Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #15
00 Z/28

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Before you do any exhaust work on an auto, disable the AFM(cyl. deactivation). You can either use a range device that goes in the obd port or get a tune. Without the big resonator underneath, the car will sound like crap if it drops to 4 cyl mode.

Personally I have the Stainless Works retro chambered catback and love it. Nice tone, not too much rasp, and zero drone on the highway. Also it's the loudest system you can do short of changing cats/headers or doing a straight pipe catback. It's still not super loud though, no catback will be as the 4 factory cats really kill the volume.(Headers are in my future...)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
dugoodle

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziCamaro13 View Post
I assume I am not alone in that I am underwhelmed with the stock exhaust sound on my Camaro. I have a 2013 Camaro ss convertible The car is bone stock and I rather like the stock look and reliability I would like the car to sound a bit meaner but still civilized so my wife enjoys riding in it. I have done a fair amount of reading up on the different exhaust options. I have used Borla in the past on my corvette and loved it. It seems the new Borla axle back has an issue with drone. I have also looked at buying a NPP set up. I also read a thread on here where a summit xpipe was installed and stock mufflers were kept and the sounds was good. Has anyone here done this and if so is there a clip of it?

I am purely looking for sound as I understand to get performance gains that headers / high flows cats ect would need to be done and I am not looking to do that at this time. Just looking for better sound!

I am open to any and all advise.

Thanks

don
I installed flowmaster outlaw axle back on my 2013 ss auto and it sounds pretty good. You do notice when it kicks into 4 cylinder mode a little bit, but it's still way better than the quiet stock exhaust.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
dugoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #17
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Seeing you have an auto, you can experiment and go to a muffler shop and get a resonator delete done. There is a resonator about 3 feet long on the auto that kills the sound. So for about $100-$125 (just a guess) you can straight pipe the resonator area. Leave the stock mufflers and the sound should be much better without any drone. I would give that a shot before spending several hundred dollars on a axle back.

CIA (cold air intake) I would suggest CIA brand, Airaid, or RotoFab, none of these require a tune and will a little bump in power and sound.
Excellent advice. Plus AFM delete and ypu are good to go. This way....if you later decide on headers with hiflo cats....your exhaust will sound awsome AND no drone.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #18
pbretelson

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to pbretelson
I had a 2011 2SS auto and had the Solo exhaust with J pipes and can tell you it sounds great even with AFM. Now I have just recently picked up a 2013 2SS auto Hot Wheels edition Camaro. I too am thinking the stock exhaust note it to tame. I have noticed on the manual Hot Wheels edition Camaro, they put the NPP exhaust on with quad tips and the 1LE diffuser. I am wondering how this will sound on an auto with AFM.
pbretelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #19
dugoodle

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbretelson View Post
I had a 2011 2SS auto and had the Solo exhaust with J pipes and can tell you it sounds great even with AFM. Now I have just recently picked up a 2013 2SS auto Hot Wheels edition Camaro. I too am thinking the stock exhaust note it to tame. I have noticed on the manual Hot Wheels edition Camaro, they put the NPP exhaust on with quad tips and the 1LE diffuser. I am wondering how this will sound on an auto with AFM.
Sweet car! That was my second choice to my inferno orange SS that I got.

dugoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #20
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
there is a exhaust clip thread on the stickys at the top of the engine section, and for sure you should ditch the suitcase what ever you do.....
Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #21
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Mine is Resonator and muffler delete with X pipe. Nice tone no drone.
Worth trying this first before investing in an expensive system.

Last edited by Kens ss; 04-21-2017 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Correction
Kens ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #22
DonziCamaro13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Hot Wheels vert
Sorry, I was away for a few days!

So has anyone here removed the resonator and kept the AFM? Also I found a local guy who is selling a low milage NPP exhaust. What would I need to install this?

Thanks
DonziCamaro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #23
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:

So has anyone here removed the resonator and kept the AFM? Also I found a local guy who is selling a low milage NPP exhaust. What would I need to install this?

Thanks
I have Solo's Mach XL catback, Kooks LT's with cats and AFM still enabled. It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and no my car doesn't sound like a ricer when AFM is enabled.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #24
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:

Thanks
Doesn't the ECM control the NPP?
So it has to be factory programmed or it doesn't work correctly?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #25
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Quote:

Thanks
I was running resonator and muffler delete for 2 years with AFM activated. It really did not bother me very much. It would sound like a buzzing sound as it activated, then not bad. I am sure the buzzing sound was a sort of vibration during the transition in and out of 4 cylinders.
However, when I added long tube headers, it seemed to be more bothersome, but I wanted a tune anyway, so within a week I added the tune, which included deactivation of AFM.
I should add that the tune and no AFM, only amounted to .5-1MPG loss in fuel mileage. Not significant to me, especially considering the performance gain! I am averaging 18-19 Mpg, combined rural, freeway and some city, and that includes putting my foot in it ar every chance lol.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #26
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugoodle View Post
I installed flowmaster outlaw axle back on my 2013 ss auto and it sounds pretty good. You do notice when it kicks into 4 cylinder mode a little bit, but it's still way better than the quiet stock exhaust.

Man, just wait until you get long tubes on that sucker!

I have the same exhaust with TSP headers and X pipe and it sounds amazing.
It will make you spend 99% of the time in TapShift mode.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote