Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
linkmon99

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible
2012 SS - Straight Pipes, Adding CAI and then Tune?

Hi all! I've been an avid browser of this forum since I purchased my Camaro last summer, but this is my first time making a post.
I realize there are similar threads out there but I wanted some advice on the specific setup I might go for:

So I have a 2012 Camaro SS Convertible I purchased about a year ago. In December I did a muffler delete and I love it (simply removed mufflers, installed pipe in their place).
However, I'm now considering getting this:
https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...ntake-black-2/

After installing that, I'm thinking about bringing it to a shop to get it tuned to unleash max performance (and also to disable the AFM that comes stock with the cars).

I was just looking for some opinions, feedback, and/or suggestions on this route, thank you!
linkmon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
There are some internet tuners on the board... you send them your current tune, they get it all ready and you then upload it. My guess going to a local tuner will maximize your tune but if you're basically stock, the tuners on the board will help. I had RDP do mine and I'm satisfied for what I got (for the price).

I did a muffler delete too on my L99 but not until I had LTH/HFC and X-pipe did my car first sound like a muscle car.

joe...
Old 07-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
kburlar

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkmon99 View Post
Hi all! I've been an avid browser of this forum since I purchased my Camaro last summer, but this is my first time making a post.
I realize there are similar threads out there but I wanted some advice on the specific setup I might go for:

So I have a 2012 Camaro SS Convertible I purchased about a year ago. In December I did a muffler delete and I love it (simply removed mufflers, installed pipe in their place).
However, I'm now considering getting this:
https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...ntake-black-2/

After installing that, I'm thinking about bringing it to a shop to get it tuned to unleash max performance (and also to disable the AFM that comes stock with the cars).

I was just looking for some opinions, feedback, and/or suggestions on this route, thank you!

Hi:
You should give Ted Jannetty at Jannetty Racing a call to discuss what you are looking to do. He did all the work on my Camaro and I could not be happier.
Thanks.
3.91 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac Posi, Billet Main Caps, Ported Throttle Body
1LE Suspension. ZL1 Springs, 2.9L Whipple Ssupercharger
kburlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
I can tell you some of the popular tuners mentioned here do absolutely no changes to the tune for a CAI and headers. I have a HP tuner and compared factory to the so called e-mail tuners here.

The factory tune will adjust in closed loop just fine. Once outside of that you need a real tune. For the L99 I understand a lot of potential can be had with your application to make you smile.

My opinion if I had to do it all over again would be to find a good local tuner if you plan to continue mods. It will go a long way. I went through one here and wasted a lot of $ on a tune that he could not get right and ended up going to ECS locally to fix it. Costed me double in the end.

All depends on what you plan on doing. If sticking with bolt ons then you should be ok. Some are better than others and can work on remote tuning fine. My experience was just not good.

Best of luck with your mods and enjoy most of all!!
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote