Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
Alena

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT/RS
Exhaust setup check before install

Hello all,

First thank you all for such great posts with some great info on these forums. I am a newbie Camaro owner and want to learn more about the cars in general to be able to slowly upgrade the models as my appetite grows. I recently acquired a 2015 1LT v6, which i though was a great entry model into the Chevy sports cars. Her name is Carmen and inspired by all of your ideas she is getting the exhaust system rebuilt in a few days, but i figured i'd ask your opinion if you think the planned setup works

Only the items in picture would be used with secondary cat and rest of stuff deleted.
Alena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #2
stlsv6

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls
Welcome, so I take it that when you say exhaust, you mean full catback right? If going that route you might want to get an intake, there are too many to list but for me I went with a cold air induction intake, solo high flow cats & catback exhaust as well, all that's left now is to get her a TB & tuned and she is good to go.

Remember, your engine is a big air box, the better it breathes the more power & torque you can get out of it.

With the LXF engine to my knowledge you cant mod them like you could the previous engines. Some of the other members on here will chime in and point you in the right direction as well. Hope this helps and keep us posted
stlsv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
The exhaust set up you propose in the first post is perfect, though I'd recommend the MRT v2 instead of the v1 based on other posters' responses.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Alena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsv6 View Post
Welcome, so I take it that when you say exhaust, you mean full catback right? If going that route you might want to get an intake, there are too many to list but for me I went with a cold air induction intake, solo high flow cats & catback exhaust as well, all that's left now is to get her a TB & tuned and she is good to go.

Remember, your engine is a big air box, the better it breathes the more power & torque you can get out of it.

With the LXF engine to my knowledge you cant mod them like you could the previous engines. Some of the other members on here will chime in and point you in the right direction as well. Hope this helps and keep us posted
Thank you and yes i have ordered a Robo-Fab cold air intake with the scoop and water bottle kit from Phastek Performance, which I am determined to install myself newbie or not I know i wont be able to do everything myself on Carmen, but it would be ashamed if I missed the process while sitting in some waiting room with a water fountain and 14" TV blaring local news lol
Old 03-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Alena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
The exhaust set up you propose in the first post is perfect, though I'd recommend the MRT v2 instead of the v1 based on other posters' responses.
Thank you, I decided to go with version 1 because i liked personally more how they sounded, from my understanding both versions are good options for a smaller V6 engine builds. I will post the results of sound and performance sometime next week.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
PyroLT

Drives: 2015 AGM 1LT
That setup will sound good. Its similar to my current one except I have catless downpipes. They make the car much louder, but also more raspy and rough.

The scoop and WW install should be pretty easy as long as you have some basic hand tools. I did need to use a dremel on mine. So beware about that.

Let me know if you need any help.
Performance: Overkill Supercharger, VMAX ported throttle body, JacFab Intake and Spacer, VTC Throttle Controller, ARH Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Res-X, Stock Resonator Delete, MRT V1 Axle Back, Solo J-Pipes, E85 flex fuel, MRR 228 20x10 and 20x11 wrapped in MPSS,

Cosmetic: 15% Tint on side Windows 5% on back, LED fogs, SS bumper conversion, de-badged, Z28 front grill, Eagle Eye headlights, HID conversion, VIS terminator hood, Red LED sidemarkers with 5% tint.
PyroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
DSX_Camaro

You'll love it either way. And like Pyro said, the intake and air scoop are easy installs. If you don't have a dremel, you might be able to get a pair of clippers or shears up to trim the plastic behind around the radiator. But certainly not difficult.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 03-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
PyroLT

Drives: 2015 AGM 1LT
A hot box blade/knife will also work in a pinch I'd imagine.
Performance: Overkill Supercharger, VMAX ported throttle body, JacFab Intake and Spacer, VTC Throttle Controller, ARH Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Res-X, Stock Resonator Delete, MRT V1 Axle Back, Solo J-Pipes, E85 flex fuel, MRR 228 20x10 and 20x11 wrapped in MPSS,

Cosmetic: 15% Tint on side Windows 5% on back, LED fogs, SS bumper conversion, de-badged, Z28 front grill, Eagle Eye headlights, HID conversion, VIS terminator hood, Red LED sidemarkers with 5% tint.
PyroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Alena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroLT View Post
That setup will sound good. Its similar to my current one except I have catless downpipes. They make the car much louder, but also more raspy and rough.

The scoop and WW install should be pretty easy as long as you have some basic hand tools. I did need to use a dremel on mine. So beware about that.

Let me know if you need any help.
Thank you, I read on here, that CATS can reduce performance/over all sound levels by a tiny bit, but Hawaii laws are strict and I wanna stay out of trouble
I did see that a lot of people went with ARH High Flow CAT downpipes, which is something I am looking forward in the future, simply because from my understanding the stock newer car CATs are pretty well flowing already so figured not much of a change. Please advice if I am wrong.

You also mentioned basic tools, i have like screwdrivers and pliers, but what would be a good tool starter kit I could get for working on my car on a newbie level?

Thank you!
Old 03-26-2018, 11:22 PM   #10
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alena View Post
Thank you, I read on here, that CATS can reduce performance/over all sound levels by a tiny bit, but Hawaii laws are strict and I wanna stay out of trouble
I did see that a lot of people went with ARH High Flow CAT downpipes, which is something I am looking forward in the future, simply because from my understanding the stock newer car CATs are pretty well flowing already so figured not much of a change. Please advice if I am wrong.

You also mentioned basic tools, i have like screwdrivers and pliers, but what would be a good tool starter kit I could get for working on my car on a newbie level?

Thank you!
Not at all. Cats are cats. 4 are more restrictive than 2, so on and so forth. But if you remove the stock secondary cats you'll gain a little power and a little volume while (I assume) passing emissions still. Someone else that is actually subject to emissions checks can hopefully chime in there. Being in FL, I am not subject to it, so I have ARH catless pipes. ARH high flow cats also may throw the CEL for inadequate catalytic efficiency, again, not something I have experience with, and for the money vs just removing the secondary cats, I can't justify it.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:55 PM   #11
Alena

Quote:
Not at all. Cats are cats. 4 are more restrictive than 2, so on and so forth. But if you remove the stock secondary cats you'll gain a little power and a little volume while (I assume) passing emissions still. Someone else that is actually subject to emissions checks can hopefully chime in there. Being in FL, I am not subject to it, so I have ARH catless pipes. ARH high flow cats also may throw the CEL for inadequate catalytic efficiency, again, not something I have experience with, and for the money vs just removing the secondary cats, I can't justify it.
I was able to delete secondary cats with no issues or errors from the computer. Mostly because - probably - the secondary do not have the 02 sensor. so if anyone wanted a cheap solution to make their car sound better removing NPP fuse and removing secondary CAT with everything else left in place stock made a V6 sound a lot more aggressive with very little rasp while accelerating, but still normal stock sound while idle (this was my lame solution while waiting for ordered intake and exhaust parts) It works.

Hawaii at least don't do emissions test like California. Its okay i wouldnt be suprised 2025 version of Camaro will be fully electric and lamo probls lol <3
Old 03-27-2018, 01:38 AM   #12
stlsv6

Quote:
Like stated earlier, Georgia has emission tests as well and the solo high flow cats are awesome, no issues.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
Alena

Just finished the installation this morning of entire setup as listed at first post. We cut the pipes right at o2 sensor and new setup all the way back. Drove street and highway and it is OMFG good. Raspiness doesnt exist at all, its very deep to the point of my seat vibrating to the engine like as if I had a set of deep sounding subwoofers below my car. My favorite part was that engine while idle no longer sounds like a dodge neon high pitched sound which was stock sound before this.
Sound from inside and outside is literally amazing i cannot wait to upload a couple of youtube sound clips. Also i know people talked on forums about drone sounds and i honestly dont hear anything like that at all. Every time i touch accelerator slow or high speed it is responsive immediate low pleasure to the ears. Another favorite of mine is the moments between shifts are so obvious now too... in love with this basically as you can see lol.
Performance wise im sure with bigger and straighter pipes the resistance is well reduced, ill let the dyno speak for all boltons eventually when im ready to do such step now its time to install the Robo-fab with schoop/ww kit, which ill be doing friday and pretty excited to do on my own. Thanks again for tips all <3
Old 03-28-2018, 01:31 AM   #14
stlsv6

Glad everything went well for you, cant wait to see your videos, the intake will probably make your ride sound a little bit deeper. keep us posted.