Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #43
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
Pete, Could someone upgrade ONLY the Front brake setup with the CTS-V parts?

It appears the REAR Calipers,Rotor size, and pads are the same as the Camaro Rear.. Correct? Do you gain anything by upgrading the rear setup? From your writeup in the first post, it seems as if you did it so the caliper colors would match.

I can see a benefit to doing the front setup.. not sure what you gained from swapping the rear setup.
CTS-V Front Calipers, Rotors, Pads and Lines are $2,075. Witt Buick Pedders will install them including fluid and full ABS bleed for $2,349.99.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #44
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Cool. After all the work Witt Buick Pedders did on this project they have earned a few retail suspension jobs. This brake project was something I really wanted to bring to the community. GM did a great job with the CTS-V and I can't remember the last time I could say I was proud to have Caddy parts on my car.

Pedders will not be making any money on the brakes. Not a penny. The Cadillac of Brakes for the Camaro is just one Camaro enthusiast bragging about his personal Camaro, GM and Cadillac.
Well our V6s has the Caddy motor
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #45
Reeko

Drives: 69 Camaro RS Conv. 2010 Camaro SS
So,
This is the first time I heard that you need a programmer/scan-tool to do a full brake bleed.

So, if I want to completely flush my brake fluid, I need a programmer?
Reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #46
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
Very impressice set up I'd do that
Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #47
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post
So,
This is the first time I heard that you need a programmer/scan-tool to do a full brake bleed.

No. It is not necessary unless the system has been run dry, or at least to the point air has entered the ABS manifold. You can swap the brake calipers, brake lines and/or flush the fluid without needing to cycle the ABS valves. Standard bleeding practices apply. Some GM vehicles (like the Hummer H3) do require a special procedure to open the rear circuit (it's in the service manual), but the Camaro's I've seen don't require this.
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #48
Sean@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro X5 Turbo
Very, very nice innovation guys!!! Perfect write-up!
Sean@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #49
ElManny

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS COTW 7/5/2010
Send a message via AIM to ElManny
would it be possible to post a parts list with part numbers so if we have our own in with parts we can follow in your footsteps?
ElManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #50
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
first off. WOW. just wow. that is an awesome swap

Quote:
If you would like to order a turn key kit you can call Arthur at Witt Buick Pedders (231) 722-3771 for $3,400 including the Pedders SS lines.
thats not that bad considering its coming from a caddy...
Quote:
You're right about needing acess to a GM service center at times. That is why I really appreciate the access I have at Witt, especially when doing GM based R & D. The master cyclinders are different on a six. Full retail on a new master is ONLY $123.81 so we are not talking big bucks. If there is a six owner looking to upgrade we would like to do it here at Witt. Then we can post the results here.
cant wait to see that!
Quote:
CTS-V Front Calipers, Rotors, Pads and Lines are $2,075. Witt Buick Pedders will install them including fluid and full ABS bleed for $2,349.99.
that is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElManny View Post
would it be possible to post a parts list with part numbers so if we have our own in with parts we can follow in your footsteps?
you could contact Witt Buick Pedders and see if they could give you the parts list.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #51
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Pete, the SS brake calipers are Brembo's, do you know who makes the 6 piston CTS-V calipers? SLP upgraded their car with 6 piston Brembo's and did not see much of a difference in stopping distance. Have you had a chance to test the stopping distance of the SS brakes and the Camaro with CTS-V brakes?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #52
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post
So,

The only way to cycle the 2010 Camaro ABS pump on the rack is with a Tech II. That means the only way to change out brake fluid is with a TECH II.

If all you are doing is bleeding a caliper you do not need to cycle the ABS pump and would not need a Tech II.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #53
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Pete, the SS brake calipers are Brembo's, do you know who makes the 6 piston CTS-V calipers? SLP upgraded their car with 6 piston Brembo's and did not see much of a difference in stopping distance. Have you had a chance to test the stopping distance of the SS brakes and the Camaro with CTS-V brakes?
Yhe CTS-V calipers are made by Brembo. We have not had track time to measure stopping distance. Spring and track time are near. Subjectively there seems be a significant improvement. We'll find out soon enough.

Which Brembo system did SLP use?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #54
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
...do you know who makes the 6 piston CTS-V calipers? SLP upgraded their car with 6 piston Brembo's and did not see much of a difference in stopping distance. Have you had a chance to test the stopping distance of the SS brakes and the Camaro with CTS-V brakes?
They are also Brembos -- and are LOT better piece than the ones on the front of the SS. The Caddy front units are very similar to the ones on the ZR1, Nissan GT-R, Ferrari Enzo and Mercedes-Benz CL63 and like the better Brembo Gran Turismo aftermarket kits. They will feel better and handle more heat than the lower-level SS units as they are stiffer and have more pad surface area.

Having said that, there is no guarantee of better panic stopping distances. That is controlled by the tires and ABS. To stop quicker, get stickier tires and make slight change to the mechanical brake bias.

Has anyone done the math on the CTS-V system to make sure it is has the correct balance for the V-8 Camaro? If it moves it more toward the front axle, that would be going the wrong way.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #55
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
They are also Brembos -- and are LOT better piece than the ones on the front of the SS. The Caddy front units are very similar to the ones on the ZR1, Nissan GT-R, Ferrari Enzo and Mercedes-Benz CL63 and like the better Brembo Gran Turismo aftermarket kits. They will feel better and handle more heat than the lower-level SS units as they are stiffer and have more pad surface area.

Having said that, there is no guarantee of better panic stopping distances. That is controlled by the tires and ABS. To stop quicker, get stickier tires and make slight change to the mechanical brake bias.

Has anyone done the math on the CTS-V system to make sure it is has the correct balance for the V-8 Camaro? If it moves it more toward the front axle, that would be going the wrong way.

Chris
Yes the math and more has been done by brake engineers with the expertise required to do it correctly. Anyone that doubts this simply does not know me.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #56
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post

Chris
Probably won't make much difference during the first stop, but the next 20 or 30 brake stabs will likely be much more confidence inspiring considering how this car is driven (and by whom.)