Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-10-2023, 04:08 AM   #1
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
Aliso Bob's 2015 2SS Camaro Journal

Just picked her up yesterday..... a real clean, well kept car. First mod already ordered.... a transmission dipstick! I've read tons of post's here, thank you to all the members who brought me good info.....
AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 04:13 AM   #2
AlisoBob

Here she is......
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2023, 06:46 AM   #3
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
chevy pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:16 AM   #4
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
nice ride! & welcome!!

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:51 AM   #5
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Welcome! I always get excited when new people join the forum and make members journals. I just love watching people build cars. I hope to see lots of future posts!

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:29 AM   #6
AlisoBob

If there are any "Nitro Revival" fans here, they will know me by my other car.... the 1963 Skinner, Crosser and Jobe AA/FD. Aka, The Surfers
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2023, 05:40 PM   #7
AlisoBob

I own several GM pick ups. Both Gas and Diesel. The DIC always lies about MPG. Took the Gen 5 from O/C to S/D and back. 65mph, on the CC with the A/C both ways..... and this is what it says.

Is this fantasy, or inline with what these get on the Highway?
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2023, 06:10 PM   #8
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
If it's relatively unmolested with AFM still running that's not too crazy, I've noticed mine dipped pretty hard after disabling the AFM and getting a tune and has been slowly climbing back up into 20s as I get more mods installed. I also noticed on mine it's fairly accurate if you leave it on long term, if anything the estimates have been more conservative with the fuel range. But yeah it's surprising how not terrible the milage is, my friend's prelude with a 4 banger gets about the same and I like to make fun of him for it sometimes.
Old 10-11-2023, 01:15 AM   #9
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Is this fantasy, or inline with what these get on the Highway?
That's a really low.My lowest is 28 mpg at 50 mph.

Btw.I have tested a couple of times, that the difference in 50 mph,between V4 and V8 mode is only 1.5 mpg.

Last edited by chevy pilot; 10-11-2023 at 01:25 AM.
chevy pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:15 AM   #10
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Wink Hello

CONGRATULATION!!!
Welcome to the Camaro5 forums! If you have any questions feel free to ask, there is allot of knowledge on this web site! They have helped me from time to time!
Old 10-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #11
AlisoBob

OK.... it was "Fluid Day" today.........

I wont bore everyone with the details.... you've all done this before. I'll just tell you what I've done, and the reasons why.

I when I buy a used vehicle... I swap out EVERY fluid,right off the bat to get a idea of the condition of everything, and to set my own baseline for future maintenance.....
I swap the:
Engine oil 1X
Trans oil 2X ( or more depending on condition. )
Rear axle oil 2X
Coolant 1X ( or more depending on condition)
Brake fluid 1X

So,it had the typical "Jiffy Lube" oil and filter on it, when I bought it. I used Mobil 1 0w/40 Euro oil and a Wix XP filter on the serivce. Why? I have a GREAT track record running that oil in ALL my gassers. Testing also shows it's really more like a 0w/35 than a true 40. GM reccomends light oil to make CAFE Efficiency goals, and markets that Dexos approval to generate hundreds of millions of dollars in licensing fee's. Neither benefit the Camaro. I like thicker oil that pass's super tough european testing, and this is it. I have a 2002 GMC Savana Box Van with 469k miles on it.... as proof. Same with the extended Wix XP Filter. I dont need the additional debris capacity. If your making that much metal, the engines junk anyways. But, with the slightly thicker oil, I want more media surface area to flow that oil, without increasing the pressure drop. All filters have restriction, which induces the Delta P, or pressure drop. More filter area, lessens this effect.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2023, 07:03 PM   #12
AlisoBob

I skipped the trans service, as my dipstick has not arrived yet, so we'll move onto the rear axle.

I have a pretty good mechanical ear for things, and this axle just didn't sound right. It was fairly quite on acceleration and deceleration.... but that in between "float" or "coasting"... sounded bad. So I wasn't too shocked when I drained it. Hardly any oil came out, and what did looked terrible. (Car has 55k miles) And just look at the magnets!! Crap. So I filled the whole axle with diesel..... and flushed it out. Then I filled it with Mobil 1 75w/140 and drove it around for 15 minutes, came back and dumped it again, and refilled it again. Is it quieter? I think so, but once you hear something like this, you can't "unhear it". I'l take it over to a buddies house this weekend for a 2nd opinion on the sound of it. I'll service it again in 10k miles, and see how it's doing.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2023, 07:13 PM   #13
AlisoBob

Coolant looked pretty good, but their was some debris in the catch pan on the first drain, so I drove it for awhile and came back and drained it again. This time the pan was clear, so I called it good. I did not know the coolant reservoir had a "spillway" as part of the tank. I sucked it dry, then when I was flushing it, water started pouring out of it so I thought it was cracked or something. Nope, completely normal....... weird.

The brake fluid flush was uneventful. No issues were found.

The "Back Up Camera" was nearly useless..... so I polished out the camera lens....and the images improved dramatically!!!

I also clayed the paint.... you get a good feel for a cars condition when you clay it, because you are so focused on what you are doing. I'm happy to say this thing is a real cream-puff!

It's also cool to link the phone, to the car......
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2023, 07:15 PM   #14
AlisoBob

NEXT UP? Complete tune up, and transmission servicing!!! Stay Tuned!!