Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-16-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
Esoteric Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
2010 Camaro SS misfire/backfire

So, my Camaro will randomly misfire and backfire, but it doesnt throw a code. It will bring up the traction control light, but it will turn off eventually too. What are some suggestions to fix it? It has headers and stock wires, plugs, and injectors. Also, only 41k on the odometer...so, everything is from the factory.
Esoteric Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Standard question. How old is the battery?
Old 07-16-2023, 04:53 PM   #3
Esoteric Camaro

It's fairly new, like a year or two old. I store it during the winter, and it's a hassle to start it. So I usually have to jump it in the spring.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:16 PM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
If you are just letting it sit all winter and the battery is draining that much, it may have ruined the battery. While this could be a battery though, there are many things that might cause it. It needs to have a scanner running when it misfires so you can see if it’s one particular cylinder or if at random. If it’s kicking traction control off, the ECM is at least detecting it at the moment.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #5
Esoteric Camaro

Hmm, curious... why would the battery be involved in the combustion process after the car is started? It misfires or backfires sometimes with no indication from the ECM, I can just feel that its running rough. A bad battery could cause it to intermittently run "off"?
Old 07-17-2023, 04:35 PM   #6
gtstorey

The ECM is very sensitive to voltage levels and will show up as misfire at as an early symptom. But again trying to diagnose a misfire from the info given is a shot in the dark.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:45 PM   #7
Esoteric Camaro

Okay, so I just got back from driving it. It popped a P0302 code. So I'm thinking of replacing the spark plug wires with performance ones, so they actually make a difference, performance-wise? And then maybe a whole new set of iridium spark plugs.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:27 AM   #8
gtstorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Camaro View Post
Okay, so I just got back from driving it. It popped a P0302 code. So I'm thinking of replacing the spark plug wires with performance ones, so they actually make a difference, performance-wise? And then maybe a whole new set of iridium spark plugs.
Performance wires won't make much difference on a stock setup. Just stick with "good" wires. No EBAY or Amazon junk and probably not bottom feeder at the parts stores.

I would swap coils around and see if the misfire follows it.