Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Question Going back to aluminum

Ok so i currently have a built 6.0 iron block with twins making ~1000whp.
I've been shaving weight as much as possible. Current curb weight is 3780 with a full tank if fuel and meth.
My weight disruption is off tho. It's 220lbs more front heavy.

Point of this post is what can I do to an aluminum block to hold the power I'm making with out dropping ungodly money on a billet block?

I have a 5.3 aluminum block sitting here. Was just going to bore it out and swap my internals from my iron block to the aluminum one.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
First mine is stroked ls3 block, the block has a cast in cylinder sleeve that's not replaceable by those with the understanding its a throw away block....1400 new$ bare....The twins pushing that power would require a lot of money and most likely a aftermarket aluminum block ...but iron is better and stronger and bore-able...a ls3 bock can only over hone .020 that's it, you have a 5.3 that's small.... whats its sleeves like?
Can it be bored? I would do a search under Junkyard Ls build........ that's netted me nice articles before on what goes with what and whats not worth the time. And its the twins and the block making that weight you know it, iron versus aluminum is about 70 lbs so your pissing in the wind, your drag racing not doing twisty turnies be real is my advice and leave it alone irons better for FI............... If your really worried add some weight to the rear.....LOL a parachute and some wheelie bars.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
My understanding has always been the LS3 block is fine with ARP studs.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Also stroking it to the 6.0 internals unlike a ls3 going larger where you have to clearance things like the end of the skirts etc for the con rods due to the large stroke...best done by pro,your stroking it the same length; a stroked 5.3 too; 5.3 cubes.... same length according to the first post I could find..so you would be smaller cubes, not wise and different bore.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=5.3+wi...&setlang=en-US

I think you will be looking at buying a new set of slugs...think the stoke is the same, slugs are not cheap forged BTW.........And cast in sleeves mainly a one hone job block.... just stuff to think over. If its was a 5.3 iron it could be over bored but machining so much to make a 5.7 from a 5.3 or god forbid a 6.0 would be stupid spendy and weak wall the iron instead of iron sleeved cast in only so thick walls..... so no stroking the 5.3...you wan it the deal is not a great thing for power dropping cubes....I went the other way 6.2 to 7.0 to gain the torque N/A.

Last edited by christianchevell; 10-08-2017 at 08:25 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Some block info here: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/max-o...for-ls-blocks/
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Uh.. I'm pretty sure an LS at least an LS3 can be re-sleeved. I have a quote sitting on my desk from a reputable engine builder to resleeve my LS3 (1200 RHWP rated on twins). He mentioned that the LS3 would be even stronger than an LSA block once resleeved.

ERL used to be the most popular company to resleeve LS3's engines if I'm not mistaken.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Ahhhhh and the quote was for? the cast in place sleeves in the aluminum do not mean they are necessary straight up meaning a initial hone.... and for $1400 a new block.....compare..... BTW nice article tells me I was right, and if my tuner would not do a re-sleeve I believe him.....Now a Darton sleeved custom mega spendy custom LSX type block well that's cool but big $$ And yes I figure my block being cast in sleeves is disposable only being able to .020 over hone....and align hone took how much of that factory?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Ahhhhh and the quote was for? the cast in place sleeves in the aluminum do not mean they are necessary straight up meaning a initial hone.... and for $1400 a new block.....compare..... BTW nice article tells me I was right, and if my tuner would not do a re-sleeve I believe him.....Now a Darton sleeved custom mega spendy custom LSX type block well that's cool but big $$ And yes I figure my block being cast in sleeves is disposable only being able to .020 over hone....and align hone took how much of that factory?
Are you asking what was the price or what was the part?

The sleeve he listed is a R.E.D. dry sleeve.
http://www.raceenginedevelopment.com...s3-dry-sleeve/

There are many articles that have many opinions so I do not doubt that you have read an article that discusses not to resleeve an LS engine.

But I think the question was can it be re-sleeved. The answer is yes, it can be re-sleeved. Now if the question is should you re-sleeve, that would be better discussed with the engine builder of choice that I hope has proof to back up there recommendation one way or the other.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
ecreps

Drives: 2014 1LE, 1996 z28
I think the iron blocks are only like 90lbs heavier, but i could be wrong.

At 1000whp youre getting close to the limit of a 4 bolt head I'd think. If youre going to use the 5.3 I'd just throw a firged rotating assembly in it at the stock bore, and spend money on some thick deck heads and a good valvetrain. You will probably need to spin it harder than your current larger motor.
ecreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
bayarea408

Drives: T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreps View Post
I think the iron blocks are only like 90lbs heavier, but i could be wrong.

At 1000whp youre getting close to the limit of a 4 bolt head I'd think. If youre going to use the 5.3 I'd just throw a firged rotating assembly in it at the stock bore, and spend money on some thick deck heads and a good valvetrain. You will probably need to spin it harder than your current larger motor.
Bare block only
6.0 iron gen 4 blocks are about 170 lb's

Aluminum ls3 is 110 lb's

Soo actually roughly 60 lb's

TSP has been advertising re sleeved gen 4 aluminum race blocks to handle over 1k using dart sleeves. Runs 6-7k. not sure if its worth 60 lb's. But you will have an extremely STOUT platform.

Have you already modified or replaced the front crash bar with something like a moly bar? front and back helps like 35 almost 40 lb's
Racing seats / steering wheel

Last edited by bayarea408; 10-12-2017 at 03:35 PM.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
ecreps

Drives: 2014 1LE, 1996 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
Bare block only
6.0 iron gen 4 blocks are about 170 lb's

Aluminum ls3 is 110 lb's

Soo actually roughly 60 lb's

TSP has been advertising re sleeved gen 4 aluminum race blocks to handle over 1k using dart sleeves. Runs 6-7k. not sure if its worth 60 lb's. But you will have an extremely STOUT platform.

Have you already modified or replaced the front crash bar with something like a moly bar? front and back helps like 35 almost 40 lb's
Racing seats / steering wheel
It doesnt seem to be the blocks flexing as much as the heads lifting. You can go to 1/2" headstuds and it helps some, but the issue is really that the heads warp with enough cylinder pressure. For anything under 1000whp aluminum block seems fine, for over 1000whp i would get something with 6 bolt heads. Just my 2 cents.
ecreps is offline   Reply With Quote