Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
DMan918

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible 6MT
Quietest differential bushings (not oem)

Hi all,

I currently have a set of differential bushings installed in my car and I’m getting a bit of noise. We suspect they are the cause. Haven’t removed yet but they’re red so I’m assuming they may be bmr pros. Either way, I am reading I can’t install oem bushings back in? Is that true even for a professional shop? If so, is the bmr street the closest to stock or is there a bushing that would be even quieter?

Thanks!
DMan918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Check it:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578611
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #3
DMan918

Thank you! I’ll check out the thread!

Sounds like Lingenfelter bushings may be quietest? Whiteline up there as well? Any more thoughts?

Last edited by DMan918; 09-18-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:25 AM   #4
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Does it clunk when you go into gear? Loose bolt... The differential will twist under load and the clunk is the bolt hitting the top of the slotted hole.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
DMan918

Thanks,

No I have a really bad howl from 40mph on up. This is while cruising (very light pedal engagement to keep speed).
Old 09-20-2020, 02:48 AM   #6
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan918 View Post
Thanks,

No I have a really bad howl from 40mph on up. This is while cruising (very light pedal engagement to keep speed).
post a sounclip/vid, worth a million words!

can you make it howl at will! light acceleration or wot?
so far it sounds like a clutch(s) are slipping in the diff,?does it do it with traction control off? try some spray lube on the bushings(don’t know what goes with poly....armor all?) lol, m6 or auto?
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
DMan918

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
post a sounclip/vid, worth a million words!

can you make it howl at will! light acceleration or wot?
so far it sounds like a clutch(s) are slipping in the diff,?does it do it with traction control off? try some spray lube on the bushings(don’t know what goes with poly....armor all?) lol, m6 or auto?
I’ll see if I can get a video to capture. I can make the noise at will. Only at light acceleration. This all started after a 4.11 gear install. Pattern is set great and backlash at 9/1000s. My installer was very adamant that install isn’t an issue but it is gear whine of sorts. I have a m6.

To mention, I know some people would want to come in and say install issue but I feel very confident in this shop and the work done so I really don’t think it’s related to gear setup.

I’ll try to get a video today. Thanks for all your help!

On edit:

Here was something I did question though. Note the movement of the right axel. Is that acceptable or is it not fully seated with the lock ring? No leaks.

https://youtu.be/Pb2iHglDQUM

Last edited by DMan918; 09-20-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #8
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Mentioning the 4.11's to begin with would've been kinda important. You will always get whine with aftermarket stuff. As you mentioned before...gears plus aftermarket bushings....its gonna be noisy. My stock set whines with the BMR diff bushes.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
DMan918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Mentioning the 4.11's to begin with would've been kinda important. You will always get whine with aftermarket stuff. As you mentioned before...gears plus aftermarket bushings....its gonna be noisy. My stock set whines with the BMR diff bushes.
Sorry about that. This turned into a diagnostic thread, which I appreciate. Goes to why I want to put stock-like bushings back in. Sounds like that would be the lingenfelter? White line is still poly so would likely make some noise?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #10
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
I’ll see if I can get a video to capture. I can make the noise at will. Only at light acceleration. This all started after a 4.11 gear install. Pattern is set great and backlash at 9/1000s. My installer was very adamant that install isn’t an issue but it is gear whine of sorts. I have a m6.

To mention, I know some people would want to come in and say install issue but I feel very confident in this shop and the work done so I really don’t think it’s related to gear setup.

I’ll try to get a video today. Thanks for all your help!

On edit:

Here was something I did question though. Note the movement of the right axel. Is that acceptable or is it not fully seated with the lock ring? No leaks.

https://youtu.be/Pb2iHglDQUM

how many miles are on the gears since install? recheck ur pattern and diff oil if ur over 1000, if your still in the barely driven stage take it for a good cruise and see if ur diff temp climbs....might just need some breakin in but 99% of the time if a noise appears after mechanical work the noise and work are related. what oil are u using?
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
DMan918

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
how many miles are on the gears since install? recheck ur pattern and diff oil if ur over 1000, if your still in the barely driven stage take it for a good cruise and see if ur diff temp climbs....might just need some breakin in but 99% of the time if a noise appears after mechanical work the noise and work are related. what oil are u using?
I’m at 450 miles. Using royal purple.

Here’s a link trying to show the whine: https://youtu.be/T2fJZraTkOc

We’re pretty certain it’s because we installed 4.11s and now the poly bushings are causing all kinds of noise. What may be a minor whine is just escalated into aloud one because of the bushings. The lingenfelter bushings are in order so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Last edited by DMan918; 09-24-2020 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Hi all,

I currently have a set of differential bushings installed in my car and I’m getting a bit of noise. We suspect they are the cause. Haven’t removed yet but they’re red so I’m assuming they may be bmr pros. Either way, I am reading I can’t install oem bushings back in? Is that true even for a professional shop? If so, is the bmr street the closest to stock or is there a bushing that would be even quieter?

Thanks!
When anyone replaces the Soft Rubber Diff Bushings ( which absorb NVH) with another Bushing that is much Harder you will get Noise. The Bushing is not causing the Noise & Vibration, it just can not absorb and transmits it through the car
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #13
DMan918

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
When anyone replaces the Soft Rubber Diff Bushings ( which absorb NVH) with another Bushing that is much Harder you will get Noise. The Bushing is not causing the Noise & Vibration, it just can not absorb and transmits it through the car
Yep exactly. The bushings are doing what they are supposed to. I just prefer quiet at the expense of some diff movement.