Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #43
TannerJPowell

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Loctite doesn't work well if a slight amount of oil is present. Additonally, the clamping force from a given torque is greatly affected by lubricated threads and flanges. If a toque is specified for dry threads, even loctite may result in the same torque value yielding a bolt that isn't supposed to. Repeated doses of carb cleaner or something to cut and remove remaining oil could save a lot down the road. What are the gm overhaul instructions here?

Also, I dont know if the cam bolt is tty? It is a single bolt in a high frequency load location. If i were the engineer, i might select tty here. Are you guys installing a new cam bolt?

The surface finish between the cam gear and cam is important for the torque handling of the system as well. It could be that this surface mates a little under load and won't have the same holding force if reused.

Just some things that might help...
TannerJPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #44
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
I never got why gm veered off the 3 bolt path. Is it lighter, or were they just saving money?
A single bolt cam may or may not be causing failures just because of it being one bolt but I'm certain some of them would not have failed if they were 3 bolt. I'm with you, I just don't get the one bolt thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Local car should have used loctite and a set of arp cam bolts. Bet it wouldn't of happened.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:20 AM   #45
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
The main reason Mobil is the oil used on most failures is because its by far the most used oil. Its only going to have that outcome from that one simple fact. I will continue to use Mobil. I may use a zinc additive though.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 AM   #46
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerJPowell View Post
Loctite doesn't work well if a slight amount of oil is present. Additonally, the clamping force from a given torque is greatly affected by lubricated threads and flanges. If a toque is specified for dry threads, even loctite may result in the same torque value yielding a bolt that isn't supposed to. Repeated doses of carb cleaner or something to cut and remove remaining oil could save a lot down the road. What are the gm overhaul instructions here?

Also, I dont know if the cam bolt is tty? It is a single bolt in a high frequency load location. If i were the engineer, i might select tty here. Are you guys installing a new cam bolt?

The surface finish between the cam gear and cam is important for the torque handling of the system as well. It could be that this surface mates a little under load and won't have the same holding force if reused.

Just some things that might help...
Cool story. But it doesn't apply here.

I've been doing cam swaps the same way and have has "0" issues and will continue to do it this way. I know of many shops that do it this way as well.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #47
TannerJPowell

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Cool story. But it doesn't apply here.

I've been doing cam swaps the same way and have has "0" issues and will continue to do it this way. I know of many shops that do it this way as well.
The same way as?

What is this way you speak of?

A three bolt setup? I would agree with that.

I just see people going die hard for one bolt setups in here and there could be a way to make it work. Also a chance that increased loads from bigger cams can't be supported by the available single bolt clamping force.

Again, just trying to give some useful input for single bolt setups.

Removal of oil is certainly key to loctite working and it's no story. It is fact.

I will find information on whether the single bolt is torque to yield and update.
TannerJPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #48
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerJPowell View Post
The same way as?

What is this way you speak of?

A three bolt setup? I would agree with that.

I just see people going die hard for one bolt setups in here and there could be a way to make it work. Also a chance that increased loads from bigger cams can't be supported by the available single bolt clamping force.

Again, just trying to give some useful input for single bolt setups.

Removal of oil is certainly key to loctite working and it's no story. It is fact.

I will find information on whether the single bolt is torque to yield and update.
From my understanding, the single cam bolt is TTY. But I used a new bolt when that old cam was installed.

In answer to your question from before, I will be using a 3 bolt cam, arp bolts, enough loctite to seal a vault. They won't back out next time.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #49
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
The main reason Mobil is the oil used on most failures is because its by far the most used oil. Its only going to have that outcome from that one simple fact. I will continue to use Mobil. I may use a zinc additive though.
I did think about this too.

We are still using Mobile1 in Bonnies Vette. The people who engineered these cars know what they are doing.

Aftermarket cams, though, are another story so it just make me wonder.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #50
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I did think about this too.

We are still using Mobile1 in Bonnies Vette. The people who engineered these cars know what they are doing.

Aftermarket cams, though, are another story so it just make me wonder.
My dealership that does all my oil changes don't recommend Mobil 1 at all anymore. Much cheaper with dexos blend anyway, so I'm good with it.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #51
BplumCrazy-SS

Drives: 416 w/TH400
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
I've been reading every one of these cam failure threads and I am getting antzy. Some say the new oils without something in it, some have pointed at Comp Cam cores made during a certain period, the 3-bolt thing..........what ever the deal is, we are not seeing LS3 engines last with cams put in them. It seem to be a real crap shoot. I think PQ's went the longest but still barely 50K miles or there about. Most are done by 20K
I have 60k on my car and my buddie has 70+k on his so there are cars that live with cams
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #52
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Lots of possible causes, Did it bend just the intake valves?
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #53
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
My dealership that does all my oil changes don't recommend Mobil 1 at all anymore. Much cheaper with dexos blend anyway, so I'm good with it.
Did they tell you why they feel that way?

Last thing I need is another cam failure on an LS engine. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BplumCrazy-SS View Post
I have 60k on my car and my buddie has 70+k on his so there are cars that live with cams
Gives me an idea.

I'm curious. I'm going to start a thread and ask.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #54
PQ
Booooosted.

Here is a thread for listing personal cam experience info.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...84#post7341984

I'd love to see a good pool of people add thiers to see. Obviously, like was stated earlier in this thread, people who don't have failures may be less likely to add theirs but might be fun to see.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #55
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Lots of possible causes, Did it bend just the intake valves?
Nope, all 16...bent pretty uniformally too.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote