Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #15
actor2120

Drives: 2017 2SS Garnet Red Convertible
What is everyone's opinion on doing just a muffler delete?
actor2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #16
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
In my opinion, you should try a muffler delete first. If it's what you want, it was a cheap mod. If it's not what you want, it was a cheap mod... not too much lost.
For me, it was what I wanted to hear - nice snarl when I start it up (especially if it's already warm), no drone on the highway, and it doesn't irritate the neighbors (not really a priority tho).
It still sounds really good (to me) when I make it work :-)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
I just purchased the Lingenfelter axle back which is built by Corsa, it's a good looking and well built system but both companies are a joke. They did not include any instructions as to where to make the cut and it is nearly impossible to accurately gauge where to make the cuts with the huge stock mufflers in place and all the compound angles and bends. I'm not an idiot and the guy who helped me with the install is the head tech at an Acura dealership, built a low 9 second Evo and does great fabricating work and even he says it was very difficult to figure out. He ended up make three cuts(actually 6) to make sure he didn't chop off too much. In his words, "simply because of the lack of instructions it's the worst system he has ever installed" and to quote him "he has seen sh!t from China with crappy Chinese instructions that were easier to install". I called Lingenfelter yesterday and they pawned me off to Corsa. I then spent 35 minutes on the phone with a Corsa tech rep who was a nice enough guy but could not answer my questions or tell me where to make the cut.

....bottom line stay away form Corsa and Lingenfelter systems unless you want to mortgage 4 hours of your day on a job that should take 45 minutes or worse yet end up paying a shop for the install and them have to charge you 4x what it should cost because their techs run in to the same problem as I did.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #18
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
All these opinions and no clips??
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
slededorilllia
slededorillia

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
In my opinion, you should try a muffler delete first. If it's what you want, it was a cheap mod. If it's not what you want, it was a cheap mod... not too much lost.
For me, it was what I wanted to hear - nice snarl when I start it up (especially if it's already warm), no drone on the highway, and it doesn't irritate the neighbors (not really a priority tho).

exactly what he said.....best bang for your buck....good rumble, not enough to have the neighbors calling the cops on you, but enough that it sounds like a nice muscle car that it should sound like with this engine....that being said, i'm a cheap sob, good luck with whatever you decide....oh ya, i also forgot to mention i have a CAI as well if that makes much of a difference......
slededorilllia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
Rob Russell

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
https://youtu.be/KAdB2Qg_H1o

This is my exhaust. Again, exhaust sounds are a preference. This is what I liked because of the drone in the cab (very minimal.. similar to s-type). Quite when you cruise, screams at WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #21
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann356 View Post
Muffler delet honestly. Sounds nice and deep and isn't super loud. Take a look on YouTube. Other than that a lot of people seem to like the Solo axel back with J pipes
This is what I went with on my L99 SS 7 years ago. Just love the sound
and no drone at any RPM.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #22
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post

A muffler delete will by far be the cheapest option (did mine for around $70) and will net you a nice deep tone that many love. I would also recommend doing this first, if you dont like it, it's easy to move on from there.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #23
actor2120

Drives: 2017 2SS Garnet Red Convertible
So what I ended up doing was going with 2 Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers and deleting the resonator. I'm happy with it. The car seems a little louder and meaner without being stupid loud. I've read a lot from people talking about AFM issues with aftermarket exhaust, but I don't know how to detect it, because I don't know really what it is our what it sounds like. Can anybody provide any clarification on what it sounds like so I can listen for it?
actor2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #24
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347228

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90218
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #25
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by actor2120 View Post
So what I ended up doing was going with 2 Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers and deleting the resonator. I'm happy with it. The car seems a little louder and meaner without being stupid loud. I've read a lot from people talking about AFM issues with aftermarket exhaust, but I don't know how to detect it, because I don't know really what it is our what it sounds like. Can anybody provide any clarification on what it sounds like so I can listen for it?
Its a bassy sound, it sounds like having the bass setting on the radio all the way to the highest setting. It goes away when accelerating. If it doesn't sound it could be those j-pipes doing the trick.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:04 AM   #26
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Npp muffler thats been modded.... Heres my exhaust transition..

1- https://youtu.be/JcFhFAtQPZc
2- https://youtu.be/twIL1kqdtYA
3- https://youtu.be/xJLFCh4BFDU
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #27
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
I just purchased the Lingenfelter axle back which is built by Corsa, it's a good looking and well built system but both companies are a joke. They did not include any instructions as to where to make the cut and it is nearly impossible to accurately gauge where to make the cuts with the huge stock mufflers in place and all the compound angles and bends. I'm not an idiot and the guy who helped me with the install is the head tech at an Acura dealership, built a low 9 second Evo and does great fabricating work and even he says it was very difficult to figure out. He ended up make three cuts(actually 6) to make sure he didn't chop off too much. In his words, "simply because of the lack of instructions it's the worst system he has ever installed" and to quote him "he has seen sh!t from China with crappy Chinese instructions that were easier to install". I called Lingenfelter yesterday and they pawned me off to Corsa. I then spent 35 minutes on the phone with a Corsa tech rep who was a nice enough guy but could not answer my questions or tell me where to make the cut.

....bottom line stay away form Corsa and Lingenfelter systems unless you want to mortgage 4 hours of your day on a job that should take 45 minutes or worse yet end up paying a shop for the install and them have to charge you 4x what it should cost because their techs run in to the same problem as I did.
Sounds like your buddy is not the fabricator he claims to be. A great mechanic and a great fabricator are not often the same person. Anyone with proper experience should be fine, even your friend made it work.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #28
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Ive had almost as many exhaust combos as Gunmetal Speedster ....and thats saying something😀. I started with muffler delete..then x pipe...resonated x pipe. Then Flow master super 10. Now ive settled on my Corsa xtreme catback....looking back an listening to some old vids I should have bought a quailty catback in the beginning. The muffler delete sounded good at the time but now sounds unrefined to me. Imo I like the Borla S ..nice deep tone that honestly sounds good. Or Stainless Works retro chamber has the same deep tone that also sounds good. Do it right the first time....of course this is just my opinion.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, axle back exhaust, camaro, camaro ss, muffler