Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #29
ssdavidw
Camaro OCD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS, RS, RJT
Glad nobody was badly hurt.

Can I ask what township this officer worked for? What was his attitude after he hit you?

2010 Camaro - Red Jewel Tintcoat, 2SS, RS, Auto, Black Interior, Cyber Gray Rally Stripes
ssdavidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #30
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdavidw View Post
Glad nobody was badly hurt.

Can I ask what township this officer worked for? What was his attitude after he hit you?
Good question!

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #31
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I am sorry but NO WAY you are getting a new car. That is minor sheet metal damage. Easily fixed. Door skin (maybe a new door), new quarter panel, new rocker panel, some paint and a new front wheel. Sorry. Roll with the punches and the car will be 100% fine if fixed by a good shop. I would demand you take the car where YOU want to have the repair done but you'll never get a new car out of that. I can't believe you even think you will.

Likely the same thing will happen to the cop that would happen to any of us for getting into an ACCIDENT. He will get a ticket and go on with life. It happens. Ease up. And fradulant medical claims... don't go there. If the airbags didnt deply and the car isnt that bad your "whiplash" claim isnt going to stand up.

Easy ways to tell the car is fine:

1. no broken glass
2. air bags didnt deploy
3. the passenger window is still seated so the door is not out of whack
4. nothing appears to have bent the wheels. the first two pics look like the wheel/fender gap is off in the front but the third pic it looks fine.
5. the gap between the front fender and door is even.
6. you obviously drove it somewhere after the accident b/c its parked by the curb in the photos.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #32
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
With the amount of damage that has occurred (GAH! It's hard to look at that picture)... it will NOT be the same if they just patch it up. :(
Dude, any shop could fix that in a couple days....
Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #33
DaveT

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM LS3
I can think of worse people to be hit by..............
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #34
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The point here is that an accident like this depreciates the value of the car. It doesn't matter who fixes it or how carefully it is fixed, it's not a "virgin" anymore and the carfax will show it has been damaged and fixed.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #35
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Dude, any shop could fix that in a couple days....
I agree. Although it sucks, it happens. Get it fixed, get diminished value, and move on. You will have a better paint job now anyways. I do hate to hear some people encouraging false medical claims and trying to get money out of situations like this. But I guess its hard to find honest people these days.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #36
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The point here is that an accident like this depreciates the value of the car. It doesn't matter who fixes it or how carefully it is fixed, it's not a "virgin" anymore and the carfax will show it has been damaged and fixed.
A lot of cars get damaged... It happens. Its not totaled. Sure, carfax will show its been repaired. It is only sheet metal damage. take some pictures, if anyone ever asks when you try to sell it, show them the pics. Really it isnt bad at all. It isn't really going to hurt the resale at all. You know what hurt his resale... driving it off the lot. I would bet you'd see no loss in value b/c of this MINOR accident. Its a bent quarter panel and door!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #37
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Could they even fix the gills? Wouldn't they need to replace the hole section?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #38
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
A lot of cars get damaged... It happens. Its not totaled. Sure, carfax will show its been repaired. It is only sheet metal damage. take some pictures, if anyone ever asks when you try to sell it, show them the pics. Really it isnt bad at all. It isn't really going to hurt the resale at all. You know what hurt his resale... driving it off the lot. I would bet you'd see no loss in value b/c of this MINOR accident. Its a bent quarter panel and door!

you can't tell that just by looking at a picture... I've seen some pretty bad wrecks where the airbags never deployed. If the frame is damaged, thats what will really cause it to drop in value. Sure you can straighten the frame back out, but it will never ride the same and if you ever try to sell it, it will be much harder to sell. Most car dealerships will not buy a car that has had frame damage. You can try to hide its been fixed, but its pretty easy to find a frame thats been fixed if you know what your looking at.
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #39
ruffian23

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT
Oh no, so sorry to see this! I had a couple close calls the first week I had mine - first day actually, a deer jumped out in front of me. Stopped in time, but still gave me a good scare. Then a few days later someone ran a very red light as I was crossing an intersection and whizzed by *right* in front of me going about 40 mph. I hope you get things sorted out with your car without too much hassle!
ruffian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #40
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC Super Venom View Post
That F***er better get fired!!!!
Seriously? If officers got fired for getting into accidents, there would be 1/2 the number of officers patrolling our city streets. Fired??? GET REAL. It's called an ACCIDENT for a REASON.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
Im glad you are ok and I hope that you can get your car fixxed or replaced to your contentment. I also hopes that the cop gets punished just as you or I would if we did the same.
I too, am glad the OP is okay. No one wants to see our Camaros get wrecked let alone see anyone get hurt in the ordeal. It's sad...and I'm SURE it will get fixed. And yes, the officer will get punished...as they all do when they are found at fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsshPlzz View Post
that is one of the things everyone brought up. if it were me who had done the same i would have had hell to pay, but what is he gonna get..
"days." The officer will most likely get a suspension. Not to diminish your ordeal/situation of what happened, but this stuff happens every day. Officers spend 8 hours or more behind the wheel of their car a day driving to and from calls. When you work behind the wheel of a car, your chances of getting into an accident skyrocket. It happens. The officer will be punished, so don't think he's getting off scott free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin1LT View Post
Tell me about it! Migraines will NEVER go away and can cause one to become virtually a slave to a dark room, the bed and heavy duty narcotics. They can be so debilitating as to keep one from the simplest of tasks. Work!? Forget it! I wouldn't wish migraines on my worst enemy.

Like I said, you need to get compensation for ALL of your losses and medical on this one! And I agree about your car. It should be replaced. An accident such as this one and the car will never ride the same.. Not to mention it, doesn't it devalue the car some after having been in an accident such as this one!?
loss in value should be included in the settlement.
Quote:
I am sorry but NO WAY you are getting a new car. That is minor sheet metal damage. Easily fixed. Door skin (maybe a new door), new quarter panel, new rocker panel, some paint and a new front wheel. Sorry. Roll with the punches and the car will be 100% fine if fixed by a good shop. I would demand you take the car where YOU want to have the repair done but you'll never get a new car out of that. I can't believe you even think you will.

Likely the same thing will happen to the cop that would happen to any of us for getting into an ACCIDENT. He will get a ticket and go on with life. It happens. Ease up. And fradulant medical claims... don't go there. If the airbags didnt deply and the car isnt that bad your "whiplash" claim isnt going to stand up.

Easy ways to tell the car is fine:

1. no broken glass
2. air bags didnt deploy
3. the passenger window is still seated so the door is not out of whack
4. nothing appears to have bent the wheels. the first two pics look like the wheel/fender gap is off in the front but the third pic it looks fine.
5. the gap between the front fender and door is even.
6. you obviously drove it somewhere after the accident b/c its parked by the curb in the photos.
Nice to see some common sense in here.

I agree with all of your points. I also agree that making certain fraudulent medical claims could open up a pretty large can of worms. If you are injured, go check yourself out. If not, don't say you are. Fraudulent insurance claims hurt us all and raise everyone's rates. IMO, the car is fixable and it'll run just fine. The diminished value will also be taken care of. Sell it once it gets fixed if you want it. But, if the damages do not total more than %70 of what the car is worth, it's getting fixed....no new car.

Regardless, OP, I hope you get taken care of. I hope you are healthy, your car gets fixed, and you know the other person involved in the accident is going to be held accountable for his/her actions just as anyone else in the same position (regardless of profession) would be.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #41
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Terrible. Unless the officer had due diligence to be lights off, no siren then most likely they will be canned.

Like others have posted, document everything and fight to the end. It is lawyer time if you haven't retained one already.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:01 AM   #42
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
Granted its very possible there is something we can't see in the pics, but that car doesn't look twisted at all. Usually if you have any frame damage then other areas besides the immediate point of impact will be at least a little jacked up. Everything looks perfect except for the sheet metal in that one spot. Even the one part of the structure you can see where the body is peeled back looks untouched. But hell don't take our word for it, go to a good reputable body shop and ask them. That said I hope you get good compensation from the city. Accidents do happen, but no headlights even? WTF

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote