Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
You cannot predict a collectors car, esp in a mass produced market.

The BEST chance for a True Collector in the last few years has been.

the 2009 Pontiac GXP with a LS3 and a 6speed Manual.

Total G8 GXP production was 1,829 units half of that were m6 LS3s. Keeping in mind it was the MOST pwerful Pontiac ever made and the Pontiac Died.

IF you can find one, they are still mid thirties.

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
SLP Performance

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
A little history for those not familiar with SLP. Before Camaro, we (SLP) built specialty performance packages sold through GM Performance Parts and in 1991 we started building the Pontiac Firehawk. We built the Firehawk from 1991 through 2002. We also built the 1996 & 1997 Pontiac Ram Air WS6, many festival/pace cars and the Comp T/A. Going back before that some of you in the performance industry may remember some of our other businesses such as Hamburger's Oil Pans.

In 1994 we approached Chevrolet with the proposal to bring back the SS and provided a mule. Chevrolet was not convinced an SS Camaro would sell, so the idea was fine tuned for over one year before Chevrolet came back to us (SLP) and issued us an RPO to build the SS as an option for Camaro with the only stipulation being that SLP was responsible for all testing/validation, Marketing and warranty of the vehicle. In other words, if Camaro SS was a failure, it would be on SLP and not GM. We did well. In 1996 we took 27 magazine covers and sold many SS's. Same for 1997 and we built even more SS's including the 30th Anniversary SS, Hendrick SS's, etc.. In 1998 GM issued a new RPO and took us in house, meaning that more of the content was placed on the vehicle at St. Therese, but in the end all 1996-2002 Camaro SS's final assembly was done at SLP. During these years as mentioned above, Camaro Brand Team wanted additional content that could not be done via conventional means through GM, so SLP took on that responsibility via the RPO Y2Y options such as the optional differentials, suspensions and exhausts.

Throughout the years, we've constantly developed new product for both our aftermarket performance business as well as our dealer/OEM business. ZL is a trademark of SLP and when we started developing packages for the new Camaro to be sold through the dealers, we naturally put the HP numbers next to ZL indicating what the vehicle put out knowing that we would eventually create a ZL1 to complement what was done in 1969 and showcase what we could legally do today (Remember, back in 1986 when we started SLP, SLP stood for Street Legal Performance). Fast forward to today, Although I cannot and will not get into details beyond this - we've come to an arrangement where GM will use ZL1 on the 2012 Camaro going forward and SLP will continue to use our ZL mark.

For the comments regarding exclusivity on parts, we only offer the ZL specific components on our Limited Production ZL cars. We do this to help protect the investment of our customers who buy the ZL cars. We also try to give our non-ZL customers similar parts buy revising/re-tooling items such as the wheels, hood and spoiler which are sold through SLP Performance Parts.

I hope to see you all at the Camaro 5 Fest II in Phoenix!

-Dave Hamburger
Director of Marketing
www.slpcamaro.com
SLP Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
united1

Drives: slpzl585vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP Performance View Post
A little history for those not familiar with SLP. Before Camaro, we (SLP) built specialty performance packages sold through GM Performance Parts and in 1991 we started building the Pontiac Firehawk. We built the Firehawk from 1991 through 2002. We also built the 1996 & 1997 Pontiac Ram Air WS6, many festival/pace cars and the Comp T/A. Going back before that some of you in the performance industry may remember some of our other businesses such as Hamburger's Oil Pans.

In 1994 we approached Chevrolet with the proposal to bring back the SS and provided a mule. Chevrolet was not convinced an SS Camaro would sell, so the idea was fine tuned for over one year before Chevrolet came back to us (SLP) and issued us an RPO to build the SS as an option for Camaro with the only stipulation being that SLP was responsible for all testing/validation, Marketing and warranty of the vehicle. In other words, if Camaro SS was a failure, it would be on SLP and not GM. We did well. In 1996 we took 27 magazine covers and sold many SS's. Same for 1997 and we built even more SS's including the 30th Anniversary SS, Hendrick SS's, etc.. In 1998 GM issued a new RPO and took us in house, meaning that more of the content was placed on the vehicle at St. Therese, but in the end all 1996-2002 Camaro SS's final assembly was done at SLP. During these years as mentioned above, Camaro Brand Team wanted additional content that could not be done via conventional means through GM, so SLP took on that responsibility via the RPO Y2Y options such as the optional differentials, suspensions and exhausts.

Throughout the years, we've constantly developed new product for both our aftermarket performance business as well as our dealer/OEM business. ZL is a trademark of SLP and when we started developing packages for the new Camaro to be sold through the dealers, we naturally put the HP numbers next to ZL indicating what the vehicle put out knowing that we would eventually create a ZL1 to complement what was done in 1969 and showcase what we could legally do today (Remember, back in 1986 when we started SLP, SLP stood for Street Legal Performance). Fast forward to today, Although I cannot and will not get into details beyond this - we've come to an arrangement where GM will use ZL1 on the 2012 Camaro going forward and SLP will continue to use our ZL mark.

For the comments regarding exclusivity on parts, we only offer the ZL specific components on our Limited Production ZL cars. We do this to help protect the investment of our customers who buy the ZL cars. We also try to give our non-ZL customers similar parts buy revising/re-tooling items such as the wheels, hood and spoiler which are sold through SLP Performance Parts.

-Dave Hamburger
Director of Marketing
www.slpcamaro.com
well put I'm glad you put that out there. My vert is in your shop now for the zl585 upfit , It's the IOM one feel free to throw me a couple t-shirts in the back seat x-large
united1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Dave, thanks for your comments and insights only you can provide on these things.

SLP has a deep and storied history with GM and Camaro especially -- I'm just glad to hear, above all else, that the relationship will continue going forward.

Keep up the good work!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #19
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:

-Dave Hamburger
Director of Marketing
www.slpcamaro.com
I appreciate you taking the time to clarify; My opinions on the ZL1 brand have now been confirmed. Without you spilling the beans it's obvious that there's some back door deals going on between SLP and GM in regards to the ZL1 brand. Seems to me there not much of a difference between a GM ZL or an SLP ZL except for marketing hype.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
united1

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to clarify; My opinions on the ZL1 brand have now been confirmed. Without you spilling the beans it's obvious that there's some back door deals going on between SLP and GM in regards to the ZL1 brand. Seems to me there not much of a difference between a GM ZL or an SLP ZL except for marketing hype.
Well , It's like comparing apples to oranges theirs allot of difference between the two. Both are great cars , just slp imo a little more exclusive ( less #)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Actually...and I'm not sure if Dave can/will clarify...the two cars have a LOT different....except for the fact they're both Camaros.

In short, GM doesn't have a "ZL" series...just a ZL1. And it's completely factory.

And SLP's ZLxxx series of cars are awesome in their ability to be what a factory car cannot.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #22
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Actually...and I'm not sure if Dave can/will clarify...the two cars have a LOT different....except for the fact they're both Camaros.

In short, GM doesn't have a "ZL" series...just a ZL1. And it's completely factory.

And SLP's ZLxxx series of cars are awesome in their ability to be what a factory car cannot.
Wish I were a fly on the wall.........
All I know is SLP had a ZL product at the GM booth at the Toronto auto show. Seems strange that two separate competing ZL brands would be sharing the same spotlight.
Surely, something secretive and quite interesting going on here.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
SLP Performance

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The 2011 Camaro ZL1 is a bit different than the 2012 ZL1. Here's the lowdown on the 2011:

Quote:
Includes:

*Redesigned SLP front fascia with heritage-style grille/bowtie emblem and carbon fiber-finish splitter
*ZL1Ū fender and rear decklid badges
*SLP forged light-weight wheels, Michelin Sport PS2 tires, and Brembo GT front and rear brakes
*Rear 1/4 panel gill insert graphics
*SLP TVS 2300 Supercharger in Red with 10 PSI boost
*SLP all carbon fiber hood with functional scoop
*Carbon fiber-finish dashboard trim, steering wheel trim, and center console accents
*KatzkinŪ leather interior trim package (w/cloth Hounds Tooth shown) and ZL1 embroidered headrests
*SLP short-throw shifter with leather-wrapped ZLŪ shift knob
*High-lip rear spoiler with carbon fiber-finish
*SLP carbon fiber-finish rear diffuser with integrated exhaust outlets and polished aluminum tips

2011 ZL1Ū CONTENT MSRP $80,000 plus cost of a new 1SS or 2SS with manual transmission

Performance Upgrades

ENGINE

* SLP custom built 427 CID engine w/aluminum block and heads, 10.3:1 Compression ratio
* SLP High Capacity Dual Core Aluminum Radiator
* SLP 1.85:1 high-ratio rocker arms
* SLP TVS 2300 Supercharger with 10 PSI boost (E.O.#D-488-15)
* SLP BlackwingŪ cold-air induction system
* SLP non-adjustable PCM custom tune w/speed limiter increased to 205+ MPH (est. top speed)
* SLP injection molded engine covers with Carbon Fiber finish, 750HP graphics

EXHAUST SYSTEM

* SLP PowerFloŪ exhaust system
* SLP long-tube headers w/stock cats

TRANSMISSION/CLUTCH

* GM 6-speed manual
* SLP short throw shifter w/ZL shift knob
* ZR-1 clutch assembly w/SLP flywheel

DRIVELINE

* SLP heavy-duty half shafts

WHEELS

* SLP forged light-weight 9″x20″ front wheels 10.5″ x 20″ rear wheels w/ZL1Ū center caps.

TIRES

* Michelin 255/40ZR20 XL Sport PS2 front and 295/35ZR20 XL Sport PS2 rear tires

BRAKES
* Brembo GT front and GT rear brakes with 2 piece 16″ front rotors and 6 piston calipers and 15″ rear rotors and 4 piston calipers

SUSPENSION

* SLP adjustable coil-over springs-shocks and sway bars

Exterior Upgrades

* SLP ZLŪ all carbon fiber hood
* SLP ZLŪ high lip rear spoiler w/carbon fiber finish that matches the hood
* Trunk lid carbon fiber finish that matches the hood
* SLP front fascia with unique grille assembly
* SLP front splitter with carbon fiber finish
* SLP gill insert graphics
* SLP rear diffuser with carbon fiber finish and unique exhaust tips with polished aluminum tips
* ZL1Ū fender and rear deck lid badging (heritage styling)
* Factory bowtie badges front and rear with blue inserts (heritage styling)
* Painted Rear Tail Light Black-Out Panel

INTERIOR UPGRADES

* ZL1Ū sequentially numbered dash plaque and key fobs (1-69)
* ZL1Ū floor mats
* KatzkinŪ leather interior trim package for front and rear seats, center console, and arm rests, available in 7 colors that
compliment all available body colors, plus hounds tooth cloth seat
inserts (heritage), with ZL1 embroidered logo in head rests, and bowtie
on seat backs.

Available Katzin Interior Accent Colors

ASH – MEDIUM RED – ORANGE – PACIFIC – VANILLA – SUNRISE RED – HOUNDS TOOTH (CLOTH)

ACCESSORIES

* Leather Bound Portfolio, Owner’s Manual, Window Sticker, Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin
* ZL1Ū Car Cover
The ZL585 Camaro produces 585 HP and is limited to only 500 units (combined ZL585 and ZL560(automatic)). The ZL585 & ZL560 also have a full 5year/50K Mile warranty.

The info and brochures are here: http://www.slpcamaro.com

-Dave
SLP Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #24
Autobots
Roll out!

Drives: 2010 ss/rs ls3
Wow I did not know that about slp thats awesome!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #25
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
So, SLP... Where did those 5th gen IVER headlight buckets get off to?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #26
united1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
So, SLP... Where did those 5th gen IVER headlight buckets get off to?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #27
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
The 2011 Camaro ZL1 is a bit different than the 2012 ZL1. Here's the lowdown on the 2011:

The ZL585 Camaro produces 585 HP and is limited to only 500 units (combined ZL585 and ZL560(automatic)). The ZL585 & ZL560 also have a full 5year/50K Mile warranty.

The info and brochures are here: http://www.slpcamaro.com

-Dave
The SLP ZL1 looks even better in Red.

Also for those that say there isn't much difference. The SLP ZL1 uses a 427 with 2300 supercharger. Think of it like an LS7 with the supercharger from the LS9 put together to make 750 hp and still be reliable!

If I could afford it I would have an SLP ZL1, instead I will "settle" for a 2012 Zl1. Life is tough sometimes.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #28
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Shelby, Roush, and Saleen all sell their own supercharged versions of the Mustang GT despite the existence of the GT500. I see no reason why the same won't happen with cars like the ZL575 or other similarly modified SS's.

It can very easily happen. Problem is, a brand new 2055 ZL1 would probably cost something like $500,000 just due to inflation.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote