Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
Burnout Czar

Drives: Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro 2SS
Thoughts on Filing Diminished Value

On the third day after I purchased my 2018 2SS I was rear ended by elderly couple who promptly drove off, but were later found by police. The damage was relatively minor confined only to lower rear bumper cover (shiny black part). The other parties insurance took full responsibility for the accident and the part was replaced with a GM OEM part. There was no other damage. Overall the cost to repair the damage was approximately $500.

Given the relatively small amount of damage is it worth it to file a diminished value claim? Does the severity of an accident show up on CARFAX? For what it's worth I'm located in Wisconsin.
Burnout Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Not sure, but I always thought dimished value used for frame damage,or other like that where it's "never really the same".

but i'm not the one to ask, i've never done it.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
i just read this...seems helpful.

https://www.thebalance.com/diminishe...cident-2645571
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Not sure about diminished value but I found some interesting things about Carfax with my last car.

I had a couple oil changes then at 24,000 miles, complete engine failure (VERY common for the 2.0T in the Cadillacs).

On the Carfax, the oil changes all were reported as "Vehicle Serviced". #4 piston grenaded so I needed a new engine, head and turbo. Carfax reported...you guessed it "Vehicle Serviced". There was literally no distinction between an oil change and a blown engine. I got an amazing trade-in value for it anyway so I take Carfax with a grain of salt now.

I just got my SS back a few weeks ago after $9100 damage from a deer hit. This happened 3 weeks after taking delivery and I haven't thought twice about diminished value. The car looks perfect now and the last thing I'm gonna worry about is a lower resale value.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #5
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
I just got my SS back a few weeks ago after $9100 damage from a deer hit. This happened 3 weeks after taking delivery and I haven't thought twice about diminished value. The car looks perfect now and the last thing I'm gonna worry about is a lower resale value.
That's the thing though. You can't file a diminished value claim through your own insurance. They'll tell you to pound sand. However, if OP's accident comes up on a Carfax, it will absolutely negatively affect resale value. It might note that it was involved in a minor rear end collision or that it was simply in an accident.

If you haven't closed the case with the other party's insurance, I'd recommend trying to file a diminished value claim.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
TybeeSS

Drives: 2017 2SS Auto
Quote:
so I take Carfax with a grain of salt now.
Me too after 14k worth of repairs on my Audi didn’t show.

Quote:
Not me. I got 3k on my diminished value and to me, that’s a lot of money to walk away from. If it did show (which I didn’t know before I traded it in) I would’ve lost at least that much.

On a $500 repair the DV won’t be much.
TybeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
TybeeSS

Drives: 2017 2SS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post
That's the thing though. You can't file a diminished value claim through your own insurance. They'll tell you to pound sand. However, if OP's accident comes up on a Carfax, it will absolutely negatively affect resale value. It might note that it was involved in a minor rear end collision or that it was simply in an accident.

If you haven't closed the case with the other party's insurance, I'd recommend trying to file a diminished value claim.
Depends on the state. In GA, the law requires the insurance company to pay out DV and they process it automatically so you don’t even need to ask for it.

According to collision claims for the OP state “ Wisconsin is a diminished value state, which means you may be entitled to the diminished value of your vehicle after an auto accident. The statute of limitation on diminished value claims in Wisconsin is 6 years, and Wisconsin does not have uninsured motorist coverage for diminished value. You can't submit a Wisconsin diminished value claim if you were the at-fault party in an accident, or if the damage was caused by something other than a collision”
TybeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:53 AM   #8
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TybeeSS View Post
Depends on the state. In GA, the law requires the insurance company to pay out DV and they process it automatically so you don’t even need to ask for it.

According to collision claims for the OP state “ Wisconsin is a diminished value state, which means you may be entitled to the diminished value of your vehicle after an auto accident. The statute of limitation on diminished value claims in Wisconsin is 6 years, and Wisconsin does not have uninsured motorist coverage for diminished value. You can't submit a Wisconsin diminished value claim if you were the at-fault party in an accident, or if the damage was caused by something other than a collision”
Ah. Today I learned then. Wish California was a diminished value state...
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
Snowbird12

Drives: 2017 2 SS vert
I hit a deer on the way to fla
$27000 damage on a Benz
We cant get diminished value in Canada
Nobody wants to buy this car, it was only bolt on parts and I have pictures and parts installed all oem and done at a Benz dealer
First class job was done
A wheel was only scratched and they replaced it for $2000, a hood that had a small dent that a dog with a note in his mouth could have fixed etc $2000 plus$500 for paint
All easy fix stuff
You people are lucky you can do that
Snowbird12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
Prodogs

Drives: 2017 2ss
The fact that you have 1 accident on your CarFax is enough to file diminished value.

Do a calculation on resale - one with accident and one without. CarFax never posts the cost of the accident. Just that you had one. Sometimes it will say minor but good luck with that.
Prodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
On the Carfax, the oil changes all were reported as "Vehicle Serviced". #4 piston grenaded so I needed a new engine, head and turbo. Carfax reported...you guessed it "Vehicle Serviced". There was literally no distinction between an oil change and a blown engine. I got an amazing trade-in value for it anyway so I take Carfax with a grain of salt now.

I will never use Carfax again. I bought a used car from a dealership with a clean Carfax. Come to find out it had been wrecked previously and was obvious once you looked underneath. I was told by Carmax they never use Carfax and use Autocheck instead. Autocheck showed the vehicle had been wrecked.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
That is so minimal damage.........

The insurance is going to require you to get an inspection by a certified inspector. Can vary between $50 -$200

I'd keep the info related to the repair for future reference and move on.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
kinkmangc

Drives: looking and looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
I will never use Carfax again. I bought a used car from a dealership with a clean Carfax. Come to find out it had been wrecked previously and was obvious once you looked underneath. I was told by Carmax they never use Carfax and use Autocheck instead. Autocheck showed the vehicle had been wrecked.

I had a car that the autocheck showed no accidents. I went with that and bought a nice G35. Was ok for a while and started having problems. Looked at the carfax and showed it was actually in two accidents. I got the police reports for them and were fairly serious. So i think it can be wrong either you use. Maybe use both and get a good mechainic to look at them. It it what i am planning to do next time.
kinkmangc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:13 PM   #14
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Take a pic of damage, print it & file it with car paperwork. Ta Da! Accident yeah? Big Whoop!
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote