Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #1
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
2015 Stabilitrac Issue

This is my first time asking for help from our members.
It does not relate to my ZL1, but rather to my 2015 DD. It is a V6, six speed auto.

Yesterday, I backed my car out of the garage in order to have some work completed in the garage. I used the remote starter function which operated properly.
Several hours later, I used the remote start again to bring the car back into the garage. It started normally, then quickly shut itself off. The remote start function did not then and will not function now.
The car started fine with the key manually inserted, but the DIC had a "Check Stabilitrac" light illuminated. The car shuddered noticeably as I drove it back into the garage.
Can anyone offer thoughts as to what may be wrong? I'd rather correct this myself, but will have it taken to the local dealer if need be.
Thanks to all for any help.
Jim
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #2
Moe A

Drives: 13' Camaro ZL1
No CEL? if so try checking for any codes, as my Remote start function does not work with a CEL present.

as for your car shuddering that could possibly be a loose ground wire, or a loose throttle body plug, or your MAF plug is loose.
Moe A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
The remote start function will not work if there is a CEL or an issue with the car's function. Its hard to say if there really is something genuinely wrong, as sometimes the computer and sensors go whacky. If it persists then I'd take it to the dealer for a diagnosis. Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
NVRL8 ZL1
W8NN4U

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
You could try to disconnect the battery and let sit for a few minutes, re-connect.

If the problem persists or comes back, a trip to the dealer is the best bet
NVRL8 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Charge the battery fully.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #6
ZEDL1

Thank you to all for your help. I appreciate it very much.

I'll focus upon the battery issue and will go forward from there. I didn't know that the auto start will not function with a CEL/DIC issue, but thanks again to our members, now I know.
Again, thanks very much for your help.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
tazman

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Any chance you have a throttle controller on your 15? they are known to give problems, you might need to recalibrate it.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
Charge the battery fully.

A battery causing a motor to stumble after it's cranked running and under power from the a good working alternator? Interesting..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
RankSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
A battery causing a motor to stumble after it's cranked running and under power from the a good working alternator? Interesting..
A bad or discharged battery has caused many stabilitrac issues on these cars.
I too don't understand why once it is running the alternator can't prevent this.
My car will stumble if I start it with battery voltage below 11.5 volts.
Any kind of misfire will cause a stabiltrac code to be tripped.
You calling bullshit on me?
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
A bad or discharged battery has caused many stabilitrac issues on these cars.
I too don't understand why once it is running the alternator can't prevent this.
My car will stumble if I start it with battery voltage below 11.5 volts.
Any kind of misfire will cause a stabiltrac code to be tripped.
You calling bullshit on me?

If its a functioning good working battery that's at 11.5 volts upon start, then it should charge back to norm, meanwhile the Alternator should continue to output 14.xx volts. The questions is what is the true output of your alternator during and after initial charging.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #11
RankSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
If its a functioning good working battery that's at 11.5 volts upon start, then it should charge back to norm, meanwhile the Alternator should continue to output 14.xx volts. The questions is what is the true output of your alternator during and after initial charging.
My alternator is fine. You don't have to believe me I am ok with that.
I am not the only one who has had this problem.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
NVRL8 ZL1
W8NN4U

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
The alternator will not charge a low battery, they are designed only to maintain what is required by the system to run. Throw a decent charger on it overnight if you think that's the problem.
NVRL8 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
You could go down the route I did, before finally replacing the starter with new and adding heat shielding to finalize the fix.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527875
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI, JDP ZL-R Rough Idle Cam, Upgraded Valve Springs and Pushrods, Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, Alky Methanol Injection, Rx Catch Can, 87mm VMAX Ported TB, Summit Performance Spark Plug Wires, 10" Lower Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with Magnaflow Cats, ID850 Injectors, Johnson 2110R lifters, EBC Slotted Rotors+Hawk Pads, Rotofab SC Coolant Reservoir, 160* Thermostat, Custom Mild to Wild switch, Tune, 1st to 4th bypass. 685 RWHP / 640 RWTQ.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:05 AM   #14
ZEDL1

Thank you for the additional input evonschu.
I've read the threads that you'd attached. This seems like an odd issue.
Moving into our new home here in America (I'm a very recently transplanted Canadian) has not allowed me the time to apply of the thoughts that our group has given to me. That changes tomorrow. I'll update very soon. Thank you again to all of you for your help and insights.
Jim