Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #169
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
OMG This FAILTROCITY of a thread is still here.

OK I just want to know when this detune is going down. Lets get that done ASAP!!!! When the engine grenades (which will happen fairly quickly when you detune it) bcuz your son floors it I call DIBS on the video on that camera you installed. The impending accident that WILL HAPPEN that I honestly hope your son walks away from unharmed is definitely going to be a sent in for a 1 hour special on Dumbest Stuff on Wheels!!! Subject of the show: Why irresponsible dumb parents shouldn't buy there irresponsible kids high performance cars.
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #170
Oz ZL-1
Mach 5

Drives: 13 ZL1 IOM #115 87 Grand National
Simple De-Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly27 View Post
A caring family member (dad, mom, friend) that takes a genuine interest in the well being of their son or daughter's driving safety is a win, yes, a big win. I've heard & read that the family unity in todays home is much less and it shows. Most homes have two working parent's and everyone seems to be going their own way, doing their own thing. Today, teenagers are doing some terrible deeds, killing others to gain notoriety or whatever compels them to murder their teachers and fellow students. We allow the selling violent games; they play these games but some of the kids don't know the difference where a game ends & the real world begins (nuts).

My view point is straight forward, to do what it takes to diminish risk and still have plenty of smiles left over. I will take all the steps necessary to lessen the odds... detune, camera, driving training, race track usage. I'm trying to avoid the call that No Parent want's to get, "car crash with injury or death ! " Handing the keys over to a young driver without supervision & proper driver training is fool hearty. I have No guarantee that I won't get a dreaded call but it's not because I didn't try to reduce his overall risk while driving any of my car or trucks. My good (Nick) friend lost his only child two years ago. She was killed in a car accident, just 2 miles from their home. She was in the back with her boy friend and was crushed to death (died at the scene). The driver lived, everyone else died, what a tragedy. My friend is a broken man, now divorced, does not care about anything, he's dead inside.

So, when you make fun of me as being over controlling and all that.. I can take it. I always try to be positive minded. I went out of my way to present several view point's and supporting reason's. I did this for the reader that may have a wild child(s). They may have the problems that most parent's have with their son or daughter... driving too fast, etc. . So, showing a genuine interest in their supervision is not a bad thing, it may save them from injury or death. This includes -- who they're riding with, they may be good drivers but were injured/ killed by a bad driver and not their fault. One may say, won't happen to me... but happens everyday.

Take Care & the Best to You All,

Avery
OK Avery,

I'm late arrival to this interesting thread to say the least - but will offer you up the simplest "de-tune" I can think of...
Ready for it??

Screw a 2 X 4 (or other suitable size wood/metal item) into the floorboard directly under the gas pedal to limit throttle to a top speed that you desire. Problem solved & warranty remains in tact!!
Oz ZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #171
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
You don't want to mess with just the full system. You have a boosted engine. restricting the full will cause the engine to run lean under boost and cause damage. If your really set on doing this, you can get the boost levels reduced, or even have the supercharger set up to always operate in bypass mode. The type of supercharger in the ZL1 has a bypass system with a valve that opens when you are at idle. They are normally vacuum controlled.

I had an aftermarket system on my Subaru. It could be disabled by removing the vacuum line from the contol valve and capping it off. You may be able to do this with the ZL1. This would basically make your car a naturally asperated 6.2L car with low compression. The lower compression will mean that you have less power then a stock SS. I would guess around 380hp at the flywheel. What I don't know is how the ECU will hand the supercharger being disconnected. With mine, the car was putting in full based soly on rpm and metered air. If the ZL1 looks at throttle position to determine the amount of full to inject, it could cause your car to run rich when exceration. Running rich is better than running lean however.

Also, reconnecting the vacuum line is easier than most other options out there, including trying to have it detuned by a shop.

Please look into this before you have anyone mess with your ECU. It's easier to switch back and easier to hide for warranty purposes. Dealers will know if the ECU has been tampered with and can void your drivetrain warranty.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #172
Bolt-onC6

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Have a tuner reduce the maximum throttle rotation position to a value less than 100%
Attached Images

Bolt-onC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #173
Gizz69
Tony

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Blk/Blk
I have a better idea. Buy him a friggin Honda.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #174
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
He could take the "ZL1" badges off. That would shave off 150Hp easy.
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #175
gbosh

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
There was a key switch on a MY corvette that kept the car in mild or wild so anyone driving the car could not use all the horsepower.This corvette had an engine built by Mercury Marine and I think it was around 1995,I'm sure you can find the MY by looking it up. If my memory serves me on this the intake butterfly was kept from opening all the way and limiting the engine output. Just maybe some of this modification could work on the ZL1. Good Luck!
gbosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #176
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
The maggie supercharger had a vacuum operated valve that regulated the boost, which could be simply held open with a plastic wire-tie. Possibly the ZL1 has a similar valve?

I haven't even taken the plastic cover off yet to look around, so I am not sure. If such of a valve exists on the ZL1, then keeping it open prevents any boost - essentially turning off the benefit of the supercharger.
redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #177
HighFly27

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv. & 2002 V-6 Conv.
I know this may seem outlandish but how about a repower with a 6.2 G.M. Diesel. I have a spare 6.2 diesel, HP rating is 165 HP. My target detune HP was 350 HP or so. Many of you said that it's not a good idea to detune this engine, it may be a GM Sin as well... some seem satanic about the ZL1. The ZL1 Eng. would be preserved and reinstalled at a later date. The repowered ZL1 would be a novel idea (diesel power). The fuel mileage would be much better (28.876 MPG est'd.) but the power output would be way (165 HP) down, so it's a trade-off. I think diesel lake (side) pipes would be the best way to go, like the 427 Ford Cobra's in the 60's. I had thought's of repowering (01 Apr.) with a Solar Turbine (320 HP) or Twin Pack's with 640 HP but the installation would be problematic (engineering wise). Now, this (specific) thread is not for the serious reader just intended as fun (so smile) & food for thought for forward/ backward thinkers.

N/A 293 888 2611

Last edited by HighFly27; 04-05-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: mistakes
HighFly27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #178
gbosh

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
The engine that resulted from that Corvette/Lotus collaboration was called the LT5. It was an all-aluminum-block V-8 with the same displacement, 5.7 liters or 350 cu. in., and the same bore centers (4.4 in.) as the normal Corvette's L98 pushrod engine. It had an unusual low-rpm/high-rpm intake tract (fort the time) on top of the engine, with solenoids that closed eight of the 16 intake runners and shut off the fuel injectors anytime the engine operated at less than at full-throttle. At full-throttle, all 16 intake runners and fuel injectors were open for business. A valet key in the instrument panel kept the engine in the low-power mode, making only about 250 hp. The LT5, intended to run at much higher rpm than the pushrod engine, was rated at 375 hp at 6000 rpm. It was among the most potent V-8 engines in the world at the time and just 5 hp shy of the Ferrari Testarossa. By comparison, the normal L98 Corvette engine was rated at only 250 hp at 4400 rpm. In 1989, Chevrolet built a few Corvettes with the LT-5 engine as a test fleet. Once they were satisfied with the engine's performance, drivability and durability, the Corvette team had to find a way to build the engines here in the U.S., instead of Lotus doing the job in England. Mercury Marine, which had by that time built thousands of GM small-block V8s for pleasure boats, was selected to build the LT-5 engine at the Mercury plant in Stillwater, Okla.

Read more: Inside the History of Corvette's ZR1: Slide Show - Popular Mechanics
gbosh is offline   Reply With Quote