Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
ZZZ

Drives: 10 SS Camaro
Will driving a flat home a mile and a half and sitting on it a week damage my rim?

So I got a flat last night about a mile and a half or so from my house.

The car did not include a spare when I purchased it this summer. I drove it home on no PSI and noticed a smell from the rubber and a slight rubber on the outer lip of the rims that seems to wipe off.

I basically have to wait a week for the tire to come in from a Warehouse and its sitting in my driveway with a rear flat.

I am wondering if its likely I damaged my rim or if I drive it another mile towards the shop if I will most likely damage it.
ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
DO NOT drive on it period. You should have pulled over and called a tow truck in the first place. Who knows what kind of damage you did. Never drive on a flat.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
ZZZ

I had no choice my phone was at the house I was a mile from home so didn't take it with me anywhere.

Hopefully there isn't any damage I can't see any outward bends.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
What about the inflator kit in the trunk? Was that not there?
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
WOW... It's called common sense.

I would have walked home.

Your tire which was most likely fixable is now toast and you run the risk of warping/ damaging the wheel. Just remove the wheel and take it to the shop and have the new tire mounted and if your lucky your wheel will be OK? You most likely ruined the TPMS as well.
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Even blondes know not to drive on a flat tire.

A blonde's car gets a flat tire on the Interstate one day. So she eases it over onto the shoulder of the road.She carefully steps out of the car and opens the trunk. Takes out two cardboard men, unfolds them and stands them at the rear of the vehicle facing oncoming traffic. The lifelike cardboard men are in trench coats exposing their nude bodies to approaching drivers...Not surprisingly, the traffic becomes snarled and backs up.It isn't very long before a police car arrives.The Officer, clearly enraged, approaches the blonde of the disabled vehicle yelling, "What is going on here?""My car broke down, Officer" says the woman, calmly."Well, what the hell are these obscene cardboard pictures doing here by the road?!" asks the Officer..."Oh, those are my emergency flashers!" she replies.

Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
I had no choice my phone was at the house I was a mile from home so didn't take it with me anywhere.

Hopefully there isn't any damage I can't see any outward bends.
had no choice.....Right. Walk home and and call the tow truck from there. Really?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
ZZZ

Oh well bad move it happened hopefully the damage is minimal I spoke with someone and they think as long as I don't drive on it any longer I won't damage the rim at all.

If I did I guess I have to buy a new rim lesson learned. The car drove fine so hopefully I don't have a new rim that needs replaced.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
Oh well bad move it happened hopefully the damage is minimal I spoke with someone and they think as long as I don't drive on it any longer I won't damage the rim at all.

If I did I guess I have to buy a new rim lesson learned. The car drove fine so hopefully I don't have a new rim that needs replaced.
you live and learn. Hopefully you'll be fine and there is no damage at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
Even blondes know not to drive on a flat tire.

A blonde's car gets a flat tire on the Interstate one day. So she eases it over onto the shoulder of the road.She carefully steps out of the car and opens the trunk. Takes out two cardboard men, unfolds them and stands them at the rear of the vehicle facing oncoming traffic. The lifelike cardboard men are in trench coats exposing their nude bodies to approaching drivers...Not surprisingly, the traffic becomes snarled and backs up.It isn't very long before a police car arrives.The Officer, clearly enraged, approaches the blonde of the disabled vehicle yelling, "What is going on here?""My car broke down, Officer" says the woman, calmly."Well, what the hell are these obscene cardboard pictures doing here by the road?!" asks the Officer..."Oh, those are my emergency flashers!" she replies.

Good one!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
slicktempo

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I had a tire deflate on the freeway once and I had to pull over. By the time I pulled off the freeway, it was completely flat, but I drove it into the lot right of the exit at 15 mph. Wheel was fine, tire was trashed.

It's not recommended, but it's also dependent on the situation.
slicktempo is offline   Reply With Quote