Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
screen and cutout tune question

I will be racing at wannagofast on May 7th. I plan to purchase an intake screen for my turbo and a 3" cutout on the down-pipe to use specifically at the event. My question is - will this affect my tune or put the car at risk of running out of fuel? Logic says no, but I need some real-world advice.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
SeaCompiler

bump - gotta be someone who has done this? I know some of you bums have turbos & cutouts.......
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
Old 03-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
While I don't have turbos, I do have a Whipple with dual 3" cutouts, directly behind the headers. I sometimes get a DTC P0131 when I have them open and just cruising around. I don't ever get any codes when they are open at the track though.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post
I will be racing at wannagofast on May 7th. I plan to purchase an intake screen for my turbo and a 3" cutout on the down-pipe to use specifically at the event. My question is - will this affect my tune or put the car at risk of running out of fuel? Logic says no, but I need some real-world advice.
Not an expert but with a turbo car seems like those are two big things that will affect air flow / back pressure. I would take it to the tuner just to be safe.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
SeaCompiler

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have searched a lot of forum threads, but just have not found anything conclusive. I will call Pat I guess.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:01 AM   #6
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
i didnt need one for a cutout on my downpipe
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
Glushenij

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I got Qtp cutouts on my twin turbo! My tuner tune my car with cutouts close and after he done he run with cutouts open( when it's open his wideband can't read properly) so he monitor with my wideband!- he didn't adjust nothing ( he sad everything looks good)! I run like that for 4-5 months(lil bit open to wide open cutouts) no problem
Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
RealQuick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Yes, you will see an airflow increase.

On back to back 2nd gear hits (pull started around 2500rpm), I saw a 23% increase in airflow @ 5100rpm when I removed the filter and opened the cutouts on my Huron kit. I let out after 5100rpm because the tires broke.

The MAF reading was 1.17g/s @ 5100rpm with filter and cutouts closed
MAF readings was 1.44g/s @ 5100rpm with screen and cutouts open
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
i didnt need one for a cutout on my downpipe
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glushenij View Post
I got Qtp cutouts on my twin turbo! My tuner tune my car with cutouts close and after he done he run with cutouts open( when it's open his wideband can't read properly) so he monitor with my wideband!- he didn't adjust nothing ( he sad everything looks good)! I run like that for 4-5 months(lil bit open to wide open cutouts) no problem
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealQuick View Post
Yes, you will see an airflow increase.

On back to back 2nd gear hits (pull started around 2500rpm), I saw a 23% increase in airflow @ 5100rpm when I removed the filter and opened the cutouts on my Huron kit. I let out after 5100rpm because the tires broke.

The MAF reading was 1.17g/s @ 5100rpm with filter and cutouts closed
MAF readings was 1.44g/s @ 5100rpm with screen and cutouts open
Now, we are getting scientific - hell yes. I am at 1.37 g/s at 5700 and fuel pressure at 58.7 psi at 6 psi(2nd) and 1.2g/s at 6800 and fuel pressure at 57.4 psi (3rd).

So, I would assume if I am pumping in more air with screen and cutouts, I need more fuel - right? If the tune is configured for ~1.37g/s and does not adjust when it is able to pump in more, then that is the risk I think? I don't know how to tell if my tune is configured to adjust or not. I have HP Tuners, but I only know how to find values, not understand how they work.

I would like to understand if possible (because its fun), rather than just get confirmation, which is nice too.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #11
RealQuick

Quote:
Now, we are getting scientific - hell yes. I am at 1.37 g/s at 5700 and fuel pressure at 58.7 psi at 6 psi(2nd) and 1.2g/s at 6800 and fuel pressure at 57.4 psi (3rd).

So, I would assume if I am pumping in more air with screen and cutouts, I need more fuel - right? If the tune is configured for ~1.37g/s and does not adjust when it is able to pump in more, then that is the risk I think? I don't know how to tell if my tune is configured to adjust or not. I have HP Tuners, but I only know how to find values, not understand how they work.

I would like to understand if possible (because its fun), rather than just get confirmation, which is nice too.
I'll try and dig into my logs tonight and post more specific data.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
SeaCompiler

Thanks RealQuick.

If Glushenij and caper tunes auto adjust like a maf tune, then that would explain why they have no worries (until they run out of fuel). I just don't know how to tell the difference between MAF tunes and speed density? It was tuned by Pat G, so if anyone knows how he generally tunes, that is it. I simply can't be calling him non stop to find this stuff out, so I am starting here first. My afr right now is fine and remains a cool 11.4 through the rpm range - so no worries there.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
KTMracing09

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 ABM
Id take it to the tuner regardless, it's better to safe, and you'll maximize the potential of the new setup. I'd imagine it's going to spool a lot faster and a lot harder, and fuel will need to be adjusted.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
RealQuick

Quote:
Thanks RealQuick.

If Glushenij and caper tunes auto adjust like a maf tune, then that would explain why they have no worries (until they run out of fuel). I just don't know how to tell the difference between MAF tunes and speed density? It was tuned by Pat G, so if anyone knows how he generally tunes, that is it. I simply can't be calling him non stop to find this stuff out, so I am starting here first. My afr right now is fine and remains a cool 11.4 through the rpm range - so no worries there.
Send me a pm with your cell# and I can shoot you some pics