Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
1968 Camaro - Going Together

My best friend has a 1968 Chevrolet Camaro he is working on. It was once a straight up track car but he is working it back into a Pro Street type affair that will have an interior, handle decent, full size gas tank, etc.

The biggest hurdle that he wanted to jump first was the engine. Once the car moves under its own power he will take care of everything else. It currently has tubular upper and lower control arms with coilovers and a manual rack and pinion steering setup.

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the car yet. It's been stored in a tent since he received it and I never really got around to shooting pictures of it (I have pics of everything else he ever owned, go figure).

The good news is that it will be here at my house this coming week to put the engine and transmission in since I have concrete and covered work space. I will get pics then!

But here is a teaser shot. We just picked the engine up last night. The machine shop has had it the last two months putting it together as he dropped the parts off. It's a 632 Chevrolet BBC. He will not tell me the details, but I have seen it run and will post a dyno video later. It's good for 690HP on pump gas and will idle at 850 RPM all day long without beating your teeth out. We were going to start work today but he was called to the river for a top end overhaul on a boat.

Still sitting in the bed of my truck this morning. Beside it is a Super T-10 4 speed (I think he said?) that will be going behind it.

SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Vinz68

Drives: 68,69,72&10 Camaro's 12 CTS-V
Gonna be a cool car! Get some pics
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
looks to be a good start. and good luck
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Minor setback.

My friend, as mechanically inclined as he is, forgot to make sure he had a throwout bearing...or flywheel bolts...or bolts to attach the transmission to its bell housing or the bell housing to the engine...and then the rain came down. Anywho, we are looking to try and get going again this weekend
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote