Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-09-2021, 02:43 AM   #1
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
'17 Hyundai Elantra weird cold start only when cold out

Wifes '17 Elantra (2.0 N/A engine) started having this issue about a month ago. If her car is parked outside at night (she's a 3rd shift nurse) and its cold out (mid 40s and below)when she goes to start it up in the morning it has a loud "noise" coming from it. I finally got it to do it for me tonight and its almost like an exhaust leak...but not. almost like an exhaust amplifier.

The idle is higher than normal at first (normal on a cold start) and settles down within maybe 30 secs. For this issue, the noise makes it sound like I installed a "tuner exhaust" but coming from the engine bay, not the back. the noise is there till the idle goes back to normal. When it's warmed up (2-3 mins maybe) the noise goes away.

The kicker is if its parked in the *enclosed* garage at home and it even gets down to the 30s at night, it won't do it in the mornings. Its only when its parked outside, unprotected. I had the dealer do an oil change and check the codes (engine and body) and nothing was there. I also changed out the plugs and filters since they were due anyway. ** normally I do all that but she had a free oil change. And then they wanted to changed me $175 to install an air filter and cabin filter and $300 for plugs.

Any ideas where else I can look? My next chance I'm going to leave the car parked outside and in the morning pop the hood and start it to see if I can get a better idea where the noise is coming from.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Personally, if it goes away and runs fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

My '17 V-6 Impala sounds like a sick calf for about a minute on colder mornings, but smooths out relatively quickly. What it goes through on start up, I have no idea. I thought about having it checked out when it was new, but never did. It's been behaving the same for three years now and runs just fine.

Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Perhaps the exhaust manifold or the connection to the exhaust is just a little loose. When cold, it shrinks enough to leak. As it warms up, the metal expands and reseals the leak.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Perhaps the exhaust manifold or the connection to the exhaust is just a little loose. When cold, it shrinks enough to leak. As it warms up, the metal expands and reseals the leak.

Just because of the exhaust noise, this is what im thinking.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Personally, if it goes away and runs fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

My '17 V-6 Impala sounds like a sick calf for about a minute on colder mornings, but smooths out relatively quickly. What it goes through on start up, I have no idea. I thought about having it checked out when it was new, but never did. It's been behaving the same for three years now and runs just fine.

Good luck.

Agreed. Thats what we have been doing now. Just odd is started a month ago but she's been parking outside for years.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #6
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
di motor? they sound like that when they're cold.