Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
lewisd

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
How are the OEM SS tires?

How are the OEM SS tires in the rain? It's been about 5ºC (40ºF) here lately, how are the OEM SS tires at that kind of temp? Are they worth the money, or are there better tires for the price?

I just bought a 2016 SS, with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires on it. (Yes, I know those aren't the stock ones.) They have a good amount of tread left. It's been fairly rainy here (as it always is this time of year) but I've been really surprised how slippery they seem to be. Are these tires just crap in the rain? They're bad enough that I'm considering replacing them long before they wear out. If I replace them with OEM tires, are they likely to be any better?

To be fair, my other car is AWD with snow & ice tires on it right now, but I've driven an RWD car (way less power, but also way lighter) with high performance summer tires in this kind of weather, and it was WAY better than this.

EDIT: Also, are we supposed to use "XL" tires on these cars? I can't seem to find anything about that in the owners manual.

Last edited by lewisd; 01-12-2018 at 01:21 PM.
lewisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
They're not that great. The OEM tires are run flat so the rubber is a little bit harder of a compound that makes them a bit worse in the rain. You're sacrificing a bit of performance for the run flat feature.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
A Continental DWS06 is not a OEM tire for the SS. Someone has replaced the tires on your car if it has those on it.

With that, the DWS06 is one of the best All Season and wet weather tires on the market along with the Michelin A/S3 tires. I have the DWS06 on my wifes Audi SQ5, got 25k miles out of them before I just replaced them last week.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
SS Life
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Those tires aren't stock and are MUCH better. I plan on getting those tires next
SS Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
lewisd

Yeah, I know the Continentals aren't the OEM tires. (I realize my post wasn't clear about that. I've edited it.)

I was mostly curious if the OEM tires would be any better than these, because I've been astounded how much the car slips around on these wet roads.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisd View Post
Yeah, I know the Continentals aren't the OEM tires. (I realize my post wasn't clear about that. I've edited it.)

I was mostly curious if the OEM tires would be any better than these, because I've been astounded how much the car slips around on these wet roads.
Better in dry, warm conditions only would be my guess. Lot of guys have switched to those Continentals for an A/S replacement. If you are having trouble in the rain, is this the first car you have owned with tires this size? I only ask b/c you will usually have problems with a lot of standing water with wide tires. The stock GYs have an advisory on temps lower than 40 degrees, due to reduced traction regardless of rain. So they would definitely make things worse.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Stock F1s are SUMMER ONLY tires so it will only be worse in this weather. And you'll also risk a lot of other things as well if you think about switching to them.

The DWS are supposed to be very good tires. It could be driving style coming into play (too much throttle), tread life, temperature (all seasons are only effective til 44F, it starts to degrade as it gets lower), or simply cause wide tires are not mean't for shitty conditions. As a test you can go into snow/ice mode to take throttle/torque management out of the picture.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
If you are having trouble with the Contis, my guess is that you will have even more trouble with any other tire, especially summer tires.

I've been daily driving my car 100+ miles a day since Sept. 2016. I switched from the F1 to DWS 06 in 2017 and saw a night and day difference. However, tires alone do not solve for characteristics of a rear wheel drive 455hp sports car in the rain. You can and will slip if you're even a bit carefree with the throttle.
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I have the Conti's and I love them! They are a good all season tire!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
With the GoodYears, the car handles great on warm/dry pavement, probably much better than any "all season" tire... but not good in cold, and unsafe in rain where you may hit standing water... hydroplanes way to easy, at less than freeway speeds, so I drive my truck on those days.

I am at 24k miles on original Goodyears! I will be trying the Michellins (PS4's?) next. I hope for a little quieter, more deeper tread, hopefully last longer, and I hope I don't loose too much performance.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
lewisd

Could entirely be a problem with my driving. This is the first car this powerful I've owned, and I've only had it 9 days (and only one of those didn't rain, but road was still wet) so I'm definitely still getting used to it.

Just went out to get lunch, put it in Snow/Ice. Noticeable difference, so maybe it it just a case of getting used to how much throttle I can apply.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #12
ShadySS

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisd View Post
Could entirely be a problem with my driving. This is the first car this powerful I've owned, and I've only had it 9 days (and only one of those didn't rain, but road was still wet) so I'm definitely still getting used to it.

Just went out to get lunch, put it in Snow/Ice. Noticeable difference, so maybe it it just a case of getting used to how much throttle I can apply.
Yes take it easy and learn the car, it's got a lot of torque and in the rain even just a tap can break it loose, especially in those temps.

As others have said those tires are better in the rain then stock.

Take it slow and you'll be fine! Drive safe!!
ShadySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #13
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
I've heard the firehawk indys are great and affordable. I never plan on tracking my car so they are definitely on my list to get.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The nice thing about the Continental DWS06 is they have built in tread gauges that tell you what the tire is good for.

On the tire the 2nd block of treads from the outside there is a "DWS" molded into the tire. When the DWS is there the tire is rated for Dry, Wet and Snow use. When the "S" is gone the tire is now only good for Dry and Wet use, when the "W" is gone then the tire is only good for Dry use and should be looked at to be replaced soon after that time.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote