Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
ZL1 heat = power drain

I've noticed the engine compartment and parts in there get extremely hot after a good drive. For example, the air box gets so hot that I can't hold my hand on it . That to me that equals very high intake temperatures with the current box design.

I've also noticed a significant power drain after 30 min of harder driving. I'd say at least 50hp are lost because of heat.

I'm seriously considering the open filter/metal wall around it as it at least won't accumulate heat from the box too. I'm also thinking of a 160 thermostat and the intercooler bigger reservoir, without getting into crazy mods....

Any other ideas?
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
If you are doing a lot of stoplight to stoplight driving, adding fans on the intercooler is a big help - at speed they dont do anything, but for cruising they help. Also, the stock intercooler pump is speed controlled by the ECU and doesnt flow much - add a better pump with a thermal switch.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
We are having record heat rite now in most parts of the country.

ALL cars suffer HP loss when its a blast furnace .Iv'e noticed it myself on my car and I have a huge stock dual pass intercooler due to my Harrop Supercharger being designed in Australia where triple digit temps are the norm.

Wait till the fall and it will wake back up....No matter what you do rite now, when the ambient air is around 100* nothing will change.
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Youre right about the heat reducing the HP. I think the aftermarket airbox is going to heat up too, but you might also consider a higher capacity IC pump. There's a thread about it in here. This would be a good combo with the larger intercooler.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
My advice (which I kinda know a bit about heat soak as does most 03-04 cobra owners) is to look into an aftermarket heat exchanger and pump and possibly fans to support. Another great option is to port the blower. This will lower your IATs (good for cooler temps and more power).
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Here is something along with adding RedLine Water Wetter that I did to keep my car running well in extreme temps and it worked better than stock. Throttle peddle feels much firmer even after the 3 hour drive in 90+ degree temps today and peppy is heck from stop lights.
Attached Images

L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Is that a MAF cooler? Good idea!
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
That's very smart - thanks!
What CAI are you using?
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
That's very smart - thanks!
What CAI are you using?
The Haltech mostly because of the MAF housing being so much in the middle of the tube. Car doesn't even act like it is 90+ degrees. I assume the ADM intake with the MAF housed in the cooler boxed area would net the same results. Many don't realize how much keeping the MAF cooler improves performance or should I say maintain it.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
I might be wrong but i thought all the MAF does is measure air flow...???
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
I thought the same and still am looking into the real function but I do feel improvement. ADM air box actually puts this device in the boxed area keeping it cooler.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
Yes but the location of the sensor is critical in determining what kind of air the ECM is seeing. Air changes density (mass) with temperature and pressure. Once your car gets hot under hood it heats everything else up such as the intake tube which in turn heats up the intake air charge. So the air density that the MAF sensor is seeing in the location that its mounted is less than what it will see located further down in the intake tube where the colder more dense air is coming in. This is why you see some of these aftermarket CAI's relocate the sensor down further in the intake tube so that the ECM is always seeing air with the most density. Once the ECM see's hot air coming in it will start to adjust fuel and timing tables to compensate because its seeing less air density. It's basically seeing that you're driving your car in a much higher altitude than you really are. Keep in mind that the MAF sensor works in conjunction with several other sensors for the ECM to make the calculations so its only part of the loop. But moving it out of the hot engine bay so that it can "see" more dense air (cooler) really helps to keep the AF ratio where it properly needs to be.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
hm... but the engine really doesnt see more air by cooling or relocating the MAF sensor...
Why not just program an offset into the reading of the MAF that would have the same effect?
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Warranty and legal issues. The manufacturer has to protect themselves from future claims and they also cant tell the EPA that their computer system is ignoring what a sensor is telling it which in turn affects emissions and breaks the law. And I'll leave it at that before this thread turns to crap.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote