Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
dads67

Drives: 67 camaro
body ground starter issue

on my 67 sbc Camaro starts fine then after driven awhile sometimes starts sometimes not. no click nothing.... found two issues one the yellow wire was broken into... to the starter as well as body ground wire from body ti frame was broken could the body ground make it not start? no headers
dads67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
VERY OLD problem. We used to keep a large craftsman screw driver in the glove box for this issue. We would MAKE CERTAIN the car was NOT IN GEAR, then short circuit across the starter terminals with the ignition key in the "on" position. This would cause the starter to crank and start the car.

If this screwdriver method works to start your car there are several possible solutions. Nobody likes the one we used back in the day but it DOES work - add a Ford starter relay to the circuit. No GM wires are cut and no permanent modifications. I can show you more if you are interested.

Yes I do have one on my car. :~D
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I used a push button jump starter instead of the screwdriver on my 67.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
pcguy2u

Drives: 2009 Corvette ZR1
On my SBC Vega it would happen that way when it got hot. Pulled the starter, cleaned the copper points and it was better. The final fix was what STINGR69 posted. Here's a schematic.
Nick
Attached Images

pcguy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
dads67

Drives: 67 camaro
FIXED..... removed starter had checked which checked out fine, while doing so discovered the body ground strap near it had an end crimp that had pulled out as well as a wire on starter had broken.

replaced the broken wire, crimped the ground strap and wire cleaned there contact points reinstalled NO ISSUES AT ALL ENGINE HOT OR COLD thumbs up
dads67 is offline   Reply With Quote