Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
So I just might be a Camaro guy??

Ok, bear with me here. This is more me just thinking out loud and I apologize for taking up space, but it's a bit cathartic to just put it out there. I had a 2014 ZL1 for two years. Then the opportunity came up for me to get one of my dream cars, a 2009 Corvette ZR1, which I drive now. Amazing car! Freakin insane fast, gorgeous, in the color I want (red) with the wheels I want (black), a rare combo for a 2009. The guy I bought it from was a freak about keeping it perfect and it literally is a perfect car.....as if it just rolled off the showroom (it has 19000 miles on it). Had it now for about 4 months. I should be content right? So why oh why do I keep looking for Z/28s??? I wanted one when they came out, but just couldn't justify the price. Now they're down in the $50s and I continually go online to see if there are any near me..... It obviously has nothing to do with straight line speed. I was never about that and I know the Z/28 is not about that. I just think I'm a muscle car guy, and in particular a Camaro guy. Loved the ZL1, but if I pull the trigger it will be a Z/28. There is just something so badass about the car you guys drive that even an awesome car like a ZR1 cannot match, at least in my eyes. I don't know, I'm going back and forth. Again, I just wanted to throw it out there for no particular reason. You all have an amazing car. If I join the club I'll let you know.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Good luck, think you will like it a lot.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Well, I see that your location is: United States. Which means you have no excuse not to own one already!

Sounds like you have already made up your mind, sell the ZR1 and get the car that tugs at your visceral emotions. The Z/28 does it all, and asks for more. Everything about the car screams business, pop the hood, dry sump LS7. Sit in the glove like Recaro seats and admire the Spartan interior (haters be damned). Turn the key and hear the LS7 roar to life with its slight lope and start up cackle. It demands your full attention on the road as the steam roller front wheels try to read every dip and bump in the road. Stomp on the CCBs and peel your passengers off the dash. Don't forget the stiff racecar suspension, it is there for your abuse too. Once you have parked the beast, look back admiring the aggressive aero bits wondering how you could be so lucky to own such an amazing machine.
!?!Have you bought one yet?!?
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Well said ZSlash. Well said.

Funny you bring this up about the ZR1. Yesterday my Dad and I took his '11 ZR1 to Carlisle for the Vette show. Before we left, he said, "wanna drive home?". Of course I did! I managed to get on it a few times and the power is friggin nuts for a bone stock factory car. I had an 850 horsepower Shelby GT500 and the ZR1 is just as fast, if not faster. I told him his car feels pissed off at the world. I loved it. Being black, the car just looks and feels evil. But strangely enough, it didn't feel as special as the Z/28. Yes, in a straight line it would blow a Z/28 in the weeds. But when I got home and looked at my Z/28 in my garage, I knew I had the car I wanted.

EDIT: I want to change that about beating a Z/28 on any track. What's amazing about the Z/28 is that it's down 130 horsepower to the ZR1 and would definitely give the ZR1 something to think about on ANY track.

When I bought my Z/28, they had some new C7's and a couple new Z06's, a few older Z06's and regular C6's. My feeling was the Z/28 buried all the Corvette's looks-wise. Even my Dad as a die-hard Corvette guy agreed. As soon as he saw it, he said, "My God that car is freaken gorgeous! You have to buy it". I've owned Corvettes, Shelby's and Vipers and none of them felt like a dream car that the Z/28 does.

If you decide to sell your ZR1 and buy a Z/28, I promise you, you will NOT regret it.

Last edited by Crushinator; 08-29-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Crushinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
shadowhunter66

Drives: 2017 Buick Enclave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
Well, I see that your location is: United States. Which means you have no excuse not to own one already!

Sounds like you have already made up your mind, sell the ZR1 and get the car that tugs at your visceral emotions. The Z/28 does it all, and asks for more. Everything about the car screams business, pop the hood, dry sump LS7. Sit in the glove like Recaro seats and admire the Spartan interior (haters be damned). Turn the key and hear the LS7 roar to life with its slight lope and start up cackle. It demands your full attention on the road as the steam roller front wheels try to read every dip and bump in the road. Stomp on the CCBs and peel your passengers off the dash. Don't forget the stiff racecar suspension, it is there for your abuse too. Once you have parked the beast, look back admiring the aggressive aero bits wondering how you could be so lucky to own such an amazing machine.
!?!Have you bought one yet?!?
Damn it! This only makes me want one even more!!! I've been suppressing my wants for the Z/28 recently too.. man oh man. OP, Good luck with your decision and either way, you'll have an amazing car to enjoy!
shadowhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
I look at our cars as new "old school". Visceral.
If you drive it, you will buy it.

