old ones.

joe...
Old 07-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
DMan918

Thanks! New gaskets ordered. Got em yesterday.

Should I use the oem bolts or ones included with the headers?
Old 07-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan918 View Post
Thanks! New gaskets ordered. Got em yesterday.

Should I use the oem bolts or ones included with the headers?
That's up to you.
When I did mine, I got ARP manifold bolts that I planned to use when I installed my headers.
However, I ended up using the stock bolts because I had the hardest time getting the ARP bolts to thread in right.
The stock bolts have a taper on the end that makes them easier to get started in their threaded holes.
The ARPs are squared off on the ends and I couldn't get them at that perfect position to get them threaded properly.
Obviously many others have had no problem with their ARP bolts, so perhaps my sausage fingered hands didn't cut it.
Trawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
I like the OEM bolts but they are not the prettiest. If that matters than go for looks. I also reused the OEM gasket with no issue but best to replace as others mentioned.

Remove the plugs unless you plan to replace them. Very easy to crack maneuvering around the headers & manifolds.

Make sure you get it raised enough to get the headers under.

Job is maybe 2 beers tops.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Stainless works/Stainless power say to use their rtv gasket maker and that you dont need gaskets. I call bs on that and reused my stock gaskets. The stainless works bolts are fine. I always put new plugs in when I installed the shorties and installed the long tubes
Old 07-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
chevyz1
Wife named it "Ghost"

Drives: 2012 Camaro Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Don't forget O2 extensions and a tune after to tune out the rear o2's.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
If the O2 extensions work, you don't need to tune the Downstream O2s out. You
don't need them on the Upstream, they are what determine mixture. The downstream
monitors the Cats, which don't exists, so P0420 and P0430 get set. So, if you put
the spacers on, and the codes do not come back, you're good. If you're not in an
emissions state, then just turn them off in a tune. I have Hi-Flow cats, and had to go
one extension and one anti-fouler on each side to get rid of the Cat Efficiency codes.
I passed emissions...
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
DMan918

Have my sct x4 ready to go. Stainless power also comes with extensions.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Gonna need a couple 12 packs.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #13
Rich2010

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray LS3 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
If the O2 extensions work, you don't need to tune the Downstream O2s out. You
don't need them on the Upstream, they are what determine mixture. The downstream
monitors the Cats, which don't exists, so P0420 and P0430 get set. So, if you put
the spacers on, and the codes do not come back, you're good. If you're not in an
emissions state, then just turn them off in a tune. I have Hi-Flow cats, and had to go
one extension and one anti-fouler on each side to get rid of the Cat Efficiency codes.
I passed emissions...
He’s talking about a wiring harness to extend the length of the O2 sensor wiring because long tubes move the primary sensor further down.