Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #169
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
sounds like your's was acting the same as mine in the mornings,i had no jerking going on this morning like i have had since day one,
fingers crossed it wasn't a fluke but I don't think so... it was super smooth... not a glitch...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #170
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
I was going to another site that I gave up on about two weeks ago where the topics were locking gas caps and wheel locks. I found this site by accident. Lucky for me. After I read about the trouble doing burn outs, I took my 1SS A6 with 1600 miles on it and tried it. To my dismay, it couldn't break the rear tires loose with the traction control off. Last night I removed fuses 5 and 20 for about 14 hours. This morning on the way to work, I tried another burnout with the traction control off and only stopped smokin' em when I backed off. The car seems to idle smoother too, just like the other posters have said and like mlee said, the jerkiness on starting to move also has gone away. Thank you for the info. The other site can keep up their gas cap discussions without me.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #171
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

I pretty much knew I was on the right octane table, but had to do it anyway. Just to make sure PQ's car didn't end up faster than mine...

Sooooo last night was the night I pulled the fuses. I didn't really put 2 and 2 together until I read your post. From day one my car had a doggy cold start loading up and such. I just wrote that off to a cold car.

I took off this morning smoooooth as ever. Was expecting a jerk or two and it didn't happen.
My LS3 is doing the same thing. I just noticed the last couple of days. Like you, I chalked it up to cold engine but got to thinking, wait a minute. This is a brand new car. It should not get a "jerk or two" on the morning drive to work. It only happens the first few minutes of driving then seems to be OK. Thought I was going crazy. Maybe I should try the fuse pull too. Can't hurt, right?...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #172
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
I was going to another site that I gave up on about two weeks ago where the topics were locking gas caps and wheel locks. I found this site by accident. Lucky for me. After I read about the trouble doing burn outs, I took my 1SS A6 with 1600 miles on it and tried it. To my dismay, it couldn't break the rear tires loose with the traction control off. Last night I removed fuses 5 and 20 for about 14 hours. This morning on the way to work, I tried another burnout with the traction control off and only stopped smokin' em when I backed off. The car seems to idle smoother too, just like the other posters have said and like mlee said, the jerkiness on starting to move also has gone away. Thank you for the info. The other site can keep up their gas cap discussions without me.
Great news, and welcome!

This thread really should be nominated for Tread of the Year.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #173
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
WOW! ...my bad dude,

If that was for me, hope you know it was a total joke. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Quote:

Stick around. You'll really enjoy it here.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #174
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Great news, and welcome!

This thread really should be nominated for Tread of the Year.

And nice pun. I was just thinking last night that I now need to watch my tires closely.

(Oh, and, no word yet :()
Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #175
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

And nice pun. I was just thinking last night that I now need to watch my tires closely.

(Oh, and, no word yet :()
Haha, I know it... Tire sales are going to surge

(Oh and thanks... just waiting patiently )
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #176
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Welcome!

Glad to have you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warr3nc View Post
Hey guys, I've been trolling for years just reading and learning. But considering I was a GM tech for 7 years I thought I could give a little insight as to how they work on these kind of problems. When a problem like this comes up they get enough calls about problems they'll get test vehicles like Scotts. They'll do their research and for whatever reason they issue what they call an internal PI. The only way the tech's at the dealers find out is to call TAC, which a lot of techs don't do or really despise it. Anyway what you get when TAC gets involved you have seen now. I'm more than willing to bet in the not too distant future GM will issue a public bulletin or PI for the dealer techs stating that for a quick fix (customer satisfaction) to pull the fuses as you've seen. Then follow in the bulletin that engineering is researching the cause and a permanent fix will be reissued in an updated bulletin. IMO that fix will be a PCM update that will probably be issued as a recall like the E85 updates in the Tahoes and Suburbans. Sorry for the length I just wanted to try to help see how GM works (oddly sometimes). But a permanent fix and cause will be issued and found.
Very cool thanks for the insight!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #177
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
My LS3 is doing the same thing. I just noticed the last couple of days. Like you, I chalked it up to cold engine but got to thinking, wait a minute. This is a brand new car. It should not get a "jerk or two" on the morning drive to work. It only happens the first few minutes of driving then seems to be OK. Thought I was going crazy. Maybe I should try the fuse pull too. Can't hurt, right?...
Do it for sure...and report back results... I think you will be pleasantly suprised...
I had sort of gotten used to feathering the gas on take off so it's still kind of weird now that it takes off smooooooooth....
Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #178
Keith Kinkaid
"So you're my guardian?"

Drives: Bumblebee/2 SS RS
When I picked up my car from the dealer I specifically asked what grade of fuel does this car require, the "service manager" replied you can put 87 octane in it you don't need 93 octane. I of course said ok and didn't really think too much of it. Funny thing is I thought the car was fast like it is now but in the back of my mind I felt like the car was a little bit sluggish on take offs and it idles up really high on start up and eventually goes down but it sounds really good and loud because I removed the mufflers and resonator and just went with straight pipes. My car isn't an everyday driver and it only has like 590 miles on it so I just chalked it up as being still in the "break in" phase. Since reading this thread yesterday I started thinking and I went home and pulled it out to actually feel the car and I am convienced that it should be driving a lot better than it is. So I drove around for about 3 hrs attempting to burn out 3/4 tank of gas and only managed to get it to 1/4 tank (when you want to burn gas it's hard as hell to do) . So today when I get off I will be pulling it out of the garage again and burning out that last 1/4 tank and filling it up with 93 octane and pulling the fuses out. I sure hope I get the same results as everyone else on here that has tried this solution !

"Can You Talk"..."So You Talk Through The Radio"
Keith Kinkaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #179
Nobama

Drives: 2010 Silver 2SS Camaro
Changed the fuses out overnight and noticed a big jump in mpg. From around 12 mpg to 19.1 mpg. Have been using high octane fuel since I got it but was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to who has the best high octane?
Nobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #180
Bewenched

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Bewenched Send a message via MSN to Bewenched
This is SUCH good info. My dealer did tell me they filled it up with regular gas and even apologized for it... saying it was all they keep at the lot. So once that was gone, I filled up with premium like I always do with my cars.

I was wondering why I was getting such poor gas mileage with 93 octane.... I wouldnt say the performance was poor, but did wonder why it wasnt as good as I thought it should be.... blamed the L99 engine and figured a cold air intake and exhaust would fix it's wagon.

Just pulled my fuses at 11:29 AM and will put them back in later today.

Thanks to whomever posted that picture of the fuse box.... that helped alot.
================================================== ===
Results: IT WORKED.
I'd never been able to squeel the tires in standard automatic mode ... and I squeeled 1st and chriped 2nd!

I'm even more happy with my car and didnt think that could be possible.

Funny thing is ... I got a call from Hypertech this afternoon and they are wanting me to beta test their programmer for the L99 Automatics and are overnighting me one .... I'll report my findings on that later.

Last edited by Bewenched; 08-27-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Bewenched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #181
FunkyELF

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Did my ECM get reset?

How do I know if mine got reset. I pulled #5 and #20 and let it sit overnight. Then in the morning I put them back in and to my surprise my average fuel economy was still set. I would expect to to be back at 0.

Whats the deal?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #182
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewenched View Post
This is SUCH good info. My dealer did tell me they filled it up with regular gas and even apologized for it... saying it was all they keep at the lot. So once that was gone, I filled up with premium like I always do with my cars.

I was wondering why I was getting such poor gas mileage with 93 octane.... I wouldnt say the performance was poor, but did wonder why it wasnt as good as I thought it should be.... blamed the L99 engine and figured a cold air intake and exhaust would fix it's wagon.

Just pulled my fuses and will put them back in later today.

Thanks to whomever posted that picture of the fuse box.... that helped alot.
You will notice a difference. Especially if you did any timed runs. It seems the L99s are more noticeable as far as acceleration goes then the LS3s. But like I said before, mine was allways 'strong' just not 'fast'.