Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #29
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I've always been a GM guy for one but something about having to spin a V8 over 4000 rpms to make any power or torque doesn't sit well with me. 95% of driving is stop light to stop light and the LT1 has torque and power all over the place.

I actually like the way the Mustang looks I just would never want a car that I had to "beat on" to feel any power. They are basically neck and neck in acceleration so that is a non factor.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #30
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Hard to see out of, looked like a Fusion, just the overall generic low-rent market slot the Mustang fits into really puts me off.

Even though the Gen6 body didn't change much in overall shape, they did a good job of designing a look that's all it's own.

Oh wnd nothing about the Mach E appeals to me at all. Huge step backwards for the brand.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #31
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Having had several mustangs in the past, I’m not biased by the brand. What I am, perhaps a tad, biased against OHC motors. I’ve owned them in a lot of cars. Some are very simple, others not so much. Ford’s history with complexity & failure was a slight deterrent.

The main reasons I didn’t get a GT rather than my SS was, I think, the exterior of the Camaro looks better. The info center on the Mustang looks industrial to me. Too much like my work trucks, the gauge cluster is just uninspired to me.

When deciding to make the step up to a ZL1 I considered both the GT350 & GT500. The 350 doesn’t offer enough, the GT500 was just right, power wise, but way to expensive.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #32
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Oh forgot to add that every single person who wanted a "fast" car here bought a Mustang so I see them at every red light basically.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #33
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I've gone back and forth between Mustang and Camaro way back since '88.

'88 Mustang GT -> 2000 Camaro SS -> '04 Terminator -> '17 SS 1LE

Some generations the Mustang gets the upper hand, sometimes it's the Camaro.

I was shopping for a 2016 GT350R when they 1st dropped, but when you added dealer markup, I was paying $85-90k for a Mustang. It made the SS 1LE the REALLY easy choice.

In my 4 years with my 1LE, it has exceeded all my expectations. It's a comfortable daily, it is an absolute blast at AutoX and Track Days. It's got way underrated utility. I can load ALL of my AutoX/Track gear into the trunk...10' pop-up, 2 chairs, tool box, helmet, HANS, etc.

While I was convinced my next move was from the 1LE to a C8Z, I'm really considering an A10 ZLE. I love the platform that much. It handles like a big, fat Miata. Forgiving in all situations...do something stupid and she squeals a bit, steps out slightly, wags her finger at me and says don't do that again.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #34
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have a bowtie on my back so im kind of stuck thank god i didnt get a pontiac or saturn tattoo haha
Good for you! We all owe a debt to Pontiac for factory performance cars. So I wouldn’t be ashamed with that tat. I have had two Grand Prix’s.
I have thought of something along that lines, my nephew is one hella good tattoo artist.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #35
MATEOLT1SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 10-speed
Reliability for me. I work for Ford so I see a lot. That and some of the Mustang guys are very cocky
MATEOLT1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #36
MATEOLT1SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 10-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Yeah but once again, Ford has decided to hobble this new Mach1 with just a manual trans option. Chevy FINALLY got their act together on the 1LE and for 2021 you can get an A10 now. That should have been the case since 2017. But one could argue now that a 1SS 1LE with the A10 could be the perfect muscle/pony car. This has me thinking. Aside from the horrible Recaro seats, thats an awesome package with the A10 now.
The Mach will have an A10 option from what I've heard
MATEOLT1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #37
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
I have to defend the mustang MT82 here like I defended the camaro over there with the "visibility" reason for not buying.

There are MAYBE a handful of bad trans's from 2011 that started this feeling. But the real deal is way more bad drivers. People not understanding how to properly shift and drive a manual V8 muscle car. I had (2) 2011 GTs, a 2012 GT and a 2014 GT all with the MT82. Never had one issue with the almost 100k miles spread across all those cars I owned. Those trans's are not gods gift to racing, but I've had my share of shit trans's with other cars as well. A nice shifter and some solid trans mounts completely fixes any lock out problem you could have.

Now Im sure there are bad MT82s out there, but I can almost guaranty they are caused by bad drivers.

Just as "visibility" might be an issue in the camaro if you are 4'11" or 6'8". But for the majority of normal sized adults, you can see out fine. Not about getting that large coke from McDonalds through the window at the drive threw...
I had a 2011 GT with the MT82, and the trans was the one thing that wasn't a problem. In all fairness, the car had 100k miles and had been autocrossed most of its life. So it had a hard life.

The engine had the bottom end tick/knock that the early coyotes suffered from when I'd get done with a run, and the diff wasn't happy and would light up the inside tire on course. Both probably wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't racing it, but that's what I do with cars.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #38
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Cool

Short answer. We did. 2017. Also had a 2016 SS, liked it better. Sold both and bought the 2019SS and 2020 C8.

Quote:
***Disclaimer***
I posted this exact topic at the mustang6g forum, but as "Why DIDN'T you buy a Camaro?" in order to see why those shopping both decided on the Mustang GT over say a 2SS Camaro A10. They have been respectful, and know this thread has been posted here. Follow the link to see this thread on their forum.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...camaro.152389/

As for this thread here, what lead you to buy the Camaro over the mustang? Im basically torn. And I flip flop daily as to which one I want. The Mustang GT seems like its updates since 2018 have taken it into the same class as the Camaro 2SS in just about all categories. If I was looking at a 2017 or older Mustang GT, I would pick the Camaro 10/10 times. But now that you can get active exhaust (which sounds amazing), mag ride, the A10 and that sick digital dash, the mustang looks like a bargin also considering they are generally cheaper with rebates and incentives.

So if you shopped the Mustang GT vs your Camaro, why did you take the camaro in the end. As I said on the thread at the mustang6G site, please no flame wars. Dont go over there and start trolling or starting anything.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #39
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintslinger16 View Post
I just don’t get the lack a brand loyalty, I would never even consider a Ford. Don’t even like having to type the word in a forum.
If your a Chevy guy or a Mopar girl, that’s it, no crossing.
Sorry, but I have to throw in with ScatPack on the matter of brand loyalty.

When it comes to cars, my loyalty is strictly to myself. Money matters aside, if I was shopping for a ponycar today it might well be a toss-up between a lightly optioned version of the upcoming Mach 1 and a 1SS/1LE.

On edit, I guess I'll never know which way I'd have gone back in 2008 if the Camaro had been in production at the time.

Norm
Old 12-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #40
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I've owned a few Mustangs and enjoyed all of them. TBH the Camaro was never on my radar until I drove my Dad's 2019. It just felt right driving it. Something about the way I sit in it, and how it turns. The alpha chassis is world-class, which is a huge plus for me as I'm big into autox. The Camaro seems to be focused more on track driving, and the Mustang is centered around street driving. I'm super happy that they both exist, and really you're splitting hairs as to which one is better. There aren't many cars that compete with these two in price/performance/comfort, no matter which variant you get.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #41
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Had an 18 5.0 A10 with a few mods. Ended up getting out of it due do several engine issues. Liked alot of things about my Mustang BUT if I were going to list why im in the SS now, it would be:

1) Much better handling/chassis composure. Turning the steering wheel is enjoyable and communicative in the Camaro but the Mustang is numb and isolated.
2) Overall ergonomics I believe are better. Positioning of pedals and their spacing. Dash is a closer reach.
3) I have to admit that even though the coyote is awesome, the day in/day out low rpm torque of the LT1 just provides a few more smiles per mile in real world driving.
4) I like the feel/shift logic of the GM A10 better than Ford. Much smoother in day in/day out use.

The Camaro just makes the more mundane drives, that much more fun. Mustang is great, just left me wanting, especially after driving the Camaro.

Than isn't to say that there are things I liked better about the Mustang:
1) Brake pedal feel was more responsive.
2) Contrary to popular opinion, overall, I like the looks of the Mustang interior better and the more open feel that it had.
3) Like the sound of the engine better, especially at higher rpms.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #42
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
I like the looks and feel of both the exterior and the interior of the Camaro better.
The interior in the mustang is cheap and silly looking in comparison. Take the start button for instance. It's ridiculous. I don't like the look of the new digital gauges either.

The steering response in the Mustang GT is really bland compared to the Camaro.

I like the steering feel and plated feel of the Camaro. To me, it feels like a proper sports car.

On a side note. Even with Ford now watering down the Mustang with the new electric SUV, they've been doing that for quite some time. Look how similar a Ford Mustang is to a Ford Mondeo. Can't tell the difference when I see them in my rear view mirror.

Last thing. I'll never want to own a Ford. Okay, maybe a Ford GT, but that's it.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote