Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-30-2023, 12:39 PM   #1
DKSynergy
Kunch

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Silver Ice Mett
Best Dash Kit

Hey guys, Been looking at getting a headunit for the Camaro. Originally I had thought about the 12" vertical screen from Digital Octopus because lets fast it that is just cool, but I was reading that they like to catch fire. Some of the dash kits I just dont like the looks of, there was a smaller kit from Digital Octopus that still kept the volume knob and similar size to the factory radio. What are some of the radios you guys have in your camaros and which would you guys say is the best to get to get a touch screen radio and bring your camaro into the 2020s rather then the OG radio. I got a bluetooth adapter off amazon right now so I can play my music off Amazon Music since the factory head unit only takes calls not audio and its working great but I wanna complete the look with the touch screen. TIA

^^^^ This is my old car, Haven't made new signature pic yet, but Check out its old build thread My Build Thread
DKSynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:33 AM   #2
Indian_Mack

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 1LT
I recently did the upgrade you're contemplating. I went with a kenwood excelon touch screen with android auto. For the dash, a PAC audio kit. This fits perfectly, maintains stock appearance and steering wheel controls. Installation instructions are pretty straightforward. Been about 4 months, and I've had no issues. All of this was through crutchfield.com. I'd recommend upgrading the speakers at the same time. Most modern radios might have too much power for the oem speakers.
Indian_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 03:20 PM   #3
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Very Nice. I am also buying a PAC unit, Kenwood DMX4707S, backup camera and Satelite radio. I got the list from Crutchfield, but don't have the time to do it so I found a good installer at a fair price. I'm going to run the camera wire to save some $$. I thought about the Excelon but that's a big jump. Already have Rockford Fosgate all the way around + RF 300W Powered Sub in trunk. Did you notice a big jump in RMS power with the Kenwood?
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 11:59 PM   #4
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSynergy View Post
12" vertical screen from Digital Octopus... I was reading that they like to catch fire.
I think if not an urban myth, it would be rarity or bad install.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=42
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:54 AM   #5
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I went OEM mylink (because i got the radio and screen free) and just did a AA/AC Wireless/Wired mod. Well worth it.
Attached Images

•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:45 AM   #6
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
I went OEM mylink (because i got the radio and screen free) and just did a AA/AC Wireless/Wired mod. Well worth it.
Would you share info about the AA/AC mod you have? Specs/brand of equip used and why? I'm a little behind the curve on current mobile audio stuff, but would love to add Apple CarPlay effectively to the OEM headunit.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 11:18 AM   #7
DRC69

Drives: 2011 RS 2LT
I bought the Cam1 with a Kenwood setup.
But I have not installed it yet. I wanted to do away with the knobs.
DRC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:07 AM   #8
Dirgam

Drives: 2012 VR GFX SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC69 View Post
I bought the Cam1 with a Kenwood setup.
But I have not installed it yet. I wanted to do away with the knobs.
I like the knobs. I have a Lexus GX460 and have to look at the screen while driving to make adjustments. The Camaro, no look always right there and easy
Dirgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 08:26 AM   #9
Indian_Mack

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
Very Nice. I am also buying a PAC unit, Kenwood DMX4707S, backup camera and Satelite radio. I got the list from Crutchfield, but don't have the time to do it so I found a good installer at a fair price. I'm going to run the camera wire to save some $$. I thought about the Excelon but that's a big jump. Already have Rockford Fosgate all the way around + RF 300W Powered Sub in trunk. Did you notice a big jump in RMS power with the Kenwood?
There's quite a boost in audio level. Very happy with it!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Indian_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:17 PM   #10
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Post-Install feedback

After replacing the power antenna module, it all works great. More power, very clear signal. Only complaint is the volume control. Still like knobs better than the steering wheel control and touch screen. I have late model Mazdas and love the non-touch screen controlled by a large round "joystick" in the center console, and separate volume control knob. Much more responsive and you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Otherwise I'm very pleased with the upgrade.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote