Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #15
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Congrats!! Nice color

They are awesome machines for sure!
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #16
Onispliter

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Hell of a ride! Enjoy it. Try to use the paint chip protection products, especially if you intend to drive daily.
Thank you! Is there any you recommend in particular?
Onispliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #17
Onispliter

Love the car, just have one very small gripe, you can barely hear the SC, I sometimes forget its even there lol I've read a CAI helps but I live in California which don't allow them :[
Old 12-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #18
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onispliter View Post
Love the car, just have one very small gripe, you can barely hear the SC, I sometimes forget its even there lol I've read a CAI helps but I live in California which don't allow them :[
I'm not sure but I think the z28 cia is allowed
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #19
Onispliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
I'm not sure but I think the z28 cia is allowed
Looked into it and they are also not allowed in California. But even if it did allow them though it does not fit a ZL1 because of the SC the engine configuration is different. You could fit it on a SS though.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #20
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Rotofab CAI and if it doesn't pass smog, you were wise enough to keep your OEM intake and replace it for 2yr smogs.
And not having the rotofab sticker on it so it looks more OEM and has a better chance of passing as is.
https://www.jreperformanceparts.com/...ld-air-intake/
If you only replace the CAI a re-tune isn't required and you will gain some hp.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #21
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Cali must be a very difficult place to live
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #22
Onispliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
Cali must be a very difficult place to live
It sure is, the gas tax that was past recently didn't help either
Old 12-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #23
Onispliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Rotofab CAI and if it doesn't pass smog, you were wise enough to keep your OEM intake and replace it for 2yr smogs.
And not having the rotofab sticker on it so it looks more OEM and has a better chance of passing as is.
https://www.jreperformanceparts.com/...ld-air-intake/
If you only replace the CAI a re-tune isn't required and you will gain some hp.
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into it.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #24
Onispliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Congrats.

Best Camaro year ever!

Your close to me so let me know.... I've got some great back roads near Yucaipa & Beaumont to "test" your ZL1 out on.
KaBoom1701, I see you have quite a few mods on your ZL1, any places you recommend here in SoCal for once I want to start mods on mine? Help appreciated.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #25
Mattzkatz

Drives: Not yet, but soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onispliter View Post
KaBoom1701, I see you have quite a few mods on your ZL1, any places you recommend here in SoCal for once I want to start mods on mine? Help appreciated.
So not being in or around Cali (thank the lord ) if you are worried about passing smog w/ a CAI why/how are there any performance shops to do anything else (performance wise) to your car? Sorry, not trying to be dense, but the 2 comments don't add up for me and contradict each other
Mattzkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #26
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzkatz View Post
So not being in or around Cali (thank the lord ) if you are worried about passing smog w/ a CAI why/how are there any performance shops to do anything else (performance wise) to your car? Sorry, not trying to be dense, but the 2 comments don't add up for me and contradict each other
There are a very few California Air Resources Board CARB approved mods IF the manufacturers want to spend $$$$$ to have them approved for 50 states smog approved sale.
Most things are not approved. A few mods got the approval including a supercharger kit are if you look hard enough to find them.
A person can't change out anything and pass smog. If the OBDII shows a bad code or visually there are mods during smog check you fail.
Any shop installing non approved mods could face big azz fines unless it was for Off road use only. I'm not a lawyer nor EPA so I can't say how to dance that line. Some things are not legal for sale in California despite that off road use only disclaimer like cat delete pipes. Starting tomorrow we could go down the block and buy marijuana but not a pipe. Go figure.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #27
Mattzkatz

Drives: Not yet, but soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
There are a very few California Air Resources Board CARB approved mods IF the manufacturers want to spend $$$$$ to have them approved for 50 states smog approved sale.
Most things are not approved. A few mods got the approval including a supercharger kit are if you look hard enough to find them.
A person can't change out anything and pass smog. If the OBDII shows a bad code or visually there are mods during smog check you fail.
Any shop installing non approved mods could face big azz fines unless it was for Off road use only. I'm not a lawyer nor EPA so I can't say how to dance that line. Some things are not legal for sale in California despite that off road use only disclaimer like cat delete pipes. Starting tomorrow we could go down the block and buy marijuana but not a pipe. Go figure.

... gotcha. Makes COMPLETE RATIONAL sense now . No offense to anyone that lives there, but damn glad I don't . Honestly though, that has to be frustrating to deal with. Not saying KY or IN don't come with there own problems, but luckily EPA and smog inspections are 2 of them; at least not currently.

Owning a sports car and living in CA ==>

Mattzkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #28
Onispliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzkatz View Post
... gotcha. Makes COMPLETE RATIONAL sense now . No offense to anyone that lives there, but damn glad I don't . Honestly though, that has to be frustrating to deal with. Not saying KY or IN don't come with there own problems, but luckily EPA and smog inspections are 2 of them; at least not currently.

Owning a sports car and living in CA ==>

It is what it is, was already born here so you get used to it or learn to accept it lol still love my ZL1, great stock package.