Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
pittbull340

Drives: 2015 Blue velvet metallic camaro LS
Performance qustions about add-ons

I have a 2015 LS. I am looking to add some bolt on performance parts. I think I have it down to the C.A.I. brand cold air or the Injen cai. any one better than the other? Also looking at adding the MRT axle back exhaust and the SOLO high flow cat. Looking for guidance because this is my first build up on a car. thanks for any help.
pittbull340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
When it comes to the exhaust, unless you're super'd or turbo'd all of the restriction is at the cats, so the high-flow cats are a good choice but everything after the cats is really just for sound.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cold air intakes. I have the K&N Typhoon and love it - sounds awesome! Didn't notice much difference from the extra power/torque but I also had a throttle controller before the intake so I think that probably masked the intake a bit. I liked the idea of the long-ram intake by Injen but it requires replacing the windshield washer fluid tank with one that installs in a different location, and being under warranty I decided on the K&N instead.

For the throttle controller, get one . I went with the one from Vitesse Motorsports and haven't had any issues.

Other notable upgrades are 80mm throttle body (factory one is 72mm); ported intake manifold (uses factory intake, and ideal if going with the 80mm TB); and an intake spacer which adds a good amount of lower/mid torque.

A tune is also nice, especially if you decide to do multiple bolt-ons.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Buy an elite catch can first, this will help keep your intake valves from cokeing up and robbing you of the hp you car makes .
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
pittbull340

Drives: 2015 Blue velvet metallic camaro LS
Thanks for all the help and info.
pittbull340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Rapter9932

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LT/RS
Add on question for discussion. Careless downpipe or high flow?? And do you really get 30rwhp est from Careless? A local performance shop is running specials on headers and if it makes a difference I'll jump on the $100 off. Thanks
Rapter9932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
Gossamer

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
i'd love to do some mods as well. 6 weeks in I've added a VTC(which is a lot of fun) and just ordered the 4 gauge cluster pod for the cool look factor.

Ton's of mods to be had but choosing the right ones is the tricky one.

I want exhaust but have a convertible and worried twice as much about droning. I don't know how many long trips I'll take with this car but I know I'll hit the smokies with it at some point.

Overkill 80mm TB, ported intake and jacfab spacer, all of my short list but you're talking a good $1100 for those mods, plus another 1000 or so for intake/exhaust

For maybe another 20 hp at the wheel? Not a great ROI on HP but than again you can't take it with you.

It just makes me think that GM did a pretty stellar job tweaking the motor from the factory.
Gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
I want that Vitesse! but can a tuner fix hole in throttle mid-rpm's instead?
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
Twin Town Terror

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
1. Oil catch can and clean side oil separator. Put on as soon as possible.
2. Good cold air intake. There are a few. I prefer CAI.
3. Ported Throttle Body. Vmax, etc.
4. JacFab Intake Spacer
5. ARH or Hooker catless down pipes with Big Daddies Garage O2 Sensor Fix. Or... ARH or Hooker high flow cat down pipes if you can't run catless due to inspection.
5. Lighter wheels.
6. Rear gear change. I'd prefer 3.45 but most go deeper...
7. Tune.
Elite catch can & clean side oil separator, Apex Scoop, CAI cold air intake, Vmax ported throttle body, TTT ported intake manifold, JacFab intake manifold spacer, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Weld RT-S 17x5 f and 17x 9 r wheels, MT 28/6/17 f and M&H 275/50/17 r tires, TTT rear seat delete, Nitrous Outlet plate kit, 125hp jets.
Twin Town Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
I want that Vitesse! but can a tuner fix hole in throttle mid-rpm's instead?
I'm tuned and I still run my VTC on SP6. There is no substitute for what the VTC does.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter9932 View Post
Add on question for discussion. Careless downpipe or high flow?? And do you really get 30rwhp est from Careless? A local performance shop is running specials on headers and if it makes a difference I'll jump on the $100 off. Thanks
I doubt seriously that you get 30 hp from any bolt on mod. Catless down pipes bring the own set of problems. You will get a lot of rasp as you will eliminate the resonators on the stock downpipes. Catless downs eliminate backpressure and rob you of Low end torque. They will give a few ponies in the high rev zone, but not thirty. The first mod you do,regardless of what it is, will give you your biggest gain. All advertised gains of mods are gains made when putting on stock motors.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #11
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
I went catless on a different vehicle I owned before the Camaro. I constantly smelled gasoline while driving after that was done. It was awful.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Hi flows will give you the performance bump, won't steal your low end torque, and you won't have to smell gasoline while your driving.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
^ This.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote