Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
RyanMatthewMiller

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS
Confused about gears / differential? This may help

Recently I've been delving into the idea of new gears on my SS M6 until I realized, I really had no idea what gears would be best or how they even really worked. I used the search to pull up a bunch of threads that I sifted through for info for hours and I realized a lot of other people seem to be confused about gear function too!

Anyway I stumbled on this video by accident and although it is a bit archaic, it's actually pretty informative check it out,

Skip to 1:50 though

oh and I think 3.91 gears are what I'll end up going with!
RyanMatthewMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Wow, that is an oldie. Interesting tho. Some things really havent changed.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
JM20

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Wow that was very informative! Thanks for sharing!
JM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Very cool video. Thanks.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I want to go with 3.91 for my SS/M6 also but it's not as easy as it sounds. I've called a couple of car shops and neither of them would do the work. Hell I'm not even sure what I have to buy and I don't know how much work it is to simply change the gears. Is this a $500 labor mod, or $2000? Then someone on here said they have been waiting for 6 months to get into the dealer to recalibrate his speedo. How can I drive my car with an inaccurate speedo without getting a ticket?

From what I've read on C5 the 3.91 gears are the best for the SS and makes a very noticeable difference. Personally I would like to find a place that I can drop off my car and they will install the 3.91 gears that they supply but I haven't found any one that is willing to do it. Rarely do I ever buy parts that something isn't wrong, either the parts or wrong or there was something I didn't order.

It seems like such a simply thing to change out a few gears but it sure isn't turning out that way.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
Very cool.
Even a Neanderthal like me can understand this
Thanks for sharing.
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This thread is now a sticky.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Since this is a sticky now... Might as well ask a few newbie questions to have cleared up. This is the differential obviously, but if you swap to 3.70/3.91/4.11 etc gears... does that mean it changes the actual axle gear as seen in the video? And the 1LE gearing is different, per gear, not just the final drive of 3.91... where are those gears? Thanks!

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
mrlarrys

Drives: 2013 ruby red tincoat HURST 1LT
please realize that changing your gears will throw off the speedometer and might throw off your computer - just a few problems with changing gears on new cars. I changed gears to 4:11 in my 85 IROC and had check engine lights go on and had to get a reducer for the speedo cable and was lucky to have overdrive otherwise my gas millage and top end would have suffered big time.
mrlarrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Very good video.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I want to go with 3.91 for my SS/M6 also but it's not as easy as it sounds. I've called a couple of car shops and neither of them would do the work. Hell I'm not even sure what I have to buy and I don't know how much work it is to simply change the gears. Is this a $500 labor mod, or $2000? Then someone on here said they have been waiting for 6 months to get into the dealer to recalibrate his speedo. How can I drive my car with an inaccurate speedo without getting a ticket?

From what I've read on C5 the 3.91 gears are the best for the SS and makes a very noticeable difference. Personally I would like to find a place that I can drop off my car and they will install the 3.91 gears that they supply but I haven't found any one that is willing to do it. Rarely do I ever buy parts that something isn't wrong, either the parts or wrong or there was something I didn't order.

It seems like such a simply thing to change out a few gears but it sure isn't turning out that way.

Russ
Where are you in Ohio? I live on the Ohio border and we have a local guy who specializes in just this kind of work. I'm sure he would install your gears or get them for you and install them. Recalibrating the speedometer might be tricky though. I'm assuming that the speedometer calibration resides in the PCM and can be updated by any tuner, but any update requires a re-flash, which will void your powertrain warranty, if you still have one. Getting a dealer to do it might be tricky also. I'm not sure that they have access to individual parameters in the PCM. I drive a 2013, 4.8, Chevy company van, with a very annoying 75 mph speed limiter on it. My tuner told me that he could disable it in a matter of minutes, free of charge. I called the service manager at my dealership before I let him do it and he told me that if we did it, the powertrain warranty would be voided and there would be nothing he could do about it. He told me that the only way to disable it and keep the warranty was to find a VIN# for a van that was identical to mine in every way except without the speed limiter and then load my PCM with that van's calibration. He said that that would be the only way to keep all GM calibration numbers in the computer and get rid of the limiter. If anybody here has changed their gears, got their speedometer re-calibrated and kept their powertrain warranty, maybe they can chime in on how they did it.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
Since this is a sticky now... Might as well ask a few newbie questions to have cleared up. This is the differential obviously, but if you swap to 3.70/3.91/4.11 etc gears... does that mean it changes the actual axle gear as seen in the video? And the 1LE gearing is different, per gear, not just the final drive of 3.91... where are those gears? Thanks!
When you swap gears, you change the ring(which is the large gear that showed up near the end of the video) and the pinion(which is the small gear that drives the ring gear and is attached to the drive shaft) All the other gears that are different in the 1LE are in the transmission. If you study what the engineers did on the 1LE, they put 3.91's in the rear and then took almost exactly the same amount out of every gear except 4th.
The net effect is that the 1LE is geared almost exactly like a standard SS except when it is in 4th. I'm assuming that they did this to make 4th more useful in road racing without having to re-certify the package. It also explains why the 1LE's feel exactly like the standard SS when accelerating and are not significantly faster in a straight line.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
34coupe

Drives: 2010 RS/SS 1934 Ford Coupe
I just installed my 3.91s this past Saturday. Getting the unit out the car was simple, but once I tore into it I got a little nervous. Had a friend who has done a lot traditional style rear ends stop by and give me a hand. The only tricky/hard part was setting the crush sleeve correctly, took a 4ft breaker bar to set it to the gm specs (18-27ft lbs rotational). After that, slid the ring assembly back in, put the factory shims back in, and torq everything down. then checked the back lash, gm rec .002-.005...mine was .006 so I left it. Right now I am 175 miles into the break in, and everything sounds perfect!!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
34coupe

Drives: 2010 RS/SS 1934 Ford Coupe
Forgot.. I have a HP tune in the car and the tuner stopped over when I finished. Plugged his lab top in and took 5 mins to go in and change the final drive so my speedo was correct!!