Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Dynojet results for intake, headers, exhaust with SOLO hiflow cats!

Hey guys,

First off, I apologize for the crappy audio in the videos later on. My camera is not meant to be a video camera and you can certainly tell in the video as it is very choppy. (a new video camera is on my list!) Anyway, I headed back down to Total Performance in Monroe, NC saturday morning, the 26th for some HP dyno tuning with my new bolt-ons, namely the SOLO hiflow cats. It wasn't the best day by far for dyno tuning, but we made the best of it as I don't have alot of free time available! So with temps in the shop starting in the low 90s and ending up at over 100 degrees by the last run, we got some runs without tunes in and some runs with HP tuning done. So I'll definitely be back at the shop on a cooler and drier morning, and should easily make more power just by the temperature and humidity drop.

However, despite the hot temps, we were pretty pleased with the results. Below is the dyno graph. Each run is detailed below the graph. I started off with using my 'baseline' numbers from 5/7/10 with just a K&N intake and 3" Magnaflow catback, and adjusted them to SAE, so they decreased a little.

'Baseline' 5/7/10 run with K&N intake and 3" Magnaflow competition catback:

376.84 RWHP
367.38 RWTQ
Temp 89.32F Humidity 17%

Then we ran the car on the dyno saturday morning (no tune) which includes the K&N intake, 3" Magnaflow catback, and the addition of the Doug Thorley shortie headers, and what everyone is waiting for--the SOLO hiflow cats. With the combination of the addition of the DT headers and the SOLO cats, and in our best run we picked up a solid 12.47 RWHP and a stout 24.36 RWTQ with no tune There was a slight hiccup in the graph you can see due to an issue with the torque management (don't ask me what) but was eliminated later during tuning. Temps were already up to 94F and humidity increasing.

With addition of Doug Thorley shorty headers and SOLO hiflow cats (6/26/10):

389.31 RWHP
391.74 RWTQ
Temp: 94.74F Humidity 25%

Then we started tuning with the HP tuner. The stock tune was removed and the HP tune dialed in. First thing we did was take off torque management. When putting in the HP tune, the car wanted to make more power, but the ECU didn't. Once we removed the torque management, the acceleration and graph curves were smooth and allowed us to continue tuning with no issues.

Next we played with A/F ratio to tune in the intake, headers, cats, and exhaust. Stock A/F numbers were running a little high in the low 13's to low 14's. We decreased the A/F ratio to right around 12 and the car seemed to like it, so we kept it there. Couldn't print out the A/F graph, but I videoed it so you can see it during the runs. And yes, the A/F was measured at the tailpipe ( I won't get involved in that discussion!)

Third thing we did was lower the fan temp. The fan comes on in percentages according to how hot the coolant temp is. We adjusted it to come on at 50% power at 175 degrees and then increase in output as the temp rises. I believe the stock doesn't even kick in until 210-215 or so? I may be wrong at that.

Lastly we removed the all-important speed limiter not like I'll ever need to reach speeds of that nature, but it's nice to know you're not limited to a certain extent.

We didn't change any timing, it seemed good as is.

So with some tuning (and mind you intake temps were upwards of 120F), we managed to make some more power with a gain of an additional 14.72 RWHP and 1.73 RWTQ over the run with no tuning from that morning and a total increase of 27.19 RWHP and 26.09 RWTQ since the addition of the DT shorty headers, the SOLO hiflow cats and some HP tuning.

Here was the best tune run below. It just got too darn hot after that. We'll try again on a cooler day and should make another 10-15 hp and tq.

404.03 RWHP
393.47 RWTQ
Temp: 100.52F Humidity 18%

So SOLO's claims of 22 RWHP gain from the hiflow cats I think are pretty realistic. I'll definitely make more power when it's cooler.

I'm fairly pleased with the results and the sound of everything with the hiflow cats is awesome!

Below is the dyno chart and pics (again apologize about the audio, mainly just to show the A/F ratio).

best of first runs 6/26/10:

tuning run 6/26/10:

final tuning run 6/26/10:

Attached Images

VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....

Last edited by topgun1; 06-29-2010 at 09:59 AM.
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
I wonder how much of the HP/TQ gain was due to the cats and how much was the shorties. All around nice gains. I'm looking at a similar setup to break 400rwhp
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
Happy for you, man - great numbers especially with the "warm spell" we have been having! More smiles per mile! We plan to do some dyno runs when cools off some in the fall - just too damn hot here now.
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Congrats! Over 400rwhp, very cool! Does the a/f curve before the tune at 13-14 mean it's running lean or rich? Also, is the HP tune revertable to stock or is it a permanent tune? Thanks for your great post, good info!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
I wonder how much of the HP/TQ gain was due to the cats and how much was the shorties. All around nice gains. I'm looking at a similar setup to break 400rwhp
I wondered that too. wish I was able to have gotten the car in on the dyno after the headers to find out, but together not a bad gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead440 View Post
Happy for you, man - great numbers especially with the "warm spell" we have been having! More smiles per mile! We plan to do some dyno runs when cools off some in the fall - just too damn hot here now.
thanks! yep, planning to do some more tuning when it's cooler and see some better numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Congrats! Over 400rwhp, very cool! Does the a/f curve before the tune at 13-14 mean it's running lean or rich? Also, is the HP tune revertable to stock or is it a permanent tune? Thanks for your great post, good info!

the stock a/f ratio is a little lean. we enriched it a little more. Also, anything less than a 14.7 to 1 ratio is considered rich and greater than a 14.7 to ratio is considered lean so the less the ratio becomes, the richer the mixture becomes. We ended up pretty consistently at around 12-12.5 to 1.

thanks, hope you guys found some things helpful
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Off Topic: (Sorry)

Where did you get that shifter ball? Does it fit the stock shaft?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
I feel that much of the gains are from the removal of the OEM cats. I got 30 whp from ADM dps (no cats) and ADM race intake (same day, dyno, and car).

I bet your set up is only down about 8-10 hp from LT headers.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
WOW! NICE NUMBERS!

I baselined at 359hp/360tq and got 403hp/403tq with

Vararam
Dynatech LT's
Magnaflow 2.5" Street
Tune

Very impressive

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
what did you run bone stock?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I think you would have showed better gains if you would have gotten a base line dyno before bolting the headers and cats on because the dyno for sat. before mods would show a little less than May due to the heat. I'm kinda wondering though since you tuned, why wouldnt you just go and put LT headers on with high flow cats. I think it would have been the same cost with nothing to lose over what you did.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
Hi Topgun. Great numbers and thanks for the information you shared!! We're so glad that you like your set up.
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
Off Topic: (Sorry)

Where did you get that shifter ball? Does it fit the stock shaft?
got that from Barton Industries, it comes with an adapter. It's black anodized steel.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoSS View Post
I feel that much of the gains are from the removal of the OEM cats. I got 30 whp from ADM dps (no cats) and ADM race intake (same day, dyno, and car).

I bet your set up is only down about 8-10 hp from LT headers.

that's what I'm thinking, the flow really opened up after the replacement of the stock cats.

and yes, shouldn't be too much different b/w hp from the DT shorties and long tubes, they even show that on their dyno graphs on their website, only a couple of hp difference b/w the two.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
what did you run bone stock?
Never got the chance to dyno it bone stock, which would have been nice to see. It's first dyno was with the K&N intake and the Magnaflow exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I think you would have showed better gains if you would have gotten a base line dyno before bolting the headers and cats on because the dyno for sat. before mods would show a little less than May due to the heat. I'm kinda wondering though since you tuned, why wouldnt you just go and put LT headers on with high flow cats. I think it would have been the same cost with nothing to lose over what you did.
Yep, probably would have, but didn't get the opportunity to. LT's were a little more expensive and I'm not looking to supercharge it, there is minimal power difference, I like the low end torque the shorties give, and there is also a clearance issue with some forum members have run into with lowered cars and the LT's bottoming out. I'm happy with the shorties

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO2 View Post
Hi Topgun. Great numbers and thanks for the information you shared!! We're so glad that you like your set up.
thanks, much praise to you guys!