Ahhh, such a great time for all gear heads...regardless of make/model!
Old 08-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Vega$69

Drives: 2017 Corvette ZO6 & 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhunter66 View Post
Damn it! This only makes me want one even more!!! I've been suppressing my wants for the Z/28 recently too.. man oh man. OP, Good luck with your decision and either way, you'll have an amazing car to enjoy!
I have had Vettes, C5 Coupe built LS with a Blower, C5 ZO6, C6 ZO6, C7 Z51 Supercharged by Lingenfelter, 69 Camaro Protours Cars with 525 HP LS3 and 620 HP LS7 that I built.

In 69 I bought a new Z28 when I graduated High School. Sold it in 75 when the gas skyrocketed.

For over 45 years I've been looking for a car that gives me that 19 again feeling.

My 2015 Z28 fills the bill. All the others are frankly boring in comparision ewxcept the 69 Protour cars
Vega$69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I have had Vettes, C5 Coupe built LS with a Blower, C5 ZO6, C6 ZO6, C7 Z51 Supercharged by Lingenfelter, 69 Camaro Protours Cars with 525 HP LS3 and 620 HP LS7 that I built.

In 69 I bought a new Z28 when I graduated High School. Sold it in 75 when the gas skyrocketed.

For over 45 years I've been looking for a car that gives me that 19 again feeling.

My 2015 Z28 fills the bill. All the others are frankly boring in comparision ewxcept the 69 Protour cars
Well that certainly says a lot. I've got some thinking to do. The ZR1 is awesome. I wish I had the means to have both, but having a daughter turning 16 is forcing me to get cars for someone other than myself. What strikes me is how much folks feel connected to the Z/28. There seems to be an "it" factor that defines this as truly a special car. Maybe it's the N/A LS7, or maybe it's the carbon ceramic brakes, or the extremely rare suspension......it's probably a combo of all three..... I think the ZR1 has a similar effect on people, and is about as rare as the Z/28 I think (off the top of my head there were about 4600 ZR1s built, but not sure how many Z/28s)? But again, I think I'm more of a muscle car guy, even though the Z/28 blurs the lines between muscle car and sports car/track car. Great inputs by all.....this is going to be a tough choice.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sell me the zr1
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #10
markstoys

Drives: 2015 Z28 #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
If you drive it, you will buy it.
This really sums it up. EVERYONE who has actually driven a Z/28 will agree that it is an awesome car. It is not perfect, but for pure driving experience it cannot be beat.

Mark
markstoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
MRBZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28
for 2014 I believe the total built was around 440
for 2015 I believe the total built was around 1250
so not many Z/28's out there
MRBZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #12
All2Easy

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #997 Gone 2019 SS 1LE
Good luck in whatever you decide to do. The Z/28 is truly special. I cannot even fathom the thought of ever letting mine go.
All2Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
serviceguy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 # 89, 69 Camaro, 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
Well said ZSlash. Well said.

Funny you bring this up about the ZR1. Yesterday my Dad and I took his '11 ZR1 to Carlisle for the Vette show. Before we left, he said, "wanna drive home?". Of course I did! I managed to get on it a few times and the power is friggin nuts for a bone stock factory car. I had an 850 horsepower Shelby GT500 and the ZR1 is just as fast, if not faster. I told him his car feels pissed off at the world. I loved it. Being black, the car just looks and feels evil. But strangely enough, it didn't feel as special as the Z/28. Yes, in a straight line it would blow a Z/28 in the weeds. But when I got home and looked at my Z/28 in my garage, I knew I had the car I wanted.

EDIT: I want to change that about beating a Z/28 on any track. What's amazing about the Z/28 is that it's down 130 horsepower to the ZR1 and would definitely give the ZR1 something to think about on ANY track.

When I bought my Z/28, they had some new C7's and a couple new Z06's, a few older Z06's and regular C6's. My feeling was the Z/28 buried all the Corvette's looks-wise. Even my Dad as a die-hard Corvette guy agreed. As soon as he saw it, he said, "My God that car is freaken gorgeous! You have to buy it". I've owned Corvettes, Shelby's and Vipers and none of them felt like a dream car that the Z/28 does.

If you decide to sell your ZR1 and buy a Z/28, I promise you, you will NOT regret it.

serviceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #14
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhunter66 View Post
It lives up to every bit of the hype! I recently went to look at a couple of GT350s. Just wanted to check em out in person. Didn't stir me at all. Walked back out to my Z and felt so appreciative of what I have. I was blown away all over again and I've had it for 8 months